• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing Windows 7 on an SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Honeydiddle

Registered
Hey guys,

Pretty noob question but i have a 1TB Hdd and am about to install Windows 7 onto my 128GB SSD, do i just plug in the SSD and chuck the disk in? Or do i have to change the boot order?

Thanks for the help in advance

Thanks, thats what i was thinking i should do, once i have windows 7 running on the SSD and i have the 1TB plugged in again, will it boot from the SSD or the 1tb as they both have a OS on it untill i can format the 1TB?

You can set the boot order in your motherboard's bios or use the boot option to select the SSD as the drive to boot from. Then it is just a matter of wiping the HDD or doing whatever you want with it. :)

^ Yep, this is what I do. OS on fast SSD, large HDD attached for multimedia storage.

Sorry for bumping this topic, but I have similar question. How to properly format old system drive after new one has been installed on ssd?

You can format the HDD any number of ways, either from the Recovery Options menu--> Command Prompt, the Disk Management snap-in (dskmgmt.msc), an elevated command prompt, or the right-click context menu--> Format option.

Back