• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel 775 Abit As8 865pe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Arkangyl said:
It seems to me that with AMD"s $500 and $700 proc's being the only s939's around at launch Intel is going for the budget crowd as a 2.8ghz lga775 Pressy will only run $180, hell, the $500 AMD CPU falls in between a $417, 3.4ghz and a $637, 3.6ghz lga775 Pressy.

Just me but if AMD don't get its *** in gear by mid-summer I'll deal with the pressy heat for the $$$, also if Intel releases 64-bit pressy's to the public in August for the SAME PRICE as regualr P4's, well, sign be up an Intel guy

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15867

The introduction of -939s will probably result in a drastic reduction in prices for Socket 754...so AMD's got it covered.

Captain Newbie said:
Did you know that Intel doubled the transitor count between Northwood and Prescott (55 mil to ~111 mil)?

Did you know that Intel extended an already far too long pipeline (31 stages!)

Did you know that the number one rule of microprocessor design is that less is more?

Prescott is a flawed design.

did you know that prescotts were never intended to run in socket478 boards? of course you did.

what makes you say "an already far too long pipeline"? the fact is, northwoods squash everything else in their generation. if "less is more" when it comes to stages, then how come AXP's and the like don't stack up?

i lol'd when i read "the number one rule when it come to microprocessor design..." like you know more about cpu's than intel's R&D.

i agree presscot is not the be all end al of CPU's, and yes it has flaws that make them impractical for many users, but for someone who ENJOYS overclocking and all its facets (ie, finding new thermal solutions), it can really shine. mm...what's this? http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=301120

personally, i'd like to see AMD try to shoehorn a 90nm CPU into socketA at 2.6Ghz+. laaafffffff

Last edited:
hUMANbEATbOX said:
did you know that prescotts were never intended to run in socket478 boards? of course you did.

what makes you say "an already far too long pipeline"? the fact is, northwoods squash everything else in their generation. if "less is more" when it comes to stages, then how come AXP's and the like don't stack up?

i lol'd when i read "the number one rule when it come to microprocessor design..." like you know more about cpu's than intel's R&D.

i agree presscot is not the be all end al of CPU's, and yes it has flaws that make them impractical for many users, but for someone who ENJOYS overclocking and all its facets (ie, finding new thermal solutions), it can really shine. mm...what's this? http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=301120

personally, i'd like to see AMD try to shoehorn a 90nm CPU into socketA at 2.6Ghz+. laaafffffff

I did know that the Prescott was not intended to operate in a Socket 478 board. Critical design error there--putting it in a package that it was not intended for.

Anything that forces Intel to adopt a form factor that takes a 2.2-pound heatsink by default runs too hot. Pushing Moore's Law to the extreme by doubling transistor count and not accomplishing anything is not a sound engineering decision.

The Athlon64 stacks up to the P4, and has a shorter pipeline. The G4 and G5 (PowerPC) do as well, and have shorter pipes.

Shoehorning a processor into a socket that it's not implemented for. That's definitely prudent design. </sarcasm> Even releasing the blasted thing for PGA478 stretches what little ethics I've seen.

*steps back* I'm done.

Captain Newbie said:
-
Shoehorning a processor into a socket that it's not implemented for. That's definitely prudent design. </sarcasm> Even releasing the blasted thing for PGA478 stretches what little ethics I've seen.

*steps back* I'm done.

so, what do you care if intel puts out a cpu that basically only OEM's and enthusiasts will use? OEM's have great warranties, enthusiasts know what they are getting themselves into. noone is MAKING anyone buy prescotts.

i applaud them for getting a 90nm proc out on a old platform. at least Intel doesn't build in obsolecence. ahem..and you talk of ethics?

you act like amd has no heat problems waiting up ahead. talk to TC, according to him an oc'd presshot = about the same heat as a oc'd fx-51.

this thread wasn't "lets bash the prescott". save save those flames for the general cpu forum maybe?

step back be done, whatever suits your fancy.:temper:

Will they be repacking good old Northwood 800's so they will fit in 775 boards?

Would make a great overclocker with the 1066FSB of grantsdale :p

Sjaak said:
Will they be repacking good old Northwood 800's so they will fit in 775 boards?

Would make a great overclocker with the 1066FSB of grantsdale :p

Yes, that could wind up being teh 1337 and might even get me to buy an Intel product. :burn: Imagine that...

this thread wasn't "lets bash the prescott". save save those flames for the general cpu forum maybe?

All I did was offer an opinion. I wasn't prescott-bashing per se, I didn't come in here and say Preshott is teh sux0rs. I merely pointed out things that I simply don't like about the design. If simply giving an opinion, and pointing out something that I believe to be flaws in design is bashing...then I guess I shouldn't talk any more.

"Less is more" is simply a fundamental law when it comes to number of transistors, or pipeline stages, or .... :eek:

"Less is more" is simply a fundamental law when it comes to number of transistors, or pipeline stages, or ....

IMO that only goes when you have two companies, with both an X type of CPU. Both of the X types will have to have the same IPC, and about the same scores in benchmarks.

Then you can say 'less is more', cause the company who produced X with the least resources, the least transistors and the least technology get my vote.

Being able to make a far simpler product then the concurrence, and have it perform better, (in any way...benchies, compatabiliy, power use) a way that VIA just started walking, THATS the kind of company that gets my vote.

I have one on order, along with a 520 and some Komusa memory with A-DATA chips. From initial postings it looks like people are easily getting 3.6-3.8Ghz. I intend to use the rig largely for crunching SETI. Will start or post on anothere thread once I have preliminary results...

Hhum, lets se... they doubled the transistors in the prescott to get it running, they also increased the pipelines with close to 50%... and STILL it aint that much slower then its relative northwood.. i dont quite see how you mean it is a failiture. Even less, when according to reports the prescott thrives more and more the higher the speed goes, supposedly it is 10% faster per clock then the northwood when passing 4Ghz... Offcourse, i havent tested, i dident even care, i upgraded from a 2.4C to a 2.8E and gained on that way, since it was a free upgrade.. the heat has since been scary, but that is about to get sorted.

All in all, it seams to be a well worked cpu, if they can make a cpu with 50Stages long pipelines, 4 logic cpu's/core, and dual core, and have it pass 10Ghz... i honestly dont care if there is a cpu with a 25stages long pipeline that performes similar (better or worse) they still made a good days work.
B!

This may be digging old rooms, but all your CPU jargon/opinions can be decided by, urm, counting the mosfets maybe? hehe

I didn't mean the prescott is flawless, but i've never seen a new "ownage" product that abided by the rules.

~t0m

Finally have my AS8/2.8E/Komusa A-Data system up and running. Still have not tried any significant overclocking. Anyone know when the Zalman CNPS 7700's will be out?

Captain Newbie said:
...They won't listen to their own engineers...
education.yahoo.com defines engineering (the task performed by engineers) as:

"1a. The application of scientific and mathematical principles to practical ends such as the design, manufacture, and operation of efficient and economical structures, machines, processes, and systems. b. The profession of or the work performed by an engineer."

The pencil pushers in silicon valley cubicals sure don't come up with these designs, so if they dont listen to their engineers then where do these 'marvels' come from???

Back