• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Core i7-930

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Raven-Claw

Hi there
Abit new to this forum and this is my first post.

I have a Intel i7-930 @ 4.0Ghz (200x20) with no trouble at all. Yes it gets a bit hot when using Prime95 (70-72) but running games it hits only 52-55 degrese.

Before this chip i had a i7-920 running at the same overclock but it hit 80-84 degrese and i thought it was abit hot but ran with no trouble at all the time i had it plugged in. Still works without any hickups.

Been thinking of getting me an Corsair H100 to get the temps down abit as i´m quite satisfied with this overclock on the i7-930.
Could i lower the temps by changing the fsb/multi ration? Where is the sweetspot for lowest temps @ 4.0Ghz?

When it comes to Intels max TCase, i always thought that was running at max load 24/7 and therefor if you go past it, it´s stable and you dont run the cpu 24/7 at max load, i dont think its so much risk.

But thats me and my thoughts thats worked for me ever since i started to overclock with my first subject, the Intel Pentium MMX 166Mhz and i´ve not yet burn any of my cpu´s.

Cheers everyone

Tcase = 67.9C for the 930, while TjMax (Thermal Junction Max) = 100C. The temp's are fine at 70-72C, assuming you're referring to the core temp's (Tjunction), and not the CPU temp (Tcase). We normally recommend a Distance to TjMax of 20-25C, or 75-80C max. in the case of the 930, and referring to the core temp's. You can monitor the core temp's w/ either Core Temp or Real Temp. And since no two chips are identical, even though they're in the same family, it's impossible to tell you what the sweet spot for lowest temp's is for your particular chip. Just lower the Vcore to the point that Prime, OCCT, LinX, etc. fail, then bump it up incrementally until any or all pass stability testing.

Last edited:
Tcase = 67.9C for the 930, while TjMax (Thermal Junction Max) = 100C. The temp's are fine at 70-72C, assuming you're referring to the core temp's (Tjunction), and not the CPU temp (Tcase). We normally recommend a Distance to TjMax of 20-25C, or 75-80C max. in the case of the 930, and referring to the core temp's. You can monitor the core temp's w/ either Core Temp or Real Temp.

That´s greate news and why its has worked for me as i ment the core temps with my temps, thats all i ever looked at with all my cpu´s ;)

Many thanks
Cheers

I have a 920 and a 980. 980 runs about 10c cooler at stock settings. Haven't overclocked the 980 but the 920 was a happy camper at 3.55GHz under a NH-U12P.

Could i overclock my 930 higher with maintaining the temps but with different FSB and multi?

You could probably hit 4.2GHz (200 BCLK x 21) w/ HT enabled, and in the neighborhood of 1.3-1.32V Vcore. And depending on what the Vcore is now at 4.0GHz, you may or may not need to increase the Vcore (higher Vcore = higher core temp's) to hit a stable 4.2GHz.

I´m now at vcore 1,296 so you think it would be safe to go upp an notch to 1.3~1.32 multipler 21 to try hitting the 4.2 marker?
If i go past 25-30 to TjMax, is there any risk?
I was thinking if it got to 20-25 to TjMax? Or will i burn the cpu then?

Edit: I just completed a gaminground @ 4.0Ghz and had Real Temp 3,7 in the background and the max temps was C1=61, C2=59, C3=62, C4=60 on the cores which is real nice i think. I think i will try 4.2Ghz later tonight if i have time and i´ll get back with the temps.

Edit 2: I just tested the 4.2Ghz mark and the system started and all looked good. But then when i started to stress test with Prime95 and Real temp i got BSOD and i started to up the vcore from where i had it @ 4.0Ghz. TjMax was between 19-22 on all cores and think it was to hot, what do you guys think? Also i noticed before i stopped overclocking that when i reiced the vcore the last time it BSOD earlier then with settings before.

Anyways i wasn´t able to get the dam thing stable so after a few tries i went back down to 4.0Ghz. Do you guys think that i will be able to get it stable @ 4.2Ghz when i have change to Corsair H100?

Here are my settings that i use now on my i7-930 that i got from my older i7-920, the only difference is the CPU vcore and QPI/DRAM Voltage:
CPU Vcore = 1.32500
CPU PLL Vcore = Auto
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage = 1.24375
IOH Voltage = 1.14
IOH PCIE Voltage = 1.50
ICH Voltage = 1.20
ICH PCIE Voltage = 1.50
DRAM Bus Voltage = 1.64
---------------------------------
Load-Line Calibration = Auto
CPU Differential Amplitude = 800mV
CPU Clock Skew = Delay 300ps