• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel D5400XS Skulltrail Instability Issues - Please Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sneaky

Skulltrail Junkie
The following are my system specifications:

• Processor: 2x Intel Xeon E5420 Harpertown 2.5GHz/12MB L2 Quad Core LGA771 Processor @ 3.00GHz (400x7.5)
  • Motherboard: Intel D5400XS Dual LGA771 Motherboard
  • Memory: 8GB (4x2GB) A-Data 240-Pin DDR2-800/PC2-6400 FB-DIMM/ECC RAM 5-5-5-15 @ 1.8v
  • Graphics: MSI Radeon HD4870 1GB
  • Audio: Creative Soundblaster Xtreme Music 7.1 PCI Sound Card
  • Storage: 2x Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 16MB Cache SATA (RAID 0)
  • 1x Seagate ES 320GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA II
  • 1x Western Digital Caviar Blue 160gb
  • Power: Zippy PSL-6701P-SATA 700w Server PSU w/ Full PFC (45a 12v rail)

I have had this running stable on a daily basis at 3.0ghz (400x7.5) at 1.300v, RAM 1:1 @ 400mhz 5-5-5-15 @ 1.8v, FSB and MCH at stock voltages.

Now ever since I rebuilt it and booted it up, I have had nothing but problems. It will lock up, BSOD, mem dump, and then hang at the BSOD mem dump screen. I've played with every single setting in the latest D5400XS BIOS. Tried running everything at stock/default. Raising voltages for CPU, MCH, FSB, and RAM all the way up to levels that are definitely unsafe - 1.55v CPU, 1.5v FSB, 1.6v MCH, 2.2v RAM . Tried doing SPD RAM timings at 6-5-5-18... all the way to 6-6-6-18 at 2.1v. NOTHING will get this system to run stable. Re-flashed the BIOS, tried older BIOS versions, enabled and disabled everything in BIOS. Switched from water to air cooling. Run the board in the PC and out for the PC. Re-mount waterblocks, swap video cards, swap audio cards, swap hard drives. Run single sticks of RAM, single hard drives. Went through every possible test on Hirens Boot CD v13.2 - including an 8 hour Memtest loop that ended with NO ERRORS. Can run 32m Super Pi just fine, Prime 95 stress test with large FFT and blend comes up without rounding errors after running it for an hour.

This is driving me absolutely friggin' crazy. This system was ROCK solid 10 month ago, then I get locked up for a probation violation, I get out, rebuild the system, and now I can't go an hour without the damned thing locking up on me. I'll just be on the desktop, listening to music, or browsing the web, and it'll just lock up, BSOD, and then hang at the BSOD screen. I've tried waiting for it to finish the memory dump at the point, but it is just stuck, forcing me to manually restart or power cycle it to reboot.

Sometime it'll work for 3-4 hours at a rip, sometimes it'll BSOD within a few minutes. I've tried to reproduce this problem, but there is never any pattern to it, it'll hang at the most random times possible.

Right now I'm at 400x7.5 - 3.00ghz, CPU's at 1.375v, RAM 1:1 400mhz 5-5-5-15 @ 2.0v, FSB voltage at 1.35, MCH NB voltage at 1.45, C1E disabled, speed step disabled, spread spectrum disabled, PCI-E locked @ 100mhz. This seems to keep me stable for longer periods of time - and will go longer without locking up than it will at stock speeds, voltages, and latencies.

I know what I'm doing with this, but this is beyond me. I've exhausted my resources, and no search on OCF, OCN, XS, RRR, 2CPU, Google, or Intel support has netted me anything that might resemble a solution to this problem. I'm reaching out to my loyal OC Forums members and asking for help at this point, because I'm clueless, dumbfound, and straight up frustrated with this damned machine, and about to throw my arms up in defeat, shove this Skulltrail build into the closet, and use my POS 930 Presler machine until I can afford to build a new computer.

So if anyone has any ideas or suggestions for me at this point, or know something that I should try that I haven't already done... PLEASE let me know. I'm desperate and will try anything at this point in order to get this thing to play nice.

Thank you in advance
-Justin

Last edited:
You've probably already tried it, but did you reinstall Windows?

It really sounds like a RAM problem. I've had sandy bridge do this to me and it always went back to RAM. Memtest is very far from fool-proof and isn't the best IMHO. Do you happen to have any more RAM you can use lying around somewhere?

skulltrail problem

The following are my system specifications:

• Processor: 2x Intel Xeon E5420 Harpertown 2.5GHz/12MB L2 Quad Core LGA771 Processor @ 3.00GHz (400x7.5)
  • Motherboard: Intel D5400XS Dual LGA771 Motherboard
  • Memory: 8GB (4x2GB) A-Data 240-Pin DDR2-800/PC2-6400 FB-DIMM/ECC RAM 5-5-5-15 @ 1.8v
  • Graphics: MSI Radeon HD4870 1GB
  • Audio: Creative Soundblaster Xtreme Music 7.1 PCI Sound Card
  • Storage: 2x Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 16MB Cache SATA (RAID 0)
  • 1x Seagate ES 320GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA II
  • 1x Western Digital Caviar Blue 160gb
  • Power: Zippy PSL-6701P-SATA 700w Server PSU w/ Full PFC (45a 12v rail)

I have had this running stable on a daily basis at 3.0ghz (400x7.5) at 1.300v, RAM 1:1 @ 400mhz 5-5-5-15 @ 1.8v, FSB and MCH at stock voltages.

Now ever since I rebuilt it and booted it up, I have had nothing but problems. It will lock up, BSOD, mem dump, and then hang at the BSOD mem dump screen. I've played with every single setting in the latest D5400XS BIOS. Tried running everything at stock/default. Raising voltages for CPU, MCH, FSB, and RAM all the way up to levels that are definitely unsafe - 1.55v CPU, 1.5v FSB, 1.6v MCH, 2.2v RAM . Tried doing SPD RAM timings at 6-5-5-18... all the way to 6-6-6-18 at 2.1v. NOTHING will get this system to run stable. Re-flashed the BIOS, tried older BIOS versions, enabled and disabled everything in BIOS. Switched from water to air cooling. Run the board in the PC and out for the PC. Re-mount waterblocks, swap video cards, swap audio cards, swap hard drives. Run single sticks of RAM, single hard drives. Went through every possible test on Hirens Boot CD v13.2 - including an 8 hour Memtest loop that ended with NO ERRORS. Can run 32m Super Pi just fine, Prime 95 stress test with large FFT and blend comes up without rounding errors after running it for an hour.

This is driving me absolutely friggin' crazy. This system was ROCK solid 10 month ago, then I get locked up for a probation violation, I get out, rebuild the system, and now I can't go an hour without the damned thing locking up on me. I'll just be on the desktop, listening to music, or browsing the web, and it'll just lock up, BSOD, and then hang at the BSOD screen. I've tried waiting for it to finish the memory dump at the point, but it is just stuck, forcing me to manually restart or power cycle it to reboot.

Sometime it'll work for 3-4 hours at a rip, sometimes it'll BSOD within a few minutes. I've tried to reproduce this problem, but there is never any pattern to it, it'll hang at the most random times possible.

Right now I'm at 400x7.5 - 3.00ghz, CPU's at 1.375v, RAM 1:1 400mhz 5-5-5-15 @ 2.0v, FSB voltage at 1.35, MCH NB voltage at 1.45, C1E disabled, speed step disabled, spread spectrum disabled, PCI-E locked @ 100mhz. This seems to keep me stable for longer periods of time - and will go longer without locking up than it will at stock speeds, voltages, and latencies.

I know what I'm doing with this, but this is beyond me. I've exhausted my resources, and no search on OCF, OCN, XS, RRR, 2CPU, Google, or Intel support has netted me anything that might resemble a solution to this problem. I'm reaching out to my loyal OC Forums members and asking for help at this point, because I'm clueless, dumbfound, and straight up frustrated with this damned machine, and about to throw my arms up in defeat, shove this Skulltrail build into the closet, and use my POS 930 Presler machine until I can afford to build a new computer.

So if anyone has any ideas or suggestions for me at this point, or know something that I should try that I haven't already done... PLEASE let me know. I'm desperate and will try anything at this point in order to get this thing to play nice.

Thank you in advance
-Justin

Last edited:
hi, the skulltrail motherboard only supports 1.0 graphics cards not 2.0 like yours hope that helps.

Back