• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

INTEL HASWELL-E The lastest up date!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think you are spot on price wise... but I ask, for your sake, make sure what you do can use 8 cores, otherwise, save yourself $500 and get the Hex.

I think you are spot on price wise... but I ask, for your sake, make sure what you do can use 8 cores, otherwise, save yourself $500 and get the Hex.

The More cores and more cache the better because I use my system for video editing/photoshop/lightroom work. 4K video editing will definately need this cpu for smooth editing and play back.

Sounds good. I would still wait to see comparisons between the two for what you do and then determine if a near 100% price increase is worth the difference...

For example, look at the 4930K and 4960X - Is that meager difference worth $500? Granted there is a core difference so what you see here will not be the difference between the $500 Hex and $1k+ Octo, but still.. That is something to look at... for those that $1K actually matters to anyway.

Last edited:
I think that after releasing new series will be good to look around for s2011 10/12 core xeons. I already saw one on the local auctions for about $700. Considering that every better X79 board can make 166+bclk then there is still a chance on 5GHz 20-24 thread cpu. Replacing 6 core IB-E with 6 core Haswell-E will be probably waste of money. Looking at the X99 chipset specs, boards also won't be any special.
In this case I'm waiting more for broadwell cheaper series that can bring more new stuff and probably better performance per core.

Price and sense wise a good IB-E Xeon would be a better way to go, but some will always wish to have the latest Tech out there!!

To be totally honest i think my next step would be to look @ a 10/12 core Xeon to run in my RIVBE here, as you would not need to change anything else.

All in all some great incite and posts on this thread so far thanks! ;) :thup:

AJ.

I'm still on an LGA 775 and my ol' Q6600 LOL!

Someday I'll upgrade again. I'll just keep watching and eventually I'll pounce on some new hardware.

Started with a mid tower, then went small with a Shuttle PC, Finally back up to my full tower I'm on now.

My son's Haswell gaming PC is sure making me envious as it flat out stomps my rig.

The 5960X looks amazing. But waaay more than I'm willing to pay for a CPU. :(

I could conceivably go for the 5930K. I've been planning to jump to Intel for a while now (since AMD suspended any plans for enthusiast chips) but I keep putting it off because there's always something better about to arrive. :/

This could be my jumping on point.

I am sure these chips will be beasts, only bummer is it means new everything, chip, board and memory. Won't be a cheap date for sure especially for competetive level hardware.

X79 has led a LONG life though (for an intel socket)... I can't say it bothers me (again, especially for Intel).

No argument there, it has survived and is still the best platform period for any sofware or benchmark that is capable of using it's high core count and memory bandwidth :)

Just a bummer that the cost of competing at a high level will be steep

I've mentioned 2011 Xeons just because when new technology is introduced then many companies are replacing servers and some recyclers are putting a lot of half price parts on auctions. X58 Xeons were about 30% cheaper than i7 at similar clock. I think that they still can be something new for this platform.

I'm not expecting bigger performance boost than we have seen between SB-E and IB-E. Actually I don't think there will be any improvement in memory department unless we will see stable 3000+ DDR4 running at CL12-13. X79 has some performance issues above 3000 clock, maybe IMC wall or something. Even though you can run it at 3200+ then performance isn't better at anything above ~2933.

Back