• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5820K vs 5930K - Gaming performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You are waisting your time on this front, which is why I didnt even bother asking anyone about it. This was never about motherboards.

And you're wasting enough money to have bought another 7970.

Pierre, I hear ya... these are my questions in return...

The Asus X99-E WS has 64 PCI-E Lanes to work with, NO OTHER motherboard can boast that. I am running 3x 7970, and yes, if i find yet another one used, im going quad! I dont care about the only 2% difference, Gen3 16x on all 3 or 4 cards, is my aim.
What will the PLX chip actually gain you, in FPS, versus the native 5930K setup? More lanes... ok. Got it. But you know that a PLX chip adds latency, correct? That latency will essentially be a net wash versus native lanes at a lesser speed. So yippee you have more lanes but to what end? It literally yields you nothing except to be able to say the statement, "I have 64 lanes". That is literally all there is to it. No performance gains, and perhaps it is less due to the latency (look).

Link - http://www.plxtech.com/files/pdf/technical/expresslane/Overcoming_PCIe_Latency_PLX.pdf
Link2 - http://www.anandtech.com/show/6170/...x-8747-featuring-gigabyte-asrock-ecs-and-evga

So while you are thinking you are getting the max from your hardware by using a PLX, it is actually no different or worse due to the latency it adds. Clearly its still up to you as to what you want and what you will get. Our job is to educate and inform, its yours to pull the trigger. Just don't get caught up in buying things for the wrong reasons. :)

Last edited:
Pierre, I hear ya... these are my questions in return...

What will the PLX chip actually gain you, in FPS, versus the native 5930K setup? More lanes... ok. Got it. But you know that a PLX chip adds latency, correct? That latency will essentially be a net wash versus native lanes at a lesser speed. So yippee you have more lanes but to what end? It literally yields you nothing except to be able to say the statement, "I have 64 lanes". That is literally all there is to it. No performance gains, and perhaps it is less due to the latency (look).

Link - http://www.plxtech.com/files/pdf/technical/expresslane/Overcoming_PCIe_Latency_PLX.pdf
Link2 - http://www.anandtech.com/show/6170/...x-8747-featuring-gigabyte-asrock-ecs-and-evga

So while you are thinking you are getting the max from your hardware by using a PLX, it is actually no different or worse due to the latency it adds. Clearly its still up to you as to what you want and what you will get. Our job is to educate and inform, its yours to pull the trigger. Just don't get caught up in buying things for the wrong reasons. :)

I do understand that there will be latency, but what can i do, when for the first time ever, a motherboard has hit the market looking so great, and boasting so many features?

The RVE is damn ugly, and you know, this wont be the first time, i go color over function. We had this same thing about 11months ago, when i was going Z87. I managed to keep it in my pants for Z97 (the my wallet that is).

Where is there a fully black NON MSI motherboard? Its not there. The deluxe is just plain ugly, the RVE still has the stupid red, if they made a black edition like they did for X79, then sure, you would have a much better time talking me into it, but this time, its actually the stupid all black design thats 70% of the sealed deal. Then theres 20% on the 64 lane, and the last 10% is locked up in a corner by the last 90% for being sensible.

And this has turned into Motherboard... I dont know if you want to move/merge or what ever, but we have de-railed captain.

For the sake of it, is it possible to put a % difference between.

16x/8x/8x on CPU vs 16x/16x/16x on PLX?

If we consider that this triple 7970 setup wont last forever, i do plan on moving to bigger and better things, then what? Future prof, lets just say 3x GTX980 for that matter.

Still not looking at more than a 3% difference from PCIe 3.0 x8 to PCIe 3.0 x16

But we dont know how bad that latency will be on this board. It should be the latest PLX chips, and im sure they are working hard to reduce latency.

I can only assume this, but looking PLX website, that this is the chip: PEX 8764.

Reading the product info on that, its 16x/16x, with a maximum of 150ns of latency.

Why pay $530 for a motherboard and $390 for a CPU ($920 total) when a $250 motherboard and $590 CPU ($840 total) will do the same job?
Then you have a better binned chip.
Well, I'd rather do what I did, pay $299 for the CPU and $219 for the motherboard ($518 total)! :thup:

I can only assume this, but looking PLX website, that this is the chip: PEX 8764.

Reading the product info on that, its 16x/16x, with a maximum of 150ns of latency.

Further more, looking at the Gen2 64lane PLX chips, its max of 176ns.

But i need to find a PLX to compare it to, and even at that rate, I still need a % loss idea, and to know that im looking at the right data.

That said, 150ns is insane low.

I think, i'll deal with the latency, and be happy with the look of the board. I know its butt load to kick into a motherboard for the looks, but if Apple users can do it, so can I.

What does the future of PLX have to do with your current purchase? I would imagine you are correct that like the previous generation of PLX and NF200 latencies will reduce. But you are buying the current gen so the future doesn't matter much in this case.

Another jet black mobo $230 ;) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130796&cm_re=MSI_X99-_-13-130-796-_-Product

As far as % loss of PLX vs native 8x, they are the same really (which is why we are having this conversation - trying to inform you of this piece, again).

What does the future of PLX have to do with your current purchase? I would imagine you are correct that like the previous generation of PLX and NF200 latencies will reduce. But you are buying the current gen so the future doesn't matter much in this case.

Another jet black mobo $230 ;) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130796&cm_re=MSI_X99-_-13-130-796-_-Product

As far as % loss of PLX vs native 8x, they are the same really (which is why we are having this conversation - trying to inform you of this piece, again).

Im not talking the future of PLX chips, im talking right now.

And i said NON MSI, i hate MSI boards, the Z77 Mpower took care of that.

Its sad that, one experience on a board 2 generations old prevents you from saving $250...

That is indeed sad. That one bad impression can leave such a scar, but the bios was the worst i have ever used. It was unstable, horrible to use, but yes, I do like the design, trust me, i do.

The BIOS has come a long way and is one of my favorites for both looks, ergonomics, and overall functionality. Stable as hell on the Gaming X99S 9 AC. Woomack has the SLI so, if you may be interested, ping him for his thoughts on the board and bios. :)

Anyway, just put your eggs in the right basket. IMHO the PLX vs native shouldn't be an issue with due to the latency it introduces. Last I read about it, the latency modern PLX chips introduce is around the area of the difference between PCIe3 16x and 8x (1-2%) so it is essentially a net wash...unless you go buck nutty and want quadfire. And if you go quadfire you have the issue of things not scaling remotely well from 3 to 4 cards anyway making it a huge waste of cash.

Last edited:
Im not talking the future of PLX chips, im talking right now.

And i said NON MSI, i hate MSI boards, the Z77 Mpower took care of that.

Can I ask what happened, I had a team mate that was destroying on that board 6GHz +

he spoke highly of it other than it not being the best for memory overclocking,

But you have stated you don't mess with bclk frequency and memory overclocking ?

Have to say I love my x79-GD65 8D other than the same issue with the memory

Will say it is a tank, have ran my 3930K 4.7 24/7 for over a year and a half,

Not trying to talk you in to anything, you have to remember myself, ATM and ED are simply trying to help you with providing some insight from our perspectives.

You may love that WS board and nothing is wrong with that.

the UD5 may be worth a peak, a few tasteful orange highlights

You should see my board, if you set it out side you can see it from orbit ........ lol

Back