• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Intel i7 5775C Broadwell CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So you would pay $450 instead of $370 just for better gaming performance for the office? I see. You would also double power consumption with that setup.

65W is still a ton for a tablet...isn't it?

$450? 4790s is $250, 750ti is $140. I suppose the 750ti is overkill, but it was just an example. You could easily do a 4790s with onboard or some generic 1GB dual-HDMI card and be under the price of the Broadwell.

Where is it $250? I dont see it for less than $299...unless you are talking Microcenter and a large company is going to walk in and buy dozens upon dozens and walk out? Or more than two (I believe you can only buy one processor - at least as a consumer).

Regardless, I see your point, I just can't get the numbers to match. :p

Yes, I was implying MicroCenter's local pickup price.

Make every employee purchase their own, to be reimbursed by the company. :p I don't know...

Nice review of broadwell!

skylake has already been leaked compared to 4790k, like here. skylake 6770k averages 7% faster than 4790k despite turboing to 4.2 vs 4.4 for 4790k. Clock for clock it is more like 10% faster overall.

Skylake supposed to launch the K variant as well sometime after August IDF (if you can believe the rumors), if that is true, looks like intel blew off broadwell in favor of skylake, like consumers will.

If skylake K arrives after IDF in august, that will be my next upgrade.

skylake has already been leaked compared to 4790k, like here. skylake 6770k averages 7% faster than 4790k despite turboing to 4.2 vs 4.4 for 4790k. Clock for clock it is more like 10% faster overall.

Guess I'll be saving my pennies for Skylake-E hexcore, and x109 mobo.

Why can't Intel make broadwells without the iGPU? Maybe they could put something else in the place of the iGPU? Maybe a larger L3 cache? Or more eDRAM?

Why can't Intel make broadwells without the iGPU? Maybe they could put something else in the place of the iGPU? Maybe a larger L3 cache? Or more eDRAM?

As far as I understand Broadwell and haswell were heavily pushed for mobile improvements, and not desktop/server.
The mainfocus of broadwell is mobile efficiency improvements, and part of that is better graphics without discrete GPUs.
Iris graphics is for this development.

because most pc users do not need a discrete gpu. I call it good business.

They will, it will be called Broadwell-E.
There's an "Enthusiast" line of CPU's made for a reason.

But didn't you say that it was priced too high to be aimed at that market?
Nope.... at least not in this thread?

While $370 is pretty costly, it gives one the best performance and a very solid GPU for very light gaming. There are also lesser SKUs that have the Iris Pro/6200 GPU inside that are cheaper. Some need/want the performance of all the threads but just don't game hard or want all the eye candy for their light gaming. If they want more than that, you will need to pay for a discrete GPU.

EDIT: I think it is too pricey for the ENTHUSIAST crowd though when comparing it to existing CPUs. It makes nearly ZERO sense for one of us to buy it considering the 4790K/4770K. The only compelling reasons, as was already outlined in this thread by others, is for lower power consumption, and the MUCH better GPU.

Last edited:
Nope.... at least not in this thread?

While $370 is pretty costly, it gives one the best performance and a very solid GPU for very light gaming. There are also lesser SKUs that have the Iris Pro/6200 GPU inside that are cheaper. Some need/want the performance of all the threads but just don't game hard or want all the eye candy for their light gaming. If they want more than that, you will need to pay for a discrete GPU.

EDIT: I think it is too pricey for the ENTHUSIAST crowd though when comparing it to existing CPUs. It makes nearly ZERO sense for one of us to buy it considering the 4790K/4770K. The only compelling reasons, as was already outlined in this thread by others, is for lower power consumption, and the MUCH better GPU.

So this CPU isn't really being marketed for the IT world? Because $370 for a CPU sounds
way too expensive for office work, even w/an integrated GPU.

Not sure what you mean by "IT World". That, to me, means a business and not consumers.

If you look at the review, you will see there are several SKUs that have 4c/4t and the iris pro graphics on it for a lot less ($100 less). As I said, some people in an office need a lot of cores and threads for their work so they have to go higher end. It is simply an improvement over Haswell in the power consumption and iGPU.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by "IT World". That, to me, means a business and not consumers.

If you look at the review, you will see there are several SKUs that have 4c/4t and the iris pro graphics on it for a lot less ($100 less). As I said, some people in an office need a lot of cores and threads for their work so they have to go higher end. It is simply an improvement over Haswell in the power consumption and iGPU.

Who cares about 3D graphics processing power in the business/IT world?

Are AMD CPU's competitive in the business/IT world? Is that their niche market now? AMD wasn't even a consideration for the modern HPC clusters I've worked on.

Also a good point. BUt there are some applications in the "IT World" that could use a lot more oomph than the previous iGPU had, but not quite the level of needing a discrete GPU. not to mention, keeping up with "The Jones" (AMD). ;)

Guess I'll be saving my pennies for Skylake-E hexcore, and x109 mobo.

yeah, if the leaked intel slide here is correct, then I will get skylake K later this year, and then switch to enthusiast skylake E in mid 2016, assuming that rumored date holds. Got to wonder if there will even be a Broadwell-E.

Back