• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Intel Core i7-8086K 40th Anniversary CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

To mark the anniversary of the first CPU based on the X86 architecture, Intel has released a limited edition Core i7-8086k CPU. Although the new 8086K looks nothing at all like it's namesake the Intel 8086 or iAPX 86 as it was also known it's a milestone none the less marking 40 years of X86 based architecture. The 8086 CPU paved the way for modern computing and it's easy to see why Intel would commemorate such an occasion with a special edition CPU.

Click here to view the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
What real world programs use AVX instructions, other than benching programs? Certainly no games do? What about things like 3dsmax and Premiere Pro? Cool review btw

Just a matter of time until the i7-80486k, I can hardly wait =P

I think that almost all programs use AVX now, directly or indirectly via library functions.

Really low % of applications use AVX. We are comparing it in benchmarks but most popular applications won't really use it.
Easy test, set negative offset for AVX in BIOS and run various applications with something for frequency monitoring in another window.

Nice review Shawn :)

Results as expected but I still find it as a good option if you don't really want to risk getting a bad overclocking chip. For me it was more like a "I want" option but also "maybe I will be able to OC higher at low voltage" as I'm using it in a really small ITX box. So far works great :)

From my testing Programs like Blender, games and Chrome browser also windows 10 use AVX.
What games are you seeing use it?

EDIT: Blender does, POV-Ray does, I've seen Chrome do it for w/e reason... but so far none of the games I play (PUBG, Fortnite, BF4, BF1) drop the clocks.

Last edited:
I had some problems in the past finding non-AVX applications to test a CPU OC... it may be that applications may only use AVX for part of their functionality, so it isn't all or nothing. Also remember AVX is a whole family of instructions, not all of them stress to the same degree.

Prime95 is highly optimised to maximise throughput where possible, and as a side result of that, it can cause a lot of heat. Still waiting for them to get AVX-512 functionality working, but they're struggling to get any improvement over AVX2 (FMA3) due to our old friend ram bandwidth.

it may be that applications may only use AVX for part of their functionality, so it isn't all or nothing. Also remember AVX is a whole family of instructions, not all of them stress to the same degree.

What games are you seeing use it?

EDIT: Blender does, POV-Ray does, I've seen Chrome do it for w/e reason... but so far none of the games I play (PUBG, Fortnite, BF4, BF1) drop the clocks.
When I did some testing now also with my old i5 7600k at 4.6GHz and the AVX offset -600MHz BF1, BF4, STAR WARS Battlefront, the clock speed would periodically drop to 4.0GHz

Here is the same screenshot of 4.6GHz doping down to 4.0GHz I showed before when you asked the same question.:)
BF1 AVX..jpg

Back