• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Motherboard CPU compatibility

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

milk99m

I have an Intel i5 10400f CPU and an Asus Prime B460M-A motherboard.
I want to use this system for gaming, with a GTX1050Ti, 16GB of ram and a 650W power supply.

Will the CPU work correctly with the mentioned motherboard, in terms of power consumption ?
Can the VRM's at the top side of the CPU to get very hot because they don't have a heatsink ?

It should be fine, definitely an entry level board but that’s a entry/mid range cpu.

I can see a small heat sink on the VRMs so there is cooling there. But also you cannot Overclock that cpu anyway so I cannot imagine a stock 10400 drawing more power than the board provides or more than it can cope with. As long as you don’t plan on sticking a 10900k in there in a few years you should be fine.

Thank you for the reply.
Can you also let me know what is the purpose of the 2 phases located at the top side of the cpu socket and why those phases doesn't have a heatsink ?

Usually these 2 phases are for the IGP.

When I was testing i5-10500 then it had ~95W max under load so I assume that the 10400F will be about the same. This is pretty low and I wouldn't worry about the power design.
VRM in general can work up to 120°C+. Of course this isn't recommended but anything below 100°C is usually fine.

I started using my cpu (i5 10400f) and motherboard (Asus Prime B460M-A) and I found in the settings the "cpu load line calibration" setting (llc). I watched on youtube a video about the llc, but I can't figure what option should I set for the llc on my motherboard. I have the following options: Auto, and 1 to 7. Which one should I choose ?

I started using my cpu (i5 10400f) and motherboard (Asus Prime B460M-A) and I found in the settings the "cpu load line calibration" setting (llc). I watched on youtube a video about the llc, but I can't figure what option should I set for the llc on my motherboard. I have the following options: Auto, and 1 to 7. Which one should I choose ?

It’s mainly for overclocking. I would just leave it alone. There shouldn’t be much reason for you to change any cpu settings as you have a locked cpu.

You aren't overclocking (can't really) so yes, Auto is ideal in this case. There is no reason for you to touch anything outside of memory with B460 and a locked CPU.

Back