• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Power consumption.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flip-Mode

I'm writing a little piece on the importance of a good PSU for an Israeli HW site and I need some help with some facts about power consumption.
I know K7's used the draw their power from the 5V line and the memory was powered by the 3.3V line. I hope I'm correct up to here.
I know K8's are powered by the 12V line, on K8 platform where does it draw the power for the mem? I assume its from the 3.3V line and in the case of the DFI nF4 from the 5V line.

What about Intels? I have no idea on anything about them.

Flip-Mode said:
I'm writing a little piece on the importance of a good PSU for an Israeli HW site and I need some help with some facts about power consumption.
I know K7's used the draw their power from the 5V line and the memory was powered by the 3.3V line. I hope I'm correct up to here.
While that was originally true, many later K7 boards (including my Abit KD7) actually powered the CPU off of the 12v line.

This is pure speculation, but the DFI board I have has a jumper that you move when using memory voltages above 3.2 or 3.3 volts. Perhaps this switches between using 3.3v and 5v. Something that supports memory voltages above 3.2 or 3.3v probably uses the 5v line. It really is up to the board manufacturer. You could try emailing them.

Gnufsh said:
While that was originally true, many later K7 boards (including my Abit KD7) actually powered the CPU off of the 12v line.

This is pure speculation, but the DFI board I have has a jumper that you move when using memory voltages above 3.2 or 3.3 volts. Perhaps this switches between using 3.3v and 5v. Something that supports memory voltages above 3.2 or 3.3v probably uses the 5v line. It really is up to the board manufacturer. You could try emailing them.

You are correct, the DFI can use the 5V to get above 3.2V. Thanks for the info.

Back