• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Power limit removal and VCore Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ImTheDrunkTiger

Hi,

I am very new to intel, ive been messing around overclocking my old FX 8350 so I have a basic knowledge of using BIOS's ect. Ive just bought a 10700k and an MSI gaming edge wifi motherboard. I've been looking at loads of info online and its just making me more confused so I was hoping someone could help me clarify a couple of things. I'm not looking to overclock yet as the cpu was quite expensive so I want the warranty to run out first.

I want to make sure that my turbos stay on for as long as possible. I have an EK 360 aio and a 850W PSU (waiting for a 3080ti to make full use of that). I hear that if you remove the power limits by turning them all the way up, then you will get 5.1Ghz single core and 4.9Ghz all core. Is that correct and will they last indefinitely as long as temps stay under a certain value? What temps should I be looking to achieve?

Secondly I hear that the motherboards pump loads of Vcore voltage when set to auto. Is this true and is there a way to fix this? What voltages are usually good for the life of the CPU?

Sorry for being a noob but I feel this might be the best place to ask!

Cheers :D

That's not really what I said. The motherboard might already be removing the Intel spec power limits. Changes to the power settings may not be necessary. I would test it at stock first and go from there.

On the Intel side, most motherboards are pretty good with AUTO overclocking. Yes, they might be a bit generous with VCore, but the chances of an AUTO setting killing your CPU are slim. Fairly n00b proof. Welcome to the forums! :D

10700k Single Core Turbo Problems

Hi everyone,

Forgive my lack of knowledge I am very new to intel. I bought a 10700k on the premise that single core clocks can hit 5.1Ghz for a limited period within power and temp limits. However I've used hwinfo and hw monitor and not one has logged any cores go past 4.8GHz. I also haven't seen my power anywhere near the theoretical limits. On single core I use about 40W and on all core turbo I use 150W. I read that the limits where much higher? No core goes past 50C on single core loads.

My vcore reaches 1.31V when doing single core test. 1.275v for all core workload.

The only benchmark I have tried has been cinebench r20 using single core to try and see if I can get it to boost.

I have:

- MSI z490 gaming edge wifi (latest BIOS update)
- 360mm aio cooler
- 850w corsair psu
- 32gb 3000mhz ram

BIOS settings that I have tried:

I have turned on/off the MCE or the MSI enchanced core. Ive also tried manually setting the short and long limits to their maximum. Intel turbo enhancement is turned on.

XMP is turned on if thats at all relevant

Could somebody tell me if I'm being stupid here or is my software miss reporting it? I know that 4.7 is the all core limit but I was hoping to see it at least boost to 5.1 on the single core test on cinebench.

I recommend to clear CMOS and check at all auto settings. I have the same on Z490I Unify. When you play too much with additional settings then for some reason max boost doesn't work.

Sorry I thought the boost problem counted as a separate issue.

I tried what you suggested, it defaults to having the msi enhanced turbo on, which I presume means the power limits are removed by default. Unfortunately I got the same thing where it turbos to 4.8 and hops around all the cores one at a time. The only other thing is I am currently using the igpu as my graphics card is still on the way. I posted my vcore just in case that indicated anything.

I recommend to clear CMOS and check at all auto settings. I have the same on Z490I Unify. When you play too much with additional settings then for some reason max boost doesn't work.

OMG what a garbage MSI mobos are!

Made a topic about this issue too just this morning https://www.overclockers.com/forums...-Z490-Tomahawk-10600k-wont-hit-4-8-at-default

Now i read this half an hour ago and said screw it, lets see, clear CMOS, everything on default untouched... BOOST WORKS, theres 4.8 on 2 cores regularly now, wasnt before... mimicked the settings that i had before, when it wasnt working, but now after CMOS clear and setting the settings i already had before... IT WORKS, go figure.

MSI motherboard, never again! Not to mention that heatsink thermal pads on the M.2 slots are oozing oil after 3-4 weeks of use... never again MSI, never ever!

Just to follow up on my original post I thought I would update for anyone else with similar issues. So I decided to have a go at overclocking my CPU. I managed mostly stable 5.0GHz all core at 1.31V unfortunately it couldn't survive more than an hour on prime 95 and I would be touching 90 for temps with a 360mm ek aio. I understand that this is an extreme load on the CPU but I need it to be reliable as I will be using it for work and I cant have it crash. Unfortunately I don't think I have the best Silicon. Maybe its my thermal paste or something I'm not sure, I might come back and overclock again in the future.

So after returning the BIOS to defaults, removing enhanced turbo and manually setting the power limits again I have miraculously got my boosts back! Very strange as I have tried multiple CMOS clears. Interestingly I almost never see it boost to 5.1 but I have seen it for a brief second. I assume that basically there are very few moments when only one core is working and therefore you are most likely to end up on all core 4.7 or 4 core 4.8.

In the grand scheme of things I only lost about 150 points on cinebench r20. I get about 4900 at stock and I was getting 5050 at 5.0Ghz all core. So I'm fairly happy leaving it at stock. (not sure how much of a difference 150 points are to real world performance?)

Connta I read your thread and I have the same thing that I wont single core boost when running Cinebench r20. My theory is that there must be enough work being handed to other cores to cause the turbo to drop as my max during a single core render is 4.8 GHz. Overall I feel that the CPU is probably functioning correctly now the settings on the motherboard are correct.

Cheers for the advice everyone, even though it only worked after several CMOS clears!

Yeah, I only see 4.8 boost briefly on my 10600k too, you wont get 5.1 holding as it seems but it will happen a bit. Thats the design i guess, I came from 2500k 4.6 all core clock that did so for 10 years straight 24/7 rock stable and I must say these new boost mechanics are BS. :D

Pair that up with these crappy MSI boards that scramble when "too many settings are changed" (i mean, rly MSI, RLY?) and this is basically a disaster... there seems to be very little point of buying a K processor these days...

Last edited:
Back