• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Q6600 and Asus Maximus II OC Noob

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noope

So I just got this pc from my brother as a xmas gift.
Specification is the following:
Q6600 with zalman cooler
Asus maximus II motherboard
be quiet 730W power suply
2*2gb ocz reaper hpc and 2*1GB Geil ram The OCZ is 1066mhz the Geil is 800Mhz ram togheter they run in 800mhz
GTX 570 Phantom GPU
1TB HDD

I'd like to OC the CPU to 3.0 Ghz I read in the articles that is safe.
But I'm totaly noob. Can you help me to do this? 3.0 ghz is safe to oc?
My main problem is as I read overclock efect on memory too and this is the hard part. I have no clue how to set up to a safe and right settings.
I hope i give you all the informations what needed and waiting for your reaplay.

:welcome:

Is that the Maximus II Formula?
If your brother didn't give you the manual, download a copy of it. Being able to refer to the manual's BIOS section is handy when you are first learning to overclock a new board.

Nice! :)

Did you adjust the DRAM Frequency or did it reset itself back to 400 MHz?

Now you want to run a stress test like Prime95 and monitor the temperatures. The core temps need to stay under 80C at full load.

That seems like way too much CPU voltage for 3GHz on a Q6600, to me.

You shouldn't need anywhere near 1.4v with a Q6600 G0 stepping CPU (SLACR).

Mine only needs 1.26v under load to remain stable.

Q6600 settings.jpg

Now, your results may (and probably will) vary from my own and from other people's, but you shouldn't (in my opinion) need more than 1.3-1.35v to the CPU (otherwise known as vCore) to remain stable at that overclock. If you do, then something is probably wrong somewhere in your settings, or you would have to have an outrageously poor-quality CPU to need that much voltage.

Last edited:
Try to reconfig. And post pic later. Thank you for your advice.

Back