• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about OC Intel i5 8600K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EladFlopsi

Registered
Hello everyone!

I am new to OC and this forum, so please be easy on me!
I know some questions will be repetitive, so i am apologizing in advance :p

I am rocking this CPU with Asus Maximus X Formula, and Ripjaws V 16GB and CPU Cooler of Thermaltake water 3.0 ARGB.

1. Should I try automatically to push to 5GHZ without testing if I have a good enough chip?
2. Which voltage should I test first, second etc?
3. When I tested the OC first (just to know that it works) I had an issue (or this is how it rolls) that the CPU runs always on the GHZ that it was assigned, its not like it has idle working GHZ and then it boosts like the CPU does regularly. Is there any way to set it up that only when I game (or the CPU needs it) it will boost to the configuration given?
4. When I tested I had this thing that it was working on the GHZ that I setted (4.8) and when I stress tested it dropped t 2GHZ, the CPU temp was a lot, because my cooler is **** probably because it was old (not the TT, it is coming in the next few days). The temps could cause this drop or is there any things else I should pay attention to?

If you have any screenshots of an Asus motherboard (I looked online, not so many things that I could really use) for educational purpose I would be very grateful!

Thank you a lot!

Hello everyone!

I am new to OC and this forum, so please be easy on me!
I know some questions will be repetitive, so i am apologizing in advance :p

I am rocking this CPU with Asus Maximus X Formula, and Ripjaws V 16GB and CPU Cooler of Thermaltake water 3.0 ARGB.

1. Should I try automatically to push to 5GHZ without testing if I have a good enough chip? No. You should always stress test an overclocked CPU to confirm stability. Prime95, OCCT, Realbench and AIDA64 Extreme are the most common tools used by this community to stress test. IMO, the stress test should last at least 2 hrs. AIDA64 Extreme should be run for at least 5 hr. If failure happens during these tests you are no stable in your overclock. I
2. Which voltage should I test first, second etc? Manually assign a starting core voltage of 1.25. That is safe and should allow you to begin overclocking without generating excessive temps. I would also set the core Load Line Calibration to the next to the highest setting.
3. When I tested the OC first (just to know that it works) I had an issue (or this is how it rolls) that the CPU runs always on the GHZ that it was assigned, its not like it has idle working GHZ and then it boosts like the CPU does regularly. Is there any way to set it up that only when I game (or the CPU needs it) it will boost to the configuration given? Set the core frequency multiplier to apply to all cores.
4. When I tested I had this thing that it was working on the GHZ that I setted (4.8) and when I stress tested it dropped t 2GHZ, the CPU temp was a lot, because my cooler is **** probably because it was old (not the TT, it is coming in the next few days). The temps could cause this drop or is there any things else I should pay attention to? This most likely happened because of thermal throttling.

If you have any screenshots of an Asus motherboard (I looked online, not so many things that I could really use) for educational purpose I would be very grateful!

Thank you a lot!

You need to monitor temps while stress testing. When the CPU package/core temp reaches 100c the CPU will down throttle to protect itself. Use HWMonitor or Realtemp to monitor core temps as you stress test with the goal of not allowing the temps to exceed 95c when stress testing. Keep Realtemp open while stress testing. Capture and image of the Realtemp Window and attach it to your post using t he Go Advanced button in the lower right corner of any new post screen. Windows 10 has a great image capture tool called Snip & Sketch which works well for framing and capturing desktop images.

We do not recommend using the auto overclocking wizards found in a lot of bioses. They tend to assign excessive voltages that drive up temps.

Don't start with what you want the overclock to be. Your chip very well may not be capable of 5 ghz. Not all 8600k CPU will overclock to the same amount because of variations in silicon quality and manufacturing processes.

The best strategy is to begin the overclock process by initially assigning a modest, safe core voltage and a modest, easy to attain core frequency multiplier amount. Test that for stability and temps. If stable and if temps are under control then increase the core frequency multiplier by 1x and retest for stability. When you start to fail the stress test, increase the core voltage by .01 and retest. 20 minute long Prime95 stress tests are adequate to tentatively establish stability and condense the time spent on the process. When you have reached "the wall" where you can't get any more overclock out of it on safe voltages and temps, then use a longer stress test, say two hours to confirm stability. If you can't pass the long test you need to lower the overclock by 1x and retest for two hours.

The goal of overclocking is to produce the highest overclock the chip is capable of with the least amount of voltage necessary to maintain stability while keeping temps in the safe, non throttle down range.

You should also know that the 8th generation Intel CPUs were famous for running hot because of the crappy thermal grease they put under the lid of the processor. Safe 24/7 voltage is probably about 1.37 for that CPU but I doubt your cooling will permit that much from what you have already shared.

If I were you, I'd use the Realbench stress test just to keep that part simple. It works both the CPU and the GPU in a vigorous way and simulates real life computing. It also has a built in CPU temp readout. Use the stress test (not the benchmark) and configure it to run for 30 minutes using half the available amount of RAM on your system. When you think you have dialed in your overclock, extend the stress test to 2 hours to confirm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!

First off thank you for the explanation! that was SUPER helpful!
Idk how I "like" a comment to boost you up, Soz for that.
I just wanted to add and ask where to start? I know I boosted to 4.8 on my first go and except heat (I didn't know voltages then) I think it would be pretty solid start.
What do you suggest? Maybe should I go first try on 4.8 and 1.3V? is setting 1.35V base and stresstesting is too high for daily use?
The less voltage means less heat, so Maybe I should start at 1.25?
I dont tend to power off that frequently.

and when you said "Set the core frequency multiplier to apply to all cores." , doesn't it mean when I change to 47 (IE) that changes every core to 47? where is the boost thing is coming from?

Thanks again.

Hi!

First off thank you for the explanation! that was SUPER helpful!
Idk how I "like" a comment to boost you up, Soz for that.
I just wanted to add and ask where to start? I know I boosted to 4.8 on my first go and except heat (I didn't know voltages then) I think it would be pretty solid start.
What do you suggest? Maybe should I go first try on 4.8 and 1.3V? is setting 1.35V base and stresstesting is too high for daily use?
The less voltage means less heat, so Maybe I should start at 1.25?
I dont tend to power off that frequently.

and when you said "Set the core frequency multiplier to apply to all cores." , doesn't it mean when I change to 47 (IE) that changes every core to 47? Yes. It would be a fixed speed that all cores would run simultaneously. I believe that once the fixed speed multiplier reaches or exceeds the stock turbo speed then there will be no turbo boost. Turbo does not boost all the cores at the same time. Just a couple of them. Your best performance will be with all cores running at a the highest possible frequency on safe volts and temps. Start with the multiplier at say 40x and the voltage at 1.25. Test stability (30 minutes) and monitor temps. Work up from there in increments of 1X and .01 volts. Only add volts when you are no longer stable after increasing the multiplier increment. where is the boost thing is coming from?

Thanks again.

With adequate cooling and a reasonably good motherboard I believe most 8600k CPUs will top out around 4.6-4.8 ghz and be stable. A certain percentage of them will go a little higher.

Last edited:
In the recent days I am supposed to receive my new cooling, I will update you with the findings and if anything goes bad or something :)

HELLO ALL!

Finally I received my cooling! Using the pre-applied Thermal paste that I got on the AIO.
The reason is because I didn't get my noctua NT-H2 in time and I wanted it to be over already.
Will probably switch it once I'll buy a new CPU next year.

I did not test the benchmark for a lot of time. This I will do later.
But I played COD MW on 100% CPU for quite some time + stress test with CPU-Z and it looked stable.
I am running 4.8GHZ and 1.3V and do not pass the 74C. Which in my opinion is quite OK +.
What do you guys think? for daily use is it OK? should I try lowering the voltage to 1.28~? 1.25~?

Let me know what you guys think!
PS- I will bench it for two more hours this weekend, this is only for gaming and a bit of video editing so I hope its enough tests for this purpose.

Sounds like you are now in a good spot. You did not say what voltage your are currently using but you should try lowering it by .01 volt increments until the system is not stable anymore. Then add back .01 volts.

Back