• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel(R) Core(TM)2DUO E6850/High Idle Temps with Antec Freezer Revision 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

computergeek

Do I need to re apply my arctic silver ceramique again?
I am getting idle temps of 38 which seems way too high when, I have a Antec Freezer 7 pro revision 2. It is pretty hot here in the UK at the moment but still not that warm.
I have the back fan on medium and the cooler on normal for fan speed.
I also have a fan at the side pulling in air and pulling in air from a fan at the front and the fan on the cooler is pulling air from the front and pushing it out of the back fan which is sucking the air out and air flow feels good.
It has been just over a year since the new cooler and ceramique was installed. The cpu is on stock clockings as well.
Spec's:
PSU-Antec 380 watt,
Motherboard-MSI P35 NEO2,
2x1GBDDR2 PC2-6400(400Mhz),
2X2GB DDR2 Ballistixs(With status leds)
Freezer 7 pro rev 2,
Intel(R) Core(TM)2DUO E6850,
Nvidia 8800 GTS,
Hardrive(sata)-Samsung HD501LH 500GB,
PC Case-Antec
Edit
Idle temps just jumped to 41-45 according to core temp and 49-50 according to real temp.:(
Edit
Idle temps of 38-40 according core temp and 44 according to real temp.
In a word wtf!:(

Last edited:
Idle temps mean little. What are your peak load temps? Run Prime95 for 10 minutes and take note of the temperatures.

After two minutes running a blend test on prime 95 load temps were 54-55 according to core temp and 59-50 according to real temp.
After five minutes load temps were 55-57 according to core temp and 60-61 according to real temp.
After 7 minutes the load temps were 57-60 according to core temp and 62-65 according to real temp.
After 10 minutes the load temps were 55-57 according to core temp and 61-62 according to real temp.
It took about 4 minutes to cool back down to idle temps of 39.
Please also note when I first installed my latest cooler and the Arctic silver ceramique a little over a year ago the cpu idled at 21 to 22 degrees.:)
Edit
After 12 minutes after the blend test the idle temps cooled back down to 38 degrees according to core temp.

Last edited:
Re applying the thermal paste has made a small change so far according to core temp idling between 35-37 and bios reported a cpu temp starting from a first boot 28 raised to 31 and stopped there.
I will do a stress test then let it cool down for a few hours.
If I screwed it up I will have to buy some more there are about 8 pounds a tube here in the uk.
Edit
After five minute burning in the new thermal paste using a blend test on prime 95 the load temps were 53-54 according to core temp.
And it only took three minutes to drop to 37 degrees according to core temp.
I'll report back how it is after 20 hours from now.:)
Question after a year or two will the cpu heat up a tad quicker regardless of the thermal paste used?
Edit
Speedfan reads core 0 as 32 degrees and core 1 as 30-32 degrees argh oh the joy of deciding which thermal and cooling management program to trust.:(

Last edited:
Run Prime95 in the "large FFTs" mode. This will have maximum heat and power consumption. Tell me what the temperatures are after 10 minutes of running that.

The Freezer 7 Pro is a pretty low end cooler - I had a Freezer 64 Pro which was basically the AMD version of what you have. Don't expect it to cool as well as a high end air cooler.

What is your room temperature? This can have a huge effect on the CPU temperature. The thermal paste you have used is pretty good so it shouldn't become less effective after a year or 2. Thermal paste takes at least 100 hours to "wear in" fully, so it becomes slightly more effective with time.

I recommend you stick with HWMonitor to monitor your temperatures. This app will show you your current and peak temperatures.

My room temperature not sure but based on my PC temps as the cpu dropped to 32 degrees when I opened the case, I say its between 20-25 degrees at the moment even with the bedroom window open and I will get back to you once I have done the test.:)

After two minutes core temp reported load temps of 53-55 and in HWMonitor reported 58-59 degrees.
After five minutes core temp reported load temps of 54-56 and in HWMonitor reported 59-60 degrees.
After seven minutes core temp reported load temps of 55-56 and in HWMonitor reported 59-60/61 degrees.
After ten minutes core temp reported load temps of 55-56 and in HWMonitor reported 60-61 degrees.
After three minutes after large FFT's mode test with prime 95 core temp reported idle temps of 35 degrees and in HWMonitor reported 40-42 degrees.
After five minutes after large FFT's mode test with prime 95 core temp reported idle temps of 35 degrees and in HWMonitor reported 40 degrees.

Those temperatures are fine, and they're about what I would expect. Start overclocking! Try to keep your temperatures below 80°C.

Yep will do as always 80 degrees means is too damn hot especially if that's for idle lol.:D

Back