• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Skylake CPUs bent and broken by some third-party coolers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sorry but my english is not that great, wondering if skylake and ultra 120 extreme comes with universal mountig can create the problem of cpu failure

If you really crank down on the screws and they have no stops, yes it can.

It's not really about being cheap. The majority of the cost is in the upfront R&D of the maturing the manufacturing technology. Some cost is saved with less material of course. Thinner PCB => thinner dielectric layers => thinner traces

Hashwell = 22nm tech, Skylake = 14nm tech.

Sorry but my English is not that great, wondering if skylake and ultra 120 extreme comes with universal mounting can create the problem of cpu failure

Yes indeed since there is no stops on the heatsink.
I know with these stories coming out I'll re-look at mine a we bit more. The 4 bolts that hold the bracket to the motherboard aren't the issue. Even the 2 screws that hold the heatsink to the square bracket isn't the problem. At least for us in this case its the center finger adjustable mount that could cause the issue that presses the heatsink down firmer on the board.

Back