• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel socket 1156 and 1151 the same?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sadistik

Registered
alright guys, I recently started piecing together a budget system after years away. (check sig for specs) I was going though some stuff from my last build which was a 1366 system. Anyway, I found my old Prolimatech Megahalems cpu cooler. I checked on Prolimatech's website and they sale a mount kit for 1156.

Prolimatech website:
http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=171&page=1

What I'm buying:
https://www.frozencpu.com/products/...halem_Retention_Mount_Adapter_Kit_IAK-01.html

I believe they are the same, just want to make sure! before pulling the trigger.

I have used my Megahalems interchangeably on 1156 and 1151 sockets without incident. I never stopped to think the sockets might be different physically; I always knew they differed electrically.

They are not different as far as the mounting holes and other specifications relevant for mounting heatsinks.

i could be wrong but i got the impression he was wanting to make sure the mounting kit was the same from the manufactures website to the one listed on frozencpu.

i could be wrong but i got the impression he was wanting to make sure the mounting kit was the same from the manufactures website to the one listed on frozencpu.

I think Prolimatech did not make the Megahalems for socket 775, which preceded the LGA 1156. Prolimatech maintains a website. One could ask them whether an old Megahalems will fit on a new LGA 1151 socket. I think it will with no adapter needed.

Of course, the best way is to dry-fit the heatsink over the socket. That presumes one has the time, though. I have three different types of Prolimatech heatsinks the Megahalems, the Armageddon and the Genesis. All use the same base mount.

well right from that link it says
The first version of Megahalems was for LGA775 and LGA1366. For those who purchased the early version and would like to switch to LGA1156/1155/1150/1151 system, you can keep your original Megahalems and get this Intel Socket 1156/1155/1150/1151 Adapter Kit.
so thats why i said he wanted to make sure the kit showing at the manufactures site, matches to what is being sold at frozencpu.

The kit I purchased from Frozencpu is for the 1156 intel socket. just want to make sure it's gonna work on the 1151 socket when it get's here Thursday.

Back