• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intelligent cooling system for overclocked PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'd be happy with a higher powered version of speedfan... Basically not all motherboards support it and a lot that do only do so on 1 header. So... I'd be happy with taking the temp readings from the motherboard and Hard drive directly (Even if they're not accurate... with trial and error, you know what temps your system becomes unstable at.) and using that to control the fans through software. As a matter of fact, I'd prefer it to wiring up a bunch of thermistors. It'd need to handle more than 6watts too. I'd say at least 15 watts. Why not make a "Joe six-pack" version AND an "ultra-mega-control-freak" version?

Last edited:
Hmm... Just looked at the last post date. Looks like the project might not be going so well.

well if he needs this project to graduate... he'll have to have accomplished something by now, if he hasn't changed his topic... i'll cross my fingers for an update too ^^... this is certainly an interesting thread...

i've sent him an email requesting an update ^^

hewheheh LOL me too^

But to keep up with the idea, i think its shouldnt be dependent on OS. Build it like an embedded system that plug to motherboard and do it job right from the time you boot the system. Its like an add-on feature of the motherboard. Lots of motherboard makers has been trying to do something like this. But if you can make one even better that would ownz.

yeah i know, but when I saw it pop up after shroomer i immediately remmebered this guy's project.... hopefully he just forgot to keep us updated and has a finished product by now to show off (or at least something he can take a pic of) :)

My opinions:
1. We consider system that doesn't run full load all the time. If so - download F@H or read further.
2. System running full load all the time - manual fan speed adjustments are more than enough.

AD1: Fan controller with simple thermal sensor would be probably ok. Problem appears when you're on edge of stability. Then soft should check CPU load and define fan speed before CPU changes temp dramaticaly. There's no way to have it OS-independant then. PCI vs USB - USB wins. Making drivers for PCI seems to be not too nice and USB interface for programmers seems to be pretty easy (at least in Windows).

Target system would be probably one that you set temperature you want on CPU and it keeps it. It would require OS help or very accurate and fast temp sensor + bunch of electronics. Making system control it would be easier. You could make some software + let it run max speed in case of no or bad system response.

Full load tends to vary from program to program. There are many programs that will make your usage jump to 100%, but there are a few that can make the temps higher than other programs. I use prime95 to test for stability, but Toast gets my CPU the hottest (sometimes by 3c). So... Even at "full load" there can be a disrepancy. You also have ambient temperature to worry about. As the temps start to rise in the summer, you don't need to worry about messing with temps and speeds of fans... It's all done for you.

Yes, there are products that can do this now, but they are not cheap. I think a product like this COULD be made cheaply if it used the motherboard sensors and a modified "Speedfan" sort of program.

Back