• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Interest in Custom Cases?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yanko693

Hello everyone, I'm currently in the process of starting my own custom fabrication and design business, and am looking to concentrate on the niche markets associated with my many hobbies. :D I am currently designing and building some cases for myself, and thought I'd see what kind of interest there may be here in the community for such a thing. I am capable of designing from scratch, or copying an existing case making what ever changes you may want. If you can dream it, I can make it happen. All work will be 100% done in America with American materials, and I aim to keep costs fairly competitive with the mass produced imports.

If this sounds of interest to anyone feel free to ask any questions here, I will be more than happy to elaborate and discuss anything you would like to know. Thank You,

P.S I hope this isn't against any rules, I am not trying to advertise, just trying to see if there is a market, and how big it may be. If there is interest, I will make a thread in the classifieds. :salute:

Hmmm, That would be very interesting! I've been wanting a new case with the room and flexibility to expand. Problem is the ones I've seen are wayyy overpriced and out of my price range.

Depending on the cost plus shipping, I could be a customer :D

*Scribed!*

Shipping will depend on what you want :D Personally I like the idea of a modular kit that could be shipped flat and assembled with an hex wrench by the customer. Ideally I want to make the core components such as the motherboard tray, PSU mount, HDD racks, etc, modular so I can build cases around them. I should mention all parts are cut from sheets by CNC laser so complex shapes are not a problem. If you can provide me a vector based drawing I can easily import it into my CAD software, or I can take a bitmap image or even a hand drawing but obviously that will take me quite a bit more time.

When you say "keep costs fairly competitive with the mass produced imports", what kind of price range you talking about? Like CoolerMaster or high-end Lian-Li? Other question is: You working steel or aluminum? I'm guessing you won't be doing any plastics...?

Good idea, would like to see you succeed!

When you say "keep costs fairly competitive with the mass produced imports", what kind of price range you talking about? Like CoolerMaster or high-end Lian-Li? Other question is: You working steel or aluminum? I'm guessing you won't be doing any plastics...?

Good idea, would like to see you succeed!

For something reasonably sized (think a standard mid to full tower) I'd like to be in the 200-250 range depending on how complicated you want it and finish. I can do steel, aluminum, titanium, copper, anything you want from shim stock up to 3/4" thick. I don't know who would want a 500 pound mini tower made from 3/4" copper, but it IS an option. Lol

Shipping will depend on what you want :D Personally I like the idea of a modular kit that could be shipped flat and assembled with an hex wrench by the customer. Ideally I want to make the core components such as the motherboard tray, PSU mount, HDD racks, etc, modular so I can build cases around them. I should mention all parts are cut from sheets by CNC laser so complex shapes are not a problem. If you can provide me a vector based drawing I can easily import it into my CAD software, or I can take a bitmap image or even a hand drawing but obviously that will take me quite a bit more time.

A modular kit that comes shipped flat and unassembled would be a plus. That would keep shipping costs down drastically.

Would also be a plus to be able to add to the case ( IE extra hdd cages for both 3.5" and 2.5" (SSD's), a waterpump bracket, etc).

I'm going to let others chime in with their ideas and follow this.

what do you expect turn around times to be??? would you be offering fan filtration ??? I like the modular idea as well. Also what finishes and or colors can you accommodate???

what do you expect turn around times to be??? would you be offering fan filtration ??? I like the modular idea as well. Also what finishes and or colors can you accommodate???
I plan to use powder coating as my standard but I can get anything from paint to Titanium Nitride finishes.

I plan to make removable dust filters standard on all fan mounting locations.

Turn around will depend on the finish desired. The cad work will take anywhere from 15 minutes to a day depending on if you want components I've already drawn or if you go 100% custom. Fabrication won't take more than 2 days, again depending on your choices of features. To be on the safe side I think it is reasonable to say 5 work days from order to shipping.

I'm thinking to make an a-la-carte type system where I have my standard motherboard tray, chassis's, HDD racks, etc in stock and then you choose for example; right side panel triple 140mm fans and half window, left panel full window led lighting, front 5 5.25" bays, rear 4 fans.

As far as HDD racks I'm thinking a rack that quickly releases from the case and you mount your drives in with standard screws, should keep costs significantly lower than individual quick release for every drive. I don't know if I already said so or not, but I do NOT have capibility to do plastics besides cutting acrylic panels for windows.

One thing I've been interested in was a case-benching station hybrid. With a couple screw turns etc I can turn my upright case into a flat benching station ready for going cold.

Which would likely have to be more than just a motherboard tray as it will need a standoff for screwing in cards etc.

One thing I've been interested in was a case-benching station hybrid. With a couple screw turns etc I can turn my upright case into a flat benching station ready for going cold.

Which would likely have to be more than just a motherboard tray as it will need a standoff for screwing in cards etc.

I form the motherboard tray, and the pci slots with the screw holes as one piece. It's far easier to hold the tolerances by bending it out of one piece of steel. I'll see if I can get some pictures tomorrow.

Just checking in, I have currently on the drawing board: A full tower ATX, an HTPC type low profile for a full size ATX, and a Benching station. I am considering a Mini ITX and or Mini ATX HTPC, and a Desktop that can have the shell pulled off leaving you with a benching station. If there is anything else that would be of interest, feel free to say something. I'm looking to make what people actually want.

:pics:

I'm thinking you gonna get people on board when you have something to show off!
Agreed! I might be interested in an mATX case that was designed for watercooling, for maybe $200...I'm currently using a TJ08-E (pics in sig), and I like it a lot, but more rad space would be nice.

What are you using for CAD? I'm a Solidworks guy myself, but my girlfriend works for Autodesk so she uses Inventor and their new Fusion 360. Suffice to say, we could never work on CAD together in college, lol.

Agreed! I might be interested in an mATX case that was designed for watercooling, for maybe $200...I'm currently using a TJ08-E (pics in sig), and I like it a lot, but more rad space would be nice.

What are you using for CAD? I'm a Solidworks guy myself, but my girlfriend works for Autodesk so she uses Inventor and their new Fusion 360. Suffice to say, we could never work on CAD together in college, lol.

I use Autocad 2013, and machine specific software.

Case I want is pretty damn simple.

Cube case with the Entire front section being nothing but 5.25 bays. Power, Reset, LEDs in a single line between the two rows of bays.

Preferably capable of EATX sized MB, at least full ATX if nothing else. MB is seated on removable tray and installed in center line of case.
MB side has single 120mm fan on rear.
Non MB side has PSU installed on bottom of case, with 2x 120mm fans above it.

No windows or anything else on other sides.

Case I want is pretty damn simple.

Cube case with the Entire front section being nothing but 5.25 bays. Power, Reset, LEDs in a single line between the two rows of bays.

Preferably capable of EATX sized MB, at least full ATX if nothing else. MB is seated on removable tray and installed in center line of case.
MB side has single 120mm fan on rear.
Non MB side has PSU installed on bottom of case, with 2x 120mm fans above it.

No windows or anything else on other sides.

Sounds similar to what I'm doing for myself. :D I'm doing a box roughly 20" wide 20" deep and 12 high. on the front are two 5x5.25" bays side by side for a total of 10, the bottom of the case is the PSU and HDD racks, and above that is a horizontally mounted Full ATX board. Should be plenty of clearance for the biggest of coolers, but I have an H100 so I am doing a radiator mount integrated with the motherboard tray. Motherboard tray will be attached to cross supports via thumb screw so it can be lifted right out the top after disconnecting it from the PSU and drives. As soon as physical fabrication begins, I'll do my best to get pictures of each stage. I am extremely busy right now, and I keep making revisions to my drawings, but I hope to have a physical prototype by mid next week. I'm putting in a few hours tonight drawing so hopefully I'll have some drawings printed to take into the shop tomorrow. Slow process, but it should be worth it in the end. :D

Please post pictures. I'm interested in a bench (wood preferably) but if you can do a nice simple one with the metal you have to work with how much would it cost me for something like this. Again pics please thanks.

Back