• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internet explorer 11 metro app not visiable windows 8.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Firey_chasm

Hi,

I have just got a surface pro, everything is working like a charm, except I would like to use internet explorer 11. I am using the desktop app just fine. However I cannot see a link to the metro app anywhere. I have tried swiping in from the right and using search, but that only brings back some settings. Not even a hint of the app itself.

If I swipe up to get all my apps then internet explorer isn't listed there

I have it set as my default browser. I have tried the browser choice tool and selected internet explorer. All that does is tell me congratulations it is already installed and gives me loads of advertising why ie is the 'best' browser.

I am no longer promoted to choose my browser by windows, but browser choice still exists under my apps.

Any idea what's wrong and why I cant use the metro version of ie (if I go through the browser choice and select ie it loads up metro ie, so I definitely know its installed - I just haven't found any other way of accessing it!)

Thanks in advance

Hi

This problem has driven me crazy since upgrading 8.1... I was going to reinstall IE11, but decided to give it one more go.

In the control panel default programs, accessible from IE11 tools->internet options-> programs -> set programs

From the form that opens there are 4 options: 1) Set your default programs; 2 Associate a file type...; 3 Change AutoPlay settings; 4) Set Programms and set defaults for this computer.

I first attempted setting ie as default from option 1, then in option 4, I select the Microsoft windows radio button and selected okay.

I have my metro icon back! What a lot of nonsense, just to get the icon back!

Back