• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internet Explorer 8 disables copy/paste FTP functions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Internet Explorer 8 disables copy/paste FTP functions - EDIT: Need fix for IE 10

EDIT: Need Fix for Internet Explorer 10 now. The old fix below only works for previous versions of IE.

I used to be able to copy/paste to ftp sites using Internet Explorer 6.
IE8 disabled this option.

Is there any way to re-enable it back?

EDIT: For IE 8 THE ANSWER IS TO CREATE A REGISTRY FILE (Doesn't Work for IE10):

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_INTERNET_SHELL_FOLDERS]
"iexplore.exe"=dword:00000001

Last edited:
I'm sure you've already checked these Advanced Options in IE8... Enable FTP Folder View (outside of Internet Explorer) and Use Passive FTP (for firewall and DSL modem compatibility); both settings checked. And I assume this is the URL format you're using...

ftp://[email protected]/directory/

Yes. It's the same ftp link in my Favorites.

I am trying to remember if I was able to do this in IE7 but I'm almost certain I was. You can't do this in any version of Firefox but in IE6 which I will never update :) in Windows XP you can.

Can anyone copy/paste into any ftp site using IE8?

Go to your FTP site by entering ftp:// in the address bar followed by the URL or IP address of your FTP site. The first time you go there you'll be prompted for your user name and password. But once you get to the page, you can save it as a Favorite and you won't need to enter that information again. Finally, when you get to the site, go to the Page menu and select "Open FTP site in Windows Explorer." Now you can use the familiar Windows Explorer interface to upload and download files.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/personaltechnology/2008898009_ptmrsh21.html

HTH

Yes! Except it's Internet Explorer 8 > View > Open FTP Site in Windows Explorer

So they've added extra steps. First log on and then View > Open FTP Site in Windows Explorer... and then you have to log on again by typing in full login info and then password again.

In case of a complicated log on info, this is a problem. In IE6 you just enter password once without log on info (if it's in the favorites link) and you're off to the races...

:clap: This forum is simply the best computer forum, period.

It works perfectly! Thank you Dice :beer:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_INTERNET_SHELL_FOLDERS]
"iexplore.exe"=dword:00000001

Hi, I have a problem with IE8 too. When I'm putting into address C:\ (local disk) contents is opening in a new window. Do you know is it possible this open in the same window?

Regards!

Welcome to the forums.

Yours is a separate question. The new window that launches is Windows Explorer allowing you to browse local disk contents.

Internet Explorer itself handles internet browsing, not hard drive browsing.

so is there any possibility to open window (with content of local drive) as a different user? (this is possible by IE6)

Last edited:
I don't know how it works in windows vista or 7 but in xp there is the runas (run as) command, that lets you open apps and browser windows as a different user.
try googling for its syntax, I don't really remember it.

another option:
try right clicking on the IE icon in the taskbar quick launch menu, do you see a "Run As..." option?

Yes I know I can use "Run as..." then new window is opened as different profile, but when I put "C:\" (address bar), content of this drive is opening in new window with rights logged profil (not profile which I`ve put in "Run as" window)

I hope you understand me :)

Need Fix for Internet Explorer 10 now. The old fix below only works for previous versions of IE.

Back