• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

interneting, like a boss.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I was wondering to myself what it took to internet like a boss, so I through my little, bad @zz 965 in a board and went surfing.
set my water cooled 965 to 3.8, through in 1, 2 gig stick of 1333 ram, plugged in my usb wifi dongle and loaded up Ubuntu onto the ssd
I also chucked in 2 1tb hdds and a usb external drive.
to load it I opened 10 webpages in pale moon, started a huge download to an internal hdd, started a huge transfer from the other internal hdd to the external hdd, started to watch zorba the greek while listening to big momma thorton.
this was kind of working, just lots of lag on the interwebs.
I shut it down and cranked my little sweetie up to 4.3 ghz and started the exact same stuff again, got a little better, got to 15 web pages before it stared to lag.
shut her down and through in the other 3 sticks of ram and set them to 7-5-5, this gave me 8 gigs.
fired her back up and restarted every thing back up but this time I got out to 40 web pages before It showed any real lag.
so..... what I get from this is that ram is what it takes to surf the webs like a boss and a fast, multi core cpu to do that while multi tasking...

Dear Dad,
You don't *need* to have 49 tabs to look up weather, listen to YouTube and check email:shrug: just close up whatever you don't use.

You don't know where the edge is until you look over it. :D

I got a guy at work that keeps over 100 tabs open, 20 or so word docs, 50+ spreadsheets, and don't get me started on how much he keeps open in outlook. His system is running 7, 4gb of ram and a older i5. Yet somehow his system runs fine with all that open.

I've only run into ram issues while gaming.
I am a bit suprised at how slow an ssd really is compared to system ram, but I would guess that the little chips on an ssd are much slower and also the sata interface plays a large part in that when it's having to use the swap file.
I would also assume that would hold true even with a pcie nvme drive.

They are, of course. Look at aida memory benchmarks and look at drive specs... sata or pcie nvme m.2 drives are a lot slower than RAM.

The sata interface does limit drive speed, indeed... hence part of the reason for the m.2 interface and it connecting on pcie lanes.

Old news really. :)

It's all perception. Depends on how you set your mind up.
Now remember, we wee fine a few years back with 512mb ram

This is like driving behind an elderly lady 25 in 35 zone. Walking is much slower. Remember.

First thing I did with my first Dell was yank out the 512 mb stick and put a 1 GB in. Added another two days later. LOL. I hate driving behind old ladies. I still remember trying to merge on to I-95 and seeing blue hair, white knuckles, and BRAKE LIGHTS at the bottom of the entrance ramp. :screwy:

now that I have proven to myself what's what with ram it makes me wonder if amd's ram disk will run on modern gear and if it will give anything a boost or is it like pcie drives, for me it really just improves boot times over a sata ssd.

on another ram note I found that ddr4 dual and quad channel ram will interchange and intermix, it will only run at the lowest spec available, but will work.

Last edited:
If you have lots of unused RAM you can store things in, it seems to work OK, but I don't know how if it would do much in a rig with modern gear. The principle still applies but I don't know if we're comparing times we can't really sense or not. Would be an interesting experiment. The idea has been around a long time.

Back