• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 1 hour prime 95 stable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BBanres1

Registered
I'm trying a new oc on my q6600; 8x400mhz @ 1.3125v

it ran for just under an hour on prime 95 torture test. Is this stable? I've been using this oc 24/7 for a few days with zero problems. Temps are not a problem either, idles in the low 30c stress test says under 60c. And its always the fourth thread in prime 95 that goes unstable, does that mean fourth core?

Anyways just wondering if i should be confident in this setup or if i need to keep tweaking?

Thanks

Hmm, alot of members here will say 8+ hours of prime with zero crashes/errors is considered stable. I would say 4+ hours is stable enough for me.

During gaming the pc is not going to be pushed to it's limits pass 4 hours. Maybe in like 2 hour intervals.

I normally find if theres a problem its usually in the first half hour of testing! But I still run prime at least 4 hours without any probs before I am even happyish about stability!

I am sure the threads test on each core as my x3 uses three threads on prime tests, but I might be wrong! But if you are getting fails on prime and your temps are fine, then maybe you need a jump in vcore!

thanks

the stability problem isn't really does the computer crash or not. that is easy to know even without primeing. the problem is are you recieving 1 error a week in OS files that will save and stack up until your computer is a quivering pile of mush.

i don't think one hour is enough... i've run prime for 3 hours and got errors
usually i just run for 4+ hours because i'm impatient lol

1 hour definitely isnt enough for stability.. Upon occasion I have gotten errors past 4 hours, though its rare.

I consider 8+ to be stable, but usually test for more than that because I let it run overnight.

Thanks for all of the responses. Looks like i'll set the voltage to the next step up.

Also b/c i'm running the chipset at its max, should i up the voltage on that, or does that not have an effect on the errors that im seeing?

ok so I was just about at the end of my prime test (4 hours). And its just failed!

So I think your question on prime is answered, I would say 6-8hours now min!

Yeah I was going to ask about the chipset at max too?

Sorry about the confusing terminology

The FSB is running at 1600mhz (4x400 right?). Thats the max its suppose to do. My question was, does the northbridge need more voltage?

My understanding of this may be wrong, feel free to correct me

what is the Northbridge speed? Check its not running to high for your oc! I would just try the vcore and see what happens with your prime tests!

I dont know what the NB speed should be for your OC, so you will have to find out!

Last edited:
I do 24 hours prime 95 AND 10 pass max intel burn test. If it can do both of those w/o failing, you are solid.

what is the Northbridge speed? Check its not running to high for your oc! I would just try the vcore and see what happens with your prime tests!

I dont know what the NB speed should be for your OC, so you will have to find out!
You mean HTT speed? I dont think there is a NB on boards w/ CPUs with IMC like PhII.

Hmm, alot of members here will say 8+ hours of prime with zero crashes/errors is considered stable. I would say 4+ hours is stable enough for me.

During gaming the pc is not going to be pushed to it's limits pass 4 hours. Maybe in like 2 hour intervals.

I say 12 hours stable of the following tests (each):

Prime 95
Memtest86+
OCCT (Standard with large data set).

I've seen it error out after so long. If it ever errors out though, something's gotta change.

I personally only use p95 for stability out on the bleeding edge of OCing. IF it can handle p95 it should be able to bench.

p95 blend is good for testing NB/RAM.

OCCT is good for really punishing CPU and GPU. The PSU test maxes out the CPU using linpack and GPU using, some type of furmark style test. Absolutely horrible on the PC. :D

1 hour of prime95 means it's 1h p95 stable.
It doesn't mean it's 100% stable, the only way to test 100% is to literally run it at 100% for an infinite amount of time.

Personally i expect mine to fold 24/7, it's at least two weeks stable as far as folding goes.

Can you please explain?, I thought the OPs board has a Northbridge X48 chipset or are I picking up what you said wrong?

thanks
It does, you are right. I thought b/c you said NB speed, you were talking about HTT speed like your PhII has :screwy:.

Still, I have never heard the term "NB Speed". Can you elaborate on that point a bit? Thank you! :beer:

It does, you are right. I thought b/c you said NB speed, you were talking about HTT speed like your PhII has :screwy:.

Still, I have never heard the term "NB Speed". Can you elaborate on that point a bit? Thank you! :beer:

Hi sorry you are right, I meant NB frequency not NB speed, my bad!

Back