• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 16gb of ram overkill?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Spot on... ^^

Thing is, IMO, 8GB is already overbuying for most users (perhaps not OCF's demog). So long as people play games though and can afford the meager difference, I always recommend 8GB. If its an interwebs machine, no need for more than 4GB.

EarthDog said:
Thing is, IMO, 8GB is already overbuying for most users (perhaps not OCF's demog). So long as people play games though and can afford the meager difference, I always recommend 8GB. If its an interwebs machine, no need for more than 4GB.

Right ! I just build a system as a gift for my sister and i buyed her a 2x2 gb set. Its plenty for her web browsing !

Its useless UNLESS you can use it, right.

Right again ! Since my 16gb was kinda useless, i tryed fancycache and im currently using 8gb of my ram for caching with this software. Its seems to be doing something since my Anvil and ATTO score shows insane read and write performance. Some apps and games show a bit of improvement after usage. My system is fresh booted and i have 5.29gb free from the 8.144gb i told fancycache to use.

Pretty good memory caching prog if you have spare memory !

If you like to do alot of web browsing and leave multiple windows open its really not a bad investment anymore. Chrome and the general scrips that are beeing ran on alot of pages these days are quickly eating into the 8gb of ram that i run lately. If i Go to run a game ontop of it I am at the limit (yeah i leave my browsers open 24/7) I am usually streaming netflix or something at the same time aswell so even without the extra browser bloat from poor optimization i am still rather close to the 8gb limit.

I'd say just go for the 16gb an be happy with not having to deal with excessive caching due to the bloat. Its only gonna get worse in the next few years. Its unlikely to get better since resources like memory are so cheap.

If you like to do alot of web browsing and leave multiple windows open its really not a bad investment anymore. Chrome and the general scrips that are beeing ran on alot of pages these days are quickly eating into the 8gb of ram that i run lately. If i Go to run a game ontop of it I am at the limit (yeah i leave my browsers open 24/7) I am usually streaming netflix or something at the same time aswell so even without the extra browser bloat from poor optimization i am still rather close to the 8gb limit.

I'd say just go for the 16gb an be happy with not having to deal with excessive caching due to the bloat. Its only gonna get worse in the next few years. Its unlikely to get better since resources like memory are so cheap.

Just curious, why leave browser windows in Chrome open while gaming? I feel like flash ads and crap in the background would just add a little unnecessary stress to the rig..Especially when you can restore state or set Chrome to automatically re-open every tab you closed in the same state it was in when you closed it when you re-open chrome..

I Play in windowed mode generally, and often tab in and out of games while I work. So I can either do things like Farm the Auction houses in mmo's or craft stuff. Sometimes to look up locations for items drops and stuff. Its a rather common practice for Most MMO gamers to leave their browsers open all the time while they game.

Closeing some pages doesn't correctly leave them in the right state either. The general amount of low end traffic from stuff in the background isn't generally a problem, Nor is flash traffic for most stuff (Since i disable most of that with ad blocking and don't really frequent flash sites).

Overall Performance wise with i7 even at low speed you are unlikely to run into performance problems due to having multiple pages open inthe back ground. Generally with 2 or more cores this is pretty much the way things work. It's a habit i Developed close to 12 years ago when I started using Dual Processor graphics workstations to have large amounts of browsers and pictures open at one time for refrence work. Rarely have I ever seen it cause an actual performance problem outside of large amounts of memory usage.

Generally browers in the last 6 months are so have become alot more inflated and memory hungry due to the increased bulk due to security handling and incapsulation of tabs as their own entity instead of bleeding into the memory space of the other open tabs. Its part of the price you pay for security.

As for what i generally run as a default on my system even before opening a game, Steam, 10-20 open browser tabs. VMware Vsphere management console. Itunes/windows media player. Sometimes pandora desktop APP. I would consider this to be a pretty consistant Default amount of stuff for me.

I Play in windowed mode generally, and often tab in and out of games while I work. So I can either do things like Farm the Auction houses in mmo's or craft stuff. Sometimes to look up locations for items drops and stuff. Its a rather common practice for Most MMO gamers to leave their browsers open all the time while they game.

Closeing some pages doesn't correctly leave them in the right state either. The general amount of low end traffic from stuff in the background isn't generally a problem, Nor is flash traffic for most stuff (Since i disable most of that with ad blocking and don't really frequent flash sites).

Overall Performance wise with i7 even at low speed you are unlikely to run into performance problems due to having multiple pages open inthe back ground. Generally with 2 or more cores this is pretty much the way things work. It's a habit i Developed close to 12 years ago when I started using Dual Processor graphics workstations to have large amounts of browsers and pictures open at one time for refrence work. Rarely have I ever seen it cause an actual performance problem outside of large amounts of memory usage.

Generally browers in the last 6 months are so have become alot more inflated and memory hungry due to the increased bulk due to security handling and incapsulation of tabs as their own entity instead of bleeding into the memory space of the other open tabs. Its part of the price you pay for security.

As for what i generally run as a default on my system even before opening a game, Steam, 10-20 open browser tabs. VMware Vsphere management console. Itunes/windows media player. Sometimes pandora desktop APP. I would consider this to be a pretty consistant Default amount of stuff for me.

Haha, say no more sir. I leave a single browser in imgur or the sort when I play MMO's myself-- typically I just move it onto the 3rd monitor and shimmy over there when I need it :p

Was just curious-- Hey, its good you actually use yoru ram :attn:

you know you can run a OS right off of your Ram, so having alot of it will help if you dont want to spend the money on a SSD

I dont understand Rotary... how does the ram get its data for the OS if not from a HDD? RAM isnt there when you shut the PC off so how is that possible?

I dont understand Rotary... how does the ram get its data for the OS if not from a HDD? RAM isnt there when you shut the PC off so how is that possible?

You can buy one of those fancy schmancy PCI-e DRAM drives, ey?

I feel like this isn't what he's doing though o_O

You can buy one of those fancy schmancy PCI-e DRAM drives, ey?

I feel like this isn't what he's doing though o_O

No Im not doing it that way but i have seen computers run everything from ram, not 100% what program they are using

Soooooooooooooooooooo how does it work? How can you put your entire OS in ram without using the HDD to get it there in the first place (which is what makes that.....option, worth it).

No Im not doing it that way but i have seen computers run everything from ram, not 100% what program they are using

100% power-on state programs work like this, and they turn your computer "off" by using standby, power has to remain "on" in order to maintain the integrity of the data stored in this RAM Drive you speak of.

They also require a HDD to maintain the data in case of a power failure. You have to know how RAM works to know how these programs work. They're terrible in application :\

Maybe running VMs off a ramdisk, so the VM is 100% on RAM but the "main OS" is on a HDD or SSD. Maybe this is what he saw. I dont see how a computer could boot an OS from the Ram itself, its just impossible.

Maybe running VMs off a ramdisk, so the VM is 100% on RAM but the "main OS" is on a HDD or SSD. Maybe this is what he saw. I dont see how a computer could boot an OS from the Ram itself, its just impossible.

See mah post. There's a program that works "Like a true RAM Drive" but still doesn't allow for an actual power down or cold boot :p

Its useless UNLESS you can use it, right.

You don't have to use it. Your OS will do that for you. Memory management and caching is not a userland thing.

See mah post. There's a program that works "Like a true RAM Drive" but still doesn't allow for an actual power down or cold boot :p

Yeah. And where did that program get loaded from, huh? Just because you don't ever unplug or fully shut down a system doesn't mean it's never going to lose power. EDIT: Might've misinterpreted your statement.

Last edited:
You don't have to use it. Your OS will do that for you. Memory management and caching is not a userland thing.

Yeah. And where did that program get loaded from, huh?

Hence me saying it can not be used for a cold boot. Please re-read.

Edit: Not only re-read the last post, but read the one that clearly states "A HDD IS STILL NECESSARY" It actually irritates me that you jumped on that post so out of context.

Last edited:

Yeah. And where did that program get loaded from, huh?
Correct to a point.. I saw VERY little ram use go up when I had 8 vs 16. Superfetch only doesso much.

I don't consider it am overkill then again I have two MacBooks with 16GB of Ram, a desktop with 16GB, and my new esxi server with 32GB.

Ram is pretty cheap these days

Back