• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a 3500+ a bottleneck for a 7900gs ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NettieZoom

I was wondering if a 3500+ am2 single core @2.4ghz is a bottleneck for my 7900GS or if it can actually max it out ?
I currently get about 18.5k in 3dmark 03 with my current setup, i know i should be using a newer 3dmark but didnt want to do the way bigger download at the time lol.

Any thoughts ?? thanks

Nettie

Its probably close. My 3200+ OC'd to 2.15gz was bottlenecking my 7950GT on 3Dmark05. I upgraded to a 4000+, and my score went from low 9,000's to 10,272, so big improvement. Not sure how much more powerful the 7950GT is over the 7900GS though.

Your system is actully pretty well rounded. you can probably get more out of that 3500+ too with some work. If you can get it up to 2.6ish and overclock your GS, you have a winning combo =D

Unfortunetly my M2N4-SLI MB will not go beyond 1.25 volts on the vcore GGGGGRRRRRRR other wise i would probably hit 2.8 :(
At 2.4ghz the CPU temp doesnt go past 28C under 100% load.

Working on getting another MB/CPU sometime soon.

I wouldnt worry. AM2 machines are pretty bandwith savey so your card should be plenty happy.
you might consider a motherboard upgrade though, to somthing with some more oc options. perhaps a lanparty nf570-sli =D

I am going to give the M2N32-SLI Deluxe a try next, it has the nforce 5 chipset and supposedly does not suffer from the M2N4-SLI's shortcomings.

Back