• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a G-Sync monitor the holy grail?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So let me try to sum up all the feedback.

IPS is a good choice, but more modern TN are fine if you are not looking for that "sparkly" colour clearness.
IPS at 60Hz is fine, but still 144Hz does make a difference even when not gaming.
GSync does add that extra top off the block, but one can do very fine without, with 144Hz.
So seems that my budget choice of an MG248Q is a good one, but if BlackFriday offers the PG248Q at a reasonable budget offer, then its a solid choice.
Though going with a GSync monitor will in some terms lock me into the eco-system of nVidia, for my future graphics card purchases.

It all has to come down to value for the money, need to have vs nice to have.

Thank you all for your feedback.
I will let you know which I bought and how I feel about it after using it for some time.

I'd go G-Sync and not worry about locking myself to NVIDIA going forward, if I were purchasing monitors right now.

You can still use other graphics cards with the G-Sync monitor, for the record. You simply won't be able to utilize the G-Sync portion of it.

Why pay the extra $250+/- for G Sync if you're not going to stick to Nvidia? If you went to AMD for your next card that's like flushing $250 (and the best quality of that monitor) down the toilet. JM2C.

So let me try to sum up all the feedback.

IPS is a good choice, but more modern TN are fine if you are not looking for that "sparkly" colour clearness.
IPS at 60Hz is fine, but still 144Hz does make a difference even when not gaming.
GSync does add that extra top off the block, but one can do very fine without, with 144Hz.
So seems that my budget choice of an MG248Q is a good one, but if BlackFriday offers the PG248Q at a reasonable budget offer, then its a solid choice.
Though going with a GSync monitor will in some terms lock me into the eco-system of nVidia, for my future graphics card purchases.

It all has to come down to value for the money, need to have vs nice to have.

Thank you all for your feedback.
I will let you know which I bought and how I feel about it after using it for some time.

G-Sync is for when the FPS goes up and down past the monitor refresh rate of 144Hz. Here is a article to read about how G-Sync works by manipulating the display’s VBLANK (vertical blanking interval).

When you have a frame that arrives in the middle of a refresh, the display ends up drawing parts of multiple frames on the screen at the same time. Drawing parts of multiple frames at the same time can result in visual artifacts, or tears, separating the individual frames. You’ll notice tearing as horizontal lines/artifacts that seem to scroll across the screen. It can be incredibly distracting.

Because the content of each frame of a game can vary wildly, the GPU’s frame rate can be similarly variable. Once again we find ourselves in a situation where the GPU wants to present a frame out of sync with the display. With vsync enabled, the GPU will wait to deliver the frame until the next refresh period, resulting in a repeated frame in the interim. This repeated frame manifests itself as stuttering. As long as you have a frame rate that isn’t perfectly aligned with your refresh rate, you’ve got the potential for visible stuttering.
Anandtech
LINK: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7582/nvidia-gsync-review

Last edited:
Good reading, thanks wingman.

Interesting to know that, at the time of the article, G-Sync was not where nVidia wanted it to be, so I might do some digging to see if they made it up there.
Could help my decision, but also I am starting to think if I start out with the MG, due to budget and then later have cash for perhaps the PG or at least a G-Sync monitor, that could be a way to go.
Would be sad to retire my good old ViewSonic, but who knows.

side note
When talking about tearing, I must say that I cannot recall ever noticing it in any game I have played, though I have experienced stutter.

On the nVidia or AMD question, well, either choice will not benefit from its counterparts sync system, but I hope that that will not be a choice needed to be taken.
Make gamers happy nVidia and AMD, be good boys/girls....

Back