• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is anyone getting windows 8?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

10XTriplet

Disabled
I just got an e-blast from the egg to pre-order windows 8 Pro for $109 (reg 139.99), and standard (non domain) for $69 (reg $99) with promo codes. Should I pre-order? These seem like good prices...for a brand new OS, that really works great. Thoughts?

A couple threads on W8 already with people saying yay/nay....

Nay here outside of benching.

Nope. Not that silly interface. Last I heard you couldnt switch it in the RTM like you could in beta. Though in one of the other W8 threads in this section, someone claimed you could do it again.. no reply on that yet.

Just no point for me outside of benchmarking IF it has any benefits.

Nope. Not that silly interface. Last I heard you couldnt switch it in the RTM like you could in beta. Though in one of the other W8 threads in this section, someone claimed you could do it again.. no reply on that yet.

Just no point for me outside of benchmarking IF it has any benefits.

I guess for benching stand point, but for the home user its awesome. No more start button. Just everything right in front of you.. An app store for silly apps... I have a 90 day RTM, and I love it. I installed it on my laptop to get better acquainted with it.. Not much of a PC gamer or into benching, so nothing lost there. But I like the redesign, but unsure if I should get the Pro or standard..

With the RTM I can get the desktop, just no start button..

The interface ruined it for me. I don't care for how it's laid out at all. I guess I'm still old fashioned :) I guess one could argue that it's quicker than 7 is.. But my computer is already very fast with 7 so I'm not bothered by waiting an extra few seconds. If it benches good I'd play with it a little, but it will not see daily use on my systems :thup:

but it will not see daily use on my systems :thup:

You mean yet... once they (hacking community) figure out how to get the traditional start button back, it will be more appealing to the elite group. I figure its a stupid reg hack...

I just found the answer... There is a program called "classic shell" that may be the answer to the start button debacle.. :thup::thup::thup:

Last edited:
Yeah, there are programs... or you can make Windows 8 boot into Desktop bypassing Metro altogether manually.

Both OfficeMax and I believe Amazon are giving $30 store credit with pre-order.
http://www.officemax.com/technology/software/windows-8-software/product-prod4260960

Last night I used my OfficeMax Coupon to get it for $69.99-$10 coupon-$30 store credit = $29.99

Store credit posts later on and you need to use it within like 3 months of posting I think.

Got as far as booting into Desktop with a test RTM Final build:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714656

But to answer the thread topic, you may not be wanting to spend $ on Win7 to Win8 upgrade, but definitely go Win8 instead of Win7 given a choice of two -- since if you are on this forum, you are computer literate enough to modify it to boot into desktop.

Out of the box however, chances are 9/10 it will drive you crazy with Metro interface on home computer.

But to answer the thread topic, you may not be wanting to spend $ on Win7 to Win8 upgrade, but definitely go Win8 instead of Win7 given a choice of two -- since if you are on this forum, you are computer literate enough to modify it to boot into desktop.

Out of the box however, chances are 9/10 it will drive you crazy with Metro interface on home computer.

Those prices are not upgrades, but full versions.

Classic shell works great!

Attachments

• start-button.jpg
    start-button.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 175
Yeah it does :), here's my Windows 7 under Classic Shell, but does Classic Shell have the option to make Windows 8 bypass Metro and boot into Windows 8 Desktop?

Attachments

• Toolbar.jpg
    Toolbar.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 166
Yeah it does :), here's my Windows 7 under Classic Shell, but does Classic Shell have the option to make Windows 8 bypass Metro and boot into Windows 8 Desktop?

Yes sir! Boots right into the desktop! The start pin flashes for a second, then goes to the desktop..

Cool, since I will most definitely be using Classic Shell, no need for manual edit then, thanks!

* [Always boot into Windows 8 Desktop, bypassing Windows 8 Metro:]

Right-click on the lower left corner > Click on the yellow File Explorer icon > View > Options > View TAB > SELECT: Show hidden files, folders, and drives and UNCHECK: Hide extensions for known file types > OK > Now go to Computer > C Drive > Windows > Right click on empty space > New > Text document > name the file NoMetro > Open it in Notepad and enter the following:

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=Explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

File > Save > Rename the file's extension to .scf so the file is now called NoMetro.scf (even if .scf extension is not visible)

Right-click on the lower left corner > Run > control schedtasks

Task Scheduler Library > Create Task… (upper right) > Name: NoMetro > Triggers TAB > New… > Drop down menu > At log on > OK >

Actions TAB > New... > Browse to C:\Windows\NoMetro.scf you created above (even if .scf extension is not visible) > Open > OK > OK

I believe it is a boot into Desktop manual edit only.

Ah, so Classic Shell is a real bonus which adds the start button... I bet MS will issue an update which will add it back in if enough people bark about it.. I bet its already made, and its waiting to sent as an update..

im going back to windows 98 lololol

il probably end up using it anyhow lol we all will be some day,

I get it free through MSDNAA (for my uni) so I am using it on my HTPC. I wouldn't bother paying for it though, unless upgrading from XP or Vista.

Back