• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is anyone getting windows 8?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you boot into desktop looking like Windows 7, then Windows 8 would be Windows 7 Plus, right?

So once the painfully aggravating Metro interface is removed, I don't see the downside.

So once the painfully aggravating Metro interface is removed, I don't see the downside.

I'll be sure to come back and laugh at ppl when Windows 9, 10 & 11 still has the modern start screen. It isn't going any where, so learn it, love it & deal with it. There's always Linux or Mac...but that would involve learning wouldn't it?

:).

It involves extra steps. If it takes a full one second to do something, what is one second, they might say?

But people using instantaneous computing notice even half a second of extra work. I nuke my OS partition the moment I notice the lag of even a second and reimage it back to how I set it up to be: instantaneous.

Metro for business or home involves extra steps, we should have options to use both. Yes, you bet we will remove eye candy from follow up versions of windows as well and replace it with instantaneous functionality.

Last edited:
I'll be sure to come back and laugh at ppl when Windows 9, 10 & 11 still has the modern start screen. It isn't going any where, so learn it, love it & deal with it. There's always Linux or Mac...but that would involve learning wouldn't it?

I have to disagree with this. If it flops painfully do you honestly think they will continue to say screw the consumer and keep it like that? I doubt it.

I have no use for the Metro UI or the attitude.

I have to disagree with this. If it flops painfully do you honestly think they will continue to say screw the consumer and keep it like that? I doubt it.

This , I agree with.

Windows 8 Tip: Understand The Differences Between The SkyDrive App And The SkyDrive Application
http://www.winsupersite.com/article...nces-skydrive-app-skydrive-application-144573

4w8Rr.jpg

The SkyDrive app exists for one primary reason, and it has nothing to do with browsing your cloud-based storage from a native app. (The browser experience is just as nice.) It’s there so that your SkyDrive folder structure is available from the File Picker interface that’s available to all Metro-style apps. So when you’re looking to change the photo on your PC’s lock screen, the PC Settings interface for doing this opens File Picker and lets you navigate into SkyDrive, as well as your local file system and some other locations.

[...]

Of course, what many people are really looking for is a way to sync the contents of SkyDrive to their PC’s or device’s hard drive so that they can create new files, edit files, organize the folder structure, and so on, have all those changes replicate up to the cloud, and be able to access their content while offline. Microsoft makes such a solution, in its SkyDrive desktop application for Windows. This application is completely different from the SkyDrive (mobile, Metro-style) app that ships as part of Windows 8.

lmao

i hate the interface. but I know i need at least 1 copy of it so I can learn it for only 1 reason: when others in the family finally end up getting a computer that has it and they have issues, I will be able to help them with it.

My copy is in the mail and I am excited and nervous at the same time. It will be such a dramatic change. I think I am ready though.

:) If you can keep your previous version of Windows, do so. Install Windows 8 on another partition and then dual boot. That way if (that's to say, when) something goes wrong, you simply reboot into your previous version of Windows.

:) If you can keep your previous version of Windows, do so. Install Windows 8 on another partition and then dual boot. That way if (that's to say, when) something goes wrong, you simply reboot into your previous version of Windows.

Unfortunately I have a rather small ssd(120gb) as my boot drive so it would be impractical to partition it. I think I will get used to it fairly quickly because I don't use my home computer for work. The modern ui is so casual though it would look like a toy in the workplace.

I understand. I had both Windows XP and Windows 7 *and* a third partition on a 60GB SSD until recently.

If you keep all storage elsewhere, and if needed install large applications on another partition, 60 GGB SSD would fit both Windows XP and Windows 8 or Windows 7 and Windows 8.

My copy is in the mail and I am excited and nervous at the same time. It will be such a dramatic change. I think I am ready though.

Be sure to install Classic Shell, because without it, you may be lost.. You will still have the full functionality of the metro desktop, you just now have both to use... I really like it.. Seems real snappy..:attn:

best tip ive found so far is press start key to bring up metro and press it again to make it go away makes it alot more like a start menu, wonder if i can just put a shortcut to it on the task bar

I get it free through MSDNAA (for my uni) so I am using it on my HTPC. I wouldn't bother paying for it though, unless upgrading from XP or Vista.

I can get it for free through my university also. I just installed a fresh copy of 7 though, so I don't feel like going through the work to try out 8.

I pulled the trigger. Only because I know I will need to learn it for work and myself being in I.T.

Paid $32.47
:attn:

I just got an e-blast from the egg to pre-order windows 8 Pro for $109 (reg 139.99), and standard (non domain) for $69 (reg $99) with promo codes. Should I pre-order? These seem like good prices...for a brand new OS, that really works great. Thoughts?

Attachments

• win8.JPG
    win8.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 56
Should have just saved the $15+ you paid for the dvd and had the compatibility program burn a .iso which is asks if you want it to.

Ok so I've had it for a few days now and it isn't bad, but my biggest problem with it is I can't install modern ui apps on my secondary hdd. I simply don't understand this design limitation at all. I am not going to install apps on my ssd!

Can you clarify that about not being to install what on another hard drive?

Back