• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is anyone using HDMI for audio?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just wondering if its worth an upgrade? Can you tell a difference between it and optical audio for games or movies?

I've used both, and in the end I dont really notice much of a difference, if at all. The only reason I use both is due to input shortages for all of my components (computer = optical, 360 = hdmi, dvd = optical).

I can't tell the difference, but then again, I'm using the two 5 watt speakers on my TV with my PS3 for sound through HDMI.

HDMI really has no advantage over TOS/optical unless you have a reaceiver capable of receiving uncompressed 7.1 audio. Even then, DTS 7.1 and Dolby Digital 7.1 sound pretty darned good anyway, so I'm not sure you'll see much difference unless you have a mega-expensive receiver and speakers.

HDMI really has no advantage over TOS/optical unless you have a reaceiver capable of receiving uncompressed 7.1 audio. Even then, DTS 7.1 and Dolby Digital 7.1 sound pretty darned good anyway, so I'm not sure you'll see much difference unless you have a mega-expensive receiver and speakers.

Yeah, the reciever is what I was concerned about and replacing it with something that has HDMI/HDMI but pass-through would be nice, its not worth it unless theres something significantly better about the sound/modes it offers.

Thanks for th info guys.

Yeah, the reciever is what I was concerned about and replacing it with something that has HDMI/HDMI but pass-through would be nice, its not worth it unless theres something significantly better about the sound/modes it offers.

Thanks for th info guys.

The only difference you'll see is less wire clutter and access to the newer HD sound formats (provided you have a reciever capable of decoding them). Aside form that, digital is digital so you won't hear any difference between optical, caox digital and HDMI otherwise. Unless you have a serious home theater setup, I doubt you'd even hear a difference even with the new HD formats.
I use HDMI to connect my PS3, but only because it was cheaper to buy the HDMI cable than to buy the component connector and so I could use the PS3 to upscale dvds.

I think HDMI was for reducing wires, considering you need only one (or 6, if it's a 5.1 system). I personally do not own an HDMI system, but my father does. It sounds the exact same as his older optical/component setup, and in my opinion, looks sharper.

The only difference you'll see is less wire clutter and access to the newer HD sound formats (provided you have a reciever capable of decoding them). Aside form that, digital is digital so you won't hear any difference between optical, caox digital and HDMI otherwise. Unless you have a serious home theater setup, I doubt you'd even hear a difference even with the new HD formats.
I use HDMI to connect my PS3, but only because it was cheaper to buy the HDMI cable than to buy the component connector and so I could use the PS3 to upscale dvds.

That was one thing I noticed when reading the manual and won't be a big deal until I get an amp. I wonder if I can get an amp the will take the HDMI cable so i don't have to upgrade recievers for a while longer and still have access to higher quality music formats.

I guess it doesn't matter until I can get an amp anyway.

That was one thing I noticed when reading the manual and won't be a big deal until I get an amp. I wonder if I can get an amp the will take the HDMI cable so i don't have to upgrade recievers for a while longer and still have access to higher quality music formats.

I guess it doesn't matter until I can get an amp anyway.

If you're talking about a seperate amp for your speakers, I've never seen one that will accept HDMI, probably because it was never meant to carry audio only and the amp would then have to send the video signal back out which would end up negating the point of having seperates. If you do get a seperate amp you could always upgrade to an inexpensive reciever that accepts HDMI. If its just going to be used for switching and decoding there's no need to have an expensive one.
What kind of setup do you have currently?
As far as sound goes though, you really aren't missing out on anything right now. The HD audio formats aren't really worth the extra $$ right now as they're still maturing. Currently the difference between HD uncompressed audio and DTS lossless is pretty much nill unless you have a serious dedicated home theater. And on top of that alot of HD-DVD's and BD don't even have HD audio tracks yet.

If you're talking about a seperate amp for your speakers, I've never seen one that will accept HDMI, probably because it was never meant to carry audio only and the amp would then have to send the video signal back out which would end up negating the point of having seperates. If you do get a seperate amp you could always upgrade to an inexpensive reciever that accepts HDMI. If its just going to be used for switching and decoding there's no need to have an expensive one.
What kind of setup do you have currently?
As far as sound goes though, you really aren't missing out on anything right now. The HD audio formats aren't really worth the extra $$ right now as they're still maturing. Currently the difference between HD uncompressed audio and DTS lossless is pretty much nill unless you have a serious dedicated home theater. And on top of that alot of HD-DVD's and BD don't even have HD audio tracks yet.

Its a Harman/Kardon AVR525 with a Paradigm 5.1 setup. I wanted to get an amp before spending money on a new reciever as I am very happy with this one for movies and such. It sounds like the beifits of HDMI inputs aren't worth the trouble for me now so i will wait.

Its the tech fever where you know something isn't all that great or worth the money, but you still HAVE to have it. Thats why I bought a PS3... and several thousand dollars in PC parts:D

Its a Harman/Kardon AVR525 with a Paradigm 5.1 setup. I wanted to get an amp before spending money on a new reciever as I am very happy with this one for movies and such. It sounds like the beifits of HDMI inputs aren't worth the trouble for me now so i will wait.

Its the tech fever where you know something isn't all that great or worth the money, but you still HAVE to have it. Thats why I bought a PS3... and several thousand dollars in PC parts:D

I know exactly what you mean, it took me a while to convince myself that I didn't need HD audio yet. I love my current set-up, pioneer vsx-1015tx and polk rti series 5.1 system, but I'm constantly struggling to keep myself from upgrading it with shiny, flashy electronic things I'll never use. :D
When I want something and I know I shouldn't get it yet, I try to keep reading all the reviews and threads I can find that say it isn't worthwhile and try to avoid the ones that say how cool it is...its the only way I save any money.

What series paradigm's are they? I've been looking at the studios (and :drool: over the signatures) for a future home theater/music/rec room, the Dali Helicon and Euphonium lines recently caught my eye too....oye, I need to start saving.

I know exactly what you mean, it took me a while to convince myself that I didn't need HD audio yet. I love my current set-up, pioneer vsx-1015tx and polk rti series 5.1 system, but I'm constantly struggling to keep myself from upgrading it with shiny, flashy electronic things I'll never use. :D
When I want something and I know I shouldn't get it yet, I try to keep reading all the reviews and threads I can find that say it isn't worthwhile and try to avoid the ones that say how cool it is...its the only way I save any money.

What series paradigm's are they? I've been looking at the studios (and :drool: over the signatures) for a future home theater/music/rec room, the Dali Helicon and Euphonium lines recently caught my eye too....oye, I need to start saving.

Its the Atoms. Great little speakers, but then there is that too... SPEAKER UPGRADE!!! :drool:

Ah well, it never ends does it.

So whats next for you? Amp, 7.1, etc..?

Its the Atoms. Great little speakers, but then there is that too... SPEAKER UPGRADE!!! :drool:

Ah well, it never ends does it.

So whats next for you? Amp, 7.1, etc..?

Next up for me is a house hopefully, the Mrs. and I are saving to move up to NH, once ther I'm hoping to set up a nice dedicated theater/listening/rec room. I'm thinking either Dali Helicon 400's or Paradigm S4's for my fronts depending on the room size (and matching surrounds from the same line), and I've been looking at Emotiva for a seperate amp and pre/pro...nope, it never ends. :)

Back