• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is changing VID normal/okay/safe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zhenglowe

Hello everyone,

I bought a cheap Dell with a Q6600 on sale, and I plugged in decent GPU and cooler after tape-modding the processor to run at 3.0 Ghz (just changing FSB to 1333 from 1066, methinks?). Rivatuner shows the CPU clocks to all hover around 3.0 GHz (at ALL times), while Coretemp is showing 2 GHz at idle and low stress (e.g. moving a large file, running several apps that already open, running iTunes and a game paused in the background), and 3 GHz when it is slightly stressed (e.g. opening an application, actively running a game). They both show the same temperatures at all times.

Anyways, my main concern is that in Coretemp, the VID changes from 1.1625v when it is showing 2 GHz to 1.3250v when it spikes up to 3 Ghz. Also, Rivatuner is showing 3 GHz while Coretemp says 2 GHz!?!

Here are SS's, which were captured within a few minutes of each other:

1.1625v
1.3250v
http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/...eas or concerns would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
The bios probably has power save features enabled. So when you are not doing anything or very little, the processor underclocks to save power.

Coretemp is seeing both the underclocked and overclocked settings depending on how much work you put on the proc, whereas rivatuner seems to only see the overclocked settings.

So when someone interested in buying my PC asks me what the VID for my processor is, should I tell them 1.1625v or 1.3250v?

Thank you for the reply

your real vid is 1.3250v so tell them that, your vid changes from speedstep i believe when it drops the multi down to 6 :)

Got it, and thanks again. I would go ahead and delete this thread to do my part in cleaning up the forums, but I can't seem to figure how or if I even can.

Cheers

Back