• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is is possible to disable NTLM2 in Windows 7 Home Premium

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium at work and we have a computer that's running Win2k Advanced Server as a fileserver / VPN server. Occasionally I need to access files on it and have found doing so impossible w/ Windows 7 Home Premium.

I've gone into the Advanced Network Settings of Windows 7 and set the encryption level to use 40- or 56-bit encryption, but that doesn't seem to do the trick as I still can't access the shares on that computer.

Windows 7 versions above Home Premium have access to the Local Security Policy snap-in, and you can disable it there, but Home Premium does not have this snap-in, which makes me a sad ninja.

Is there any way to fix this, or do I have to wait for Microsoft to do something about it?

Got it! I found the answer while browsing through a thread on Sevenforums.com regarding SAMBA issues that were very similar to mine. If you're having these types of troubles with your Win 7 Home Premium shares, try this fix:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc960646.aspx

Basically, you have to add a DWORD value called LmCompatibilityLevel to HKLM|System|CurrentControlSet|Control|Lsa and set the value to 2.

Problem solved! I hope this thread can help out somebody else who has this problem.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium at work and we have a computer that's running Win2k Advanced Server mobility as a fileserver / VPN server. Occasionally I need to access files on it and have found doing so impossible w/ Windows 7 Home Premium.

I've gone into the Advanced Network Settings of Windows 7 and set the encryption level to use 40- or 56- mobile network security bit encryption, but that doesn't seem to do the trick as I still can't access the shares on that computer.

Windows 7 versions above Home Premium have access to the Local Security Policy snap-in, and you can disable it there, but Home Premium does not have this snap-in, which makes me a sad ninja.

Is there any way to fix this, or do I have to wait for Microsoft to do something about it?

Yes there is a way to fix this if you go into the advanced network settings of windows. Did u figure this out? if you did i'd love to know how. THANKS

Johnsims, I would enjoy to know it. Could not understand Oni´s solution...

Thanks!

When you've only got Win7 home and you've created a Homegroup or MS have applied a fix to screw up the NTLM settings and resetting the LMCompatilbilityLevel won't do it for you, try

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976918

Just go down to the workaround heading and apply the registry mod.
It works for me!

Cheers

Back