• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it harmful for a fan to stop it using finger?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asembler

I wonder wheter is it harmful for a fan to stop it for a moment using a finger? Until yesterday I didn't know that it should be done only on the center of a fan and I have stopped my 1300RPM fans in my new PC by gently putting a fingers in fan blades... Fans have stopped without a problem and I didn't broke any of blades, but now I have noticed some strange (very silent buzz) noise coming from my VGA fans. Probably, it was present before and I just didn't noticed that, but I'm not 100% sure and I want to know wheter I could break something without breaking blades. :)

If you deliver a large enough physical shock to the fan blades it can bend things.
If you do it gently, it's fine. I've done it countless times.

I always ease a finger in there to stop them, never seemed to hurt the fan. My finger may argue otherwise... but its fine.

Try that with a 6K rpm fan going full bore and you'll soon find that your fingers are way more delicate than the fan blades... :D

Yeah I lost a chunk from my finger one time to a fan. Stings like a ***** tooooo. The fan chugs along hapily to this day.

I thought I was the only person in the world that this could happen too. I am in good company.

LOL, I just did this yesterday with my GFB1212VHW , I was using it to cool myself because the AC was having a hard time keeping up with the near 100F temps outside :( (for those that know) it hurt like a sunuva

Now I remember why I always kept a fan grill on that thing :eek:

Back