• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it okay to add 16gb of ram to a system that already has 16gb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Replacement

I have a asrock z77 extreme 3 that has 16 gb on there now and I wanted to up it to 32 gb by adding an additional 2 8gb sticks.
Do I have to "pair" the ram so it plays nice or can I just get 2 more 8 gb sticks and slap them in and be done with it?

You need to match the existing RAM.

That said, are you even using all 16GB that you have currently?

The ram that is in there is no longer sold anywhere that I can find.
The number on the ram are: GEL316gb1600C10DC

So I'm going to have to buy 4 sticks of 8 gb to get to 32 gb at this point?

Yes, I am using all 16gb now and it is slowing down my work flow/production.

Adding more RAM shouldn't be an issue. I've mixed different sticks in the past, and as long as you get ones that were close to each other specification wise, it will probably be ok.

The ram that is in there is no longer sold anywhere that I can find.
The number on the ram are: GEL316gb1600C10DC

So I'm going to have to buy 4 sticks of 8 gb to get to 32 gb at this point?

Yes, I am using all 16gb now and it is slowing down my work flow/production.

Just wanted to make sure you were using it all, a lot of people aren't when they ask about RAM upgrades!

Looks like your current RAM is 1600MHz at 10-10-10-28 1.5V.
Match those specs with the new sticks and you should be good to go.

In the off chance you're not running windows 8 or newer, make sure your os can support more than 16gb of ram

as a rule we don't like to see mixed ram but if those specs match you have a 99.9% chance of it going right in and plug and play.
if you mix some 1600 and 1333 ram the board "MIGHT" make it work, but it might not.

I have some newer RAM in a newer build that I can still find. I will get 2 8gb sticks of that and swap them around so the machine that I need 32gb on will have the newer ram and the newer build will have the older RAM since I don't need more than 16gb on that build. I figure that I will be safe doing it that way.

Back