• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it possible??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alien76

I have Adsl modem and router and two computers pluged into that router. I got another computer but it is in the room with one computer far away from router. This new computer is very old, but good enough to play quake 3 , UT, HL,...
My question is: Is it posible to wire two computers togehter without router??
How would one computer handle two network cards???
Thanks for replies, Alien76!

Yes , you can do it with a crossover cable. Have you thought about getting wireless cards for them and a wireless router. If you watch the sales you can pick up a router and two pci cards for about $30.

no, that would be like trying to assign two computers the same ip address, which must be unique for each system to access your network. how exactly were you planning to do it anyway? i simply bought a 50 ft ethernet cord for my computer that was far away. i ran it under the floor of my house. i lost about 3 db of connection, but with 6 megabits down and 2 up, i haven't noticed. please explain how you were planning to wire them together.

Why not just get a small hub or switch and plug the cable from the router into the uplink port, and the 2 computers into the regular ports? That would be the easiest way.

OK, maybe I misunderstood. Are you trying to connect these two pc's just to each other or both of them to the network (router) ?

Yes you can put two(or more) network cards in the same computer. Each network card will have it's own ip. As hkgonra said, use crossover cable to directly connect the two computers.

If one of them is already conneted to the network I would get a switch. You can get a switch for almost as cheap an another nic.

I dont want the new computer to access the internet, just want to plug these two computers together.

Back