• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is It Too Late To Go Sk939

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sounds like an excellent plan Angelfire!. :thup: You will be very happy with the performance increase you'll get over your Socket A setup.

btw- what cha gonna do with that there NF2 board? Does it do 200+ FSB? :D

Angel,

If you want 939 get it.

I am stil very pleased with my 754. Heck I am going to add some things to my even older 462 machine. They are still reliable machines. As long as I can find parts for them, they are not outdated.

What I think...

Get the 939..My reasoning. It is a long way off to the AM3, so that 939 will hold you over until it is out and you can save money waiting for it. AM2 is like the 754. It is the first of a gen and got passed over fast. Once they make a final adjustments to the generation of chip. then the price goes down.

If my old 754 can hold its own for as long as it has. A new build based on a even better socket can last as long. I would go for the 939. :D
You save a load of cash and play any game out now.

Enablingwolf said:
Angel,

If you want 939 get it.

I am stil very pleased with my 754. Heck I am going to add some things to my even older 462 machine. They are still reliable machines. As long as I can find parts for them, they are not outdated.

What I think...

Get the 939..My reasoning. It is a long way off to the AM3, so that 939 will hold you over until it is out and you can save money waiting for it. AM2 is like the 754. It is the first of a gen and got passed over fast. Once they make a final adjustments to the generation of chip. then the price goes down.

If my old 754 can hold its own for as long as it has. A new build based on a even better socket can last as long. I would go for the 939. :D

My point exactly!

Enablingwolf said:
Angel,

If you want 939 get it.

What I think...

Hits the nail on the head IMO... sums up exactly why I haven't gone AM2 yet. There's no great (if any) performance increase over 939 at all right now... and what we're really waiting for is AM3. But knowing me I'll have a 4x4 rig a couple months after they're available. :rolleyes:

I have a 754 setup, I'll ride this rig into the ground, I've still got the option for Sli and all that.

I think my venice + Epox Nforce4 SLi board ended up costing me about 200 bucks, i'm right around 2.77ghz, I stayed 754 because I really don't care about Dual Core CPUs or Dual Channel Ram. It's really personal prepherance. I figure I got a really good board with SLi capablities with a really good 90nm Chip fairly cheap, and with my 7900GT I dont have any problems with any games ever :)

I'll ride this rig into the ground. But since you're starting new 939 may make more sense, I'd pick up an SLi board just for the option of being able to throw another Video Card in at somepoint. could save you money in the long run.

I thought the newer versions of Ultra-D's cannot be modded to SLI...someone correct me if I'm wrong.

squads said:
I thought the newer versions of Ultra-D's cannot be modded to SLI...someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Refering to the epoxy over the chipset?

IMO you will Love a 939 with a nice vid card. The price on 939 systems are killer right now , with so manny ppl running out and getting a C2D check the classies Im sure you could grab a Nice MB and a Proven overclocking chip, for a very good price. Im even considering getting a new MB for my 939 system because the cpu is plenty fast for me ( right now :) ) I just need PCIE ( and a new card I love my x800 but i know when i get a new LCD for xmas it wont cut the new games @ teh high res) and I could be a happy camper for a long while ( I hope my GF doesnt read this :) )

squads said:
While there was a lot of talk of this, I don't think it ever actually happened, however, I am not certain either.

I dont think its too late to go 939. I just went from a 6700 Conroe back to a single core 939 opteron. Saved a bunch of money, and got my stuff new as well.

Whole setup only cost me half the price of my 6700 chip :D

I've been adding up the prices to the new hardware I wouldn't mind purchasing all these include delivery. If there's 2 pieces of hardware with a price it's basically deciding between the 2.

Motherboard:
Asustek A8N SLI SE £78
DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D £75

CPU:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 939 £175
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 939 £128

Hard Drives:
Main - WD Raptor 74GB 16MB 10k £118
Secondary - WD Caviar 160GB SII 16mb 7,200 RPM £57
Or I could use my 80GB SATA from system below for a back-up for now.

Memory:
Passing Over 1GB Geil DDR Kit From System Below

Graphics:
BFG GeForce 7600 GT OC 256MB GDDR3 £121

Optical:
Benq DVD-RW
Sony 16 DVD-ROM

If I have the ASUS board and a 4200 X2 and everything else price comes to £502 if I add the 4600 instead £549 but take away £57 if I use my 80GB SATA as a back-up instead of 160GB.

If I buy the DFI board and the 4200+ £499 with rest of hardware but if I buy the 4600+ £546 again take away £57 if I use my 80GB instead.

Last edited:
rseven said:
While there was a lot of talk of this, I don't think it ever actually happened, however, I am not certain either.

I have a R.AE1 board on which the chipset visually does not look any different than my R.AD0 board (which is for sure SLI modable). Just the silicon over the contacts (which can be removed) that must be bridged to achieve SLI. However, I have not done the mod on any of my three Ultra-D boards.

Well,up until about 6 months ago I was on Socket A and a 9800 pro still :eek: That system ran anything I put in it just fine IMO. I didn't go the AM2 path. I tried 2 different motherboards. A8N Premium and what I have now A8N32. Me personally I won't upgrade for quite some time now. No matter what comes out. Guess you can decide by what you plan on doing in the future, and what you want to use over again. Or if you opt. for a totally new system when you do a BIG upgrade.

What Precision said...
I have a 9800 pro just setting here doing nadda,
purchased a X800...

Going from Sck A too 939....
yet still running my old junk with it..
I'm waiting for AM2 too mature save my dollars in between.. And, yes that, too play catch-up again....
I wanna a quad core/Sli/2 vid cards/4 gigs/2 500 gigs Hd's in raid...
I keep dreaming ya know?

I'm going for the Asustek A8N SLI SE I've seen it even cheaper than £78 overclockers have it clearance for £65. I'm buying that and I've seen a X2 3800+ 2.0ghz for £100.

I'm sending off for them 2 on sunday to put a side I think the upgrade to 939 dual core would be even better. I'll be able to play and games and do other things knowning I have a spare core on hand.

Question: Which would be better the A8N-SLI or the A8N-SLI SE board?

Last edited:
I am still a big fan of S939 as you can get a heap of performance these days at budget prices. Will a S939 beat a Conroe rig in benchmarks? We all know the answer to that question would be a resounding "NO", but does that mean that S939 is dead? Certainly not in my mind.

Running either a single core or a dual core S939 you will be able to do just about anything you need...wait, scratch the "just about" as you can do anything you need to do...period! It may take a few seconds longer in some cases, but then that gives you enough time to blink your eyes on occassions.

I personally have loved these AMD price cuts and have taken full advantage of them.

From an overclocker's view point I still like the fact that you can change the multipliers, as well as the memory dividers, to get the best performance from your combination of parts. I think that is really the biggest draw for me and why I'm still a big S939 (and XP) fan.

With respect to the questions about the running an Ultra-D in SLI mode...the newer boards from DFI can still be modded.

The newer boards have that bit of epoxy over the contacts, as has already been mentioned. It can be scraped away and modded just like the ones without the covering over the contacts...that is the only difference.

Here is a link with some info on this topic...

From one of the threads here started by fellow member, THunDA:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=3718640#post3718640

From DFI-Streets:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.php?p=448102&postcount=591
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10736&page=35

Here is another "How-to-mod" guide:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/dfi-nf4-ultrad-to-slid-mod.php

Just to add to what Master Reefa said, I'd pick the more robust Expert version of the board over the Ultra-D if they are closesly priced. ;)

KillrBuckeye said:
Game developers simply don't create software that can only run with the latest hardware. They program in some flexibility, i.e. a range of resolution and quality settings that work well with a wide range of hardware configurations. How else can you explain the fact that there are people running some of the latest releases with video cards that were introduced almost 3 years ago?

True as long as you recognize and understand the game you play and see on 3 year old hardware will not be the same game someone with a brand new rig will see and play. There is no denying the advances in hardware.

I agree, I think 939 is still one of the best platforms to upgade to. The ultra-D is one of my favorite motherboards. Got mine just as the first SLI boards dropped and modded it to SLI for $160.00 when SLI boards where running close to $300.00. Even managed to get a DFI SLI bridge for it at that time. The board was a great way to learn to OC even though the memory timing section of the bios scared the crap out of me at the time. Had a gig of G-Skill le that I never found the limit on 320+ stable as a rock. Processor would crap out at 280.... I think you will pleased with a 939 rig. Have fun!

Well the DFI Ultra D board on overclockers.co.uk says it comes with the SLI bridge connector so the board must be able to be modded. When it does get modded does it mean that SLi with use both slots as 16x or 8x.

Back