• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lpdominic

Hi just wondering what you all think of this desktop I found on gumtree, and is it worth the money???
Also will it be able to play new games at a decent rate?
How future proof is it?

Here's the specs: (he's askin £700)

Intel i5 6400 Skylake closed loop liquid cooled.

8gb DDR4 2400mhz.

MSI 970 4gb Graphics card

120gb ssd.

2tb Storage drive.

MSI Krait Edition USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard.

bronze 80+ 550w psu.

All wrapped up in a corsair c70 arm case.

Thanks in advance guys

Its a solid 1080p gaming machine. No overclocking because it is not a "K" chip.

What brand/model PSU is that?
What brand/model SSD?

Hi earthdog thanks for getting back to me mate. Just asked the fella and apparently it's a Coolermaster psu and Samsung ssd. Don't know if that's good or bad to be honest. Do you think 700 is reasonable? Or should I try get him down ?

Samsung................840 Evo? Pro? 850 Evo? Pro?

Its an OK deal... talk him down though. The price is not much cheaper than new.

What cooler?
What 2TB drive?
What model of PSU? Some CoolerMaster PSU's aren't good.
Is the RAM 1x8GB or 2x4GB?

okay this is what he text me:

1 stick of 8gb so I could upgrade as I went. Cooler master gx550w whole system under load only uses 330w and the cooler is a h80i AV temp 25-27 going by msi command centre about 40-60 in game

Again, that doesn't mean a lot to me haha. I need to learn what's good and what's not.
Also, I see he's been trying to sell for a few weeks so would deffo go down on price!

You'll want two sticks of RAM for optimal performance.
I would plan to do that ASAP, but know you'll want to get the exact same stick. We can help you with that.

The Cooler Master GX 550W is decent, it'll be fine for your uses.

The H80i is plenty of cooler for that CPU, it should stay fairly quiet since you can't overclock.

See what you can talk him down to, but it sounds like a good system.

You'll want two sticks of RAM for optimal performance.
I would plan to do that ASAP, but know you'll want to get the exact same stick. We can help you with that.

The Cooler Master GX 550W is decent, it'll be fine for your uses.

The H80i is plenty of cooler for that CPU, it should stay fairly quiet since you can't overclock.

See what you can talk him down to, but it sounds like a good system.

Okay thanks a lot for the help!
Should be going to see it tomorrow, will let everyone know how it goes!!

PSU is too high of a quality on that list for sure.
Probably more like £750 if you buy it all new, so definitely try to talk him down.
Yeah I just picked one of the lesser expensive ones, I couldn't find any CM 550w units.

Back