• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrading to 2066 worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundhunter

Registered
hello all
My motherboard recently died
So I need to quickly build a rig with what remains.

and the remains are:
case corsair graphite 600t
power supply: chieftec 1200
graphics card: gtx 980 ti
3 hdd + 2 ssd

I need:
motherboard: ASUS TUF X299 MARK 1 / ASUS ROG STRIX X299-XE GAMING / ASUS WS X299 PRO RTL (more likely asus tuf)
cpu: Intel Core i5 - 7640X / Intel Core i7 - 7740X (more likely i5 and maybe something better later)
ram: 8Gb DDR4 2400MHz Kingston HyperX(just one for now and more later)

I'd like to know your opinion on hardware I chose.
also is lga 2066 worth it in my case?

If you want 4 cores then get Z370 as X299 will have limited functionality with KabyLake-X processors. There will be less PCIE lanes available, less memory slots and depends on the motherboard some other things may not work with KL-X. X299 is good idea if you want 6 cores+ ( and best if 8c+ ).

What is use case and expectation? If going X299, get at least 7800X to enable more PCIe lanes, quad channel ram and AVX-512, and you still have upgrade path to much higher core counts later on. If you don't expect to go beyond 6 cores, Z370+8700k is probably better choice in short term.

Tough to determine if its worth it for someone else... we arent buying it. In this case you dont even mention how you use the pc so we cant even throw our 2c much more than what these two did above. :)

Thanks for the answer guys)

What is use case and expectation?

2d/3d graphics and gaming
the upgrade path is important

I guess ASUS TUF X299 MARK 1 + Intel Core i7 - 7800X then
I thought about ASUS ROG STRIX X299-XE GAMING but I guess TUF will do as good.
also is my chieftec 1200 suitable? It's pretty old(about 4 years) tho there weren't any problems. Just a bit paranoid)

The wattage isn't what I would worry about. Its the garbage that Chieftec is where I would be concerned. They are more prone to catch fire and take out systems than to power them reliably.

Anyway, with the added information, I would surely say go X299 and 7800X. Upgrade to something bigger down the road, perhaps.

I guess ASUS TUF X299 MARK 1 + Intel Core i7 - 7800X then
I thought about ASUS ROG STRIX X299-XE GAMING but I guess TUF will do as good.

TUF and Strix share the same PCB, there are small differences but you won't see them. I had TUF Mk.2 and it was really good. Actually if you want to drop price some more then Mk.2 is about the same as Mk.1. Both TUF have also 5 year warranty while Strix has 3.

Did you do a fresh install of your OS or just plug the C:\ drive in and fire it up? Other than that, maybe a slightly less than stable OC the board is struggling with at boot.

Reinstalled windows and also tried to disconnect all peripheral and hdd/ssd discs(exept system).
Nothing. The boot is as slow as it was.

done
the shutdown time is now 15s(was 45)
starting is 53(was 75)
Also, sometimes, when the fast boot is disabled, windows doesn't react to anything for like 5-7 minutes after the start

Last edited:
Back