• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it worth Overclocking a AMD phenom ii x4 955 3,5ghz?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
P95 Blend mode which I think everyone of us uses is a far more robust test than AOD test. That means if they all feel you are already too hot with that AOD clock you have, then you are certainly too hot to run P95 Blend as a stress marker. What really is showing to us, is the AOD is fooling you into thinking your speeds might be workable.

If you want to use AOD, then do it. Just we cannot help with that software clocker when you are aleady beyond the temps that have been known to be unstable. The testing and using of course are up to you.
RGone...

I am doing a Blend mode right now with the 120mm fan in the top on medium speed. max temp this far (test 11 now ) is 49C and i run on 19x at 4118mhz and 1,44volt

The AMD overide did not save the overclock settings and i gues thats why you guys want me to lern the BIOS so the work will be for real! And i will give it a try with a good guide :D

buddy, 3.8 is an awesome sweet spot for the 955, just clock i'd down a bit to 3.8 and not worry about the psu it's plenty for the time.

Agreed 100%.
3.8 to 4 is what you are aiming to.
550W is more than you need: I used to run a GTX580 with a 20% OC (+/-300w) and a [email protected]/1.55v (+/- 180W) on a 530w BeQuiet.

Edit: if you're talking about P95 Blend, it's a golden chip you have if it sustains 2hrs test with such a low voltage! Congrats!

Agreed 100%.
3.8 to 4 is what you are aiming to.
550W is more than you need: I used to run a GTX580 with a 20% OC (+/-300w) and a [email protected]/1.55v (+/- 180W) on a 530w BeQuiet.

Edit: if you're talking about P95 Blend, it's a golden chip you have if it sustains 2hrs test with such a low voltage! Congrats!

Now i have done the blend test with 0 warnings and 0 errors for 30min. And a idle run temp on about 47c and a max temp on 49c for 30min test!

you are speaking about 3.8 and 4.0 the target speed in my is 3.8 but "current speed is on 4118mhz, wich one is it you guys speaking about?

I think with the fan in the top i can bump up to 20x multiper now and stay under 55c?

Next problem is the BIOS settings for me because now i just running AMD overdrive and it dosnt save the settings ;/

EDIT: Bumped it up to 20x multi and then it crashed so i think i will stay with the 19x

AOD stab test crashed the comp and PRIME 95 gave up an fatal error and stopped so i think that 19x is my stop

Last edited:
That's still a good OC for the Phenom, you just need to make it work with bios setting instead.

AMD Overdrive can be valuable in "roughing out" an overclock but it can also be buggy and inaccurate. There are some things it will not allow you to adjust as well, like the DDR frequency, that you can only adjust in bios.

sloth,

How about doing this test for a baseline:

1. Open HWMonitor and leave it open on the desktop. Make sure you can see the "Package" temp line. If not, adjust the frame of the program interface.
2. Run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes.
3. With Snipping Tool (Windows Accessories) capture and save a pic of HWMonitor immediately after the P95 stress test so we can view max temps and voltages reached during the stress test. We don't want or need to see your whole desktop in the pic so please frame and crop the pic. To attach a pic with our post: 1. Click on "Go Advanced" at the bottom of any new post window. 2. When the advanced post window appears, click on the little paperclip tool at the top. This will pull up the file browser and upload tool and the rest will be obvious.

I see in your picture there that you are hitting 59°C on some of your CPU cores. This is much too hot to maintain stability of your PC. You need to get the temperatures down to safer levels, below 55°C if possible (that is where instability normally starts), and preferably below 50°C (this is preferred temperature to stay below with Phenom II Deneb-based CPU's).

You may need to decrease your overclock to get temperatures down, or perhaps better cooling will be necessary to get your load temperatures down (better CPU cooler, or better fans, possibly both).

Others may feel free to chime in on this as well, as there no doubt will be several people to tell you similar things.

Now i have done a folder with some pictures in my photobucket. My pictures where to big to upload here. To good camera in the phone....

http://s200.photobucket.com/user/bob_builder_lkpg/library/computer stuff

Password is sloth2014 to se The pictures in that folder.

Hope it can be to some help

Now its of to bed. Work 7.00

The photobucket page is password protected and I don't have an account. We would much prefer for you to downsize the pics and attach them directly. Lot's of free software out there for downsizing/resampling pics. A good one is Irfanview.

The photobucket page is password protected and I don't have an account. We would much prefer for you to downsize the pics and attach them directly. Lot's of free software out there for downsizing/resampling pics. A good one is Irfanview.

Thats why i put the Password out. But i will fix when i finish work.

Sorry, missed the password when I read the post. But the point is you need to be willing to make it as easy as possible for those trying to help you. If we have to flip back and forth between tabs that is more hassle than a quick glance at the post itself if the pics are directly attached. Please keep that in mind. It's easy to resample a pic with Irfanview so it will attach with the forum tool. In Irfanview, go to the "Image" tab and choose "resample" from the drop down menu. 640x480 pixels is about right.

Yep, your core temps are high. What is your room temp, by the way? Your idle temps seem a little on the high side in bios (40c) is the reason I'm asking. Also could you repeat that stress test and before you begin make sure the fan speed line on HWMonitor is expanded so we can see how fast the fan is turning. High temps could result from the fan not reving up under load. In bios the fan speed shows 1000 rpm but that is not under load.

Okay, now attach pics of these three CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD".

I will fix to night after work. Just started new work so ive been like a zombie after work :)

I am very thankfull for all help.

And so you guys now. The only ting i do is gamling a little bit but i just want to learn about This :)

Here i have a pic of todays 20min prime95 blend mode

I down the clock to 18.5x and it is maybe 5 degrees colder in the room

Attachments

• sloth.jpg
    sloth.jpg
    478.3 KB · Views: 211
Your CPU fan is only maxing out at 1094 rpm. check your fan speed settings in bios. You might benefit from something more aggressive.

Last edited:
Your CPU fan is only maxing out at 1094 rpm. check your fan speed settings in bios. You might benefit from something more aggressive.

Hmm okey. How much should i put it up to? I will try to night or tomorrow

Hmm okey. How much should i put it up to? I will try to night or tomorrow

Hard to say. I think the fan on that cooler has a top rpm of 2000. Those fan speed profile adjustments can be very tricky, especially if you care about noise. if you don't care about noise then disable the fan speed automatic control and just let it run full bore all the time. Personally, I find fan noise start's to become noticeable around 1500 rpm on a lot of 120mm fans but then I have some hearing loss.

Hard to say. I think the fan on that cooler has a top rpm of 2000. Those fan speed profile adjustments can be very tricky, especially if you care about noise. if you don't care about noise then disable the fan speed automatic control and just let it run full bore all the time. Personally, I find fan noise start's to become noticeable around 1500 rpm on a lot of 120mm fans but then I have some hearing loss.

I cant find were to up the cpu fan only were to change profile on it. I put on turbo instead of standard.

And Then i See that the buz freq standing on 216? Is it not better to go for 203 and 20x? Or is it same same?

/sloth

The speed of the CPU will be the product of the ratio and the bus speed. For instance, you can achieve a CPU speed of 4.0 ghz with the bus speed at the stock 200 mhz while putting the ratio at 20x. Or, you could increase the bus speed to 226 mhz and set the ratio to 17.5x. Bot ways give a processor speed of approximately 4.0 ghz.

200x20=4000.

226x17.5=4000 also.

Using just the ratio is easier but using a combination of ratio and bus speed gives a better overclock. However, when raising the bus speed keep in mind that at the same time the memory frequency, the HT Link frequency and the CPU/NB frequency will also increase because they are tuned to the bus frequency. These other frequencies need to be manually adjusted downward at certain points or else they will create instability.

Last edited:
Okey. But right now i go on 216 and 18.5x and gets 4009mhz stable.

No cores gets a temp over 55 in the prime95 blend test.

Should i leave it like This or should i go to bios and change to 216 18.5x instead of leaving the AOC on start when boot?

Cpu max temp after change to turbo is 48 and core never up more then 54.8

Back