• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it worth the upgrade to win7 from vista?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chrome-187

so, Is it really worth the upgrade from windows vista ultimate to windows 7 pro? Is it really worth reinstalling all your games, apps, etc.? Is win7 really any better? Or should I wait. I already own win7 pro, i just have not yet installed it cuz i hate reinstalling everything =/.

There is actually an article with the higher-ups on this exact subject pending publication. In the author's opinion, no. There are lots of people on both sides of the coin, but you'll see his reasoning (hopefully) soon!

It's not published yet. Will post it when it becomes public. I've edited it and submitted it to the big guns. Unk publishing time.

If you already own Win7 I don't really see a reason not to install it. I mean you could debate whether or not its worth paying for an upgrade from Vista to 7 (personally I did), but if you already have Win7 in hand...

yea i already have it....i installed it on my 2 laptops that were running xp...its working ok on one and the other one i can't find any drivers for the nvidia go5200 so it kinda sux on that one..

im just really debating if i should install it on my gaming vista rigs or not. what exactly is going to improve over my vista sp2 going to win7?

I would say it isn't worth it unless you get it severely discounted/free. Maybe if you had an SSD w/trim it would be worth it though.

IMO, it is not worth going from Vista to Win7. Particularly in this case because you'd be going from the Ultimate level down to the Pro level. I personally view the Ultimate editions as overpriced (much more expensive for very little value) but since you already have Vista Ultimate then you are better off sticking with it. Going to Win 7 Pro might yield a tiny bit of a performance improvement, but the tradeoff is lost features. Your choice, but I wouldn't do it.

Depends on the machine. For a GP light gaming rig, I would say stick with Vista 64 (32 bit I was never fond off for some reason it is not as stable for me).

There are no new "must have" features in 7, but it is nice to have the latest thing :)

I run V64 on my main rig and XP/7 on my i7 setup. If I turned that i7 on more than once a week, I would probably install Vista on it too LOL

on my gaming machines im currently running vista 32bit...i didnt like that i could not do a boot time virus scan with 64bit...and from talkin with customer support reps of anti virus companies is that 64bit will never have a boot time virus scan..that is why i went back to 32 bit from 64bit...

but thats besides the point...has anyone here went from vista to win7 and see any vast improvements? i dunno why there even is a win7. couldnt microsoft have made all the feature difference between the two in like a service pack for vista or somethin?

I went from Vista 64bit home premium to Win7 Pro 64bit and I am absolutely glad I did. Have not had a single crash yet, whereas in Vista I would every few days or so. I even INCREASED my overclock in Win7 and have stability.

I also installed 2 new hard drives, one being an intel x25 80GB, so that might be hurting my opinion on how great Win7 feels too. :p I only paid $30 also, through the college discount.

Last edited:
Back