• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it wrong for me to be buying an ipad 2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheQuadFather

they just seem so hated and i want to know why, if your argument is a that they have a high price premium or similar im willing to pay ***as i do love my apple products***, excluding macs of course, i know it doesn't play flash etc blah blah blah, but i already have a ipod touch which i am very fond of but cant help thinking id enjoy the ipad just as much if not more because of its larger screen size, i was thinking of it over a laptop/portable pc as i am going away on a yacht alot more recently, which doesn't have a strong power system, and also the way the cabins are having it propped to have a fan vent clear isnt easy either.

***-*** = ill be hard to be convinced to by a alternative tablet as i love iOs's also.

could you guys think of any reasons why i shouldn't get the iPad?

Because
  • it's a waste of money
  • Apple is a horrible company operated by the most evil marketing department ever
  • Apple will release an iPad 3 with one more obvious feature that is standard in every other device that should have been in the first model

Nine years ago my little handheld Dell Axim could multitask. GEOS for Commodore 64 had basic multitasking back in 1986. Now, over 20 years later, in the late first decade of the 2000's, Apple still hasn't figured it out? Sure, Apple has nice second-/third-gen products, but the fact that they purposefully leave out basic standard features just to sell the next version (and that so many people buy every revision, while never complaining about the blatant lack of that obvious basic feature in the first version) is extremely aggravating.

Have fun with your spare cash and yacht, though. :)

i wish it was my yacht, technically it belongs to my in laws, but hey ho i love it just the same, and well none of the other tablets seem to grab my attention as much as the iPad, i know Steve Jobbs is evil hence why i shall be getting ironic Steve hate engraved on the back, i just like the idea of having another Apple product, because ever since two of their ipods actually burnt me they have been very nice and respecting to me, i even got a email written by a person once not by a machine!

also, i enjoy many of the itunes only apps, and as i grow older i find myself wanting to read books, and i find the ibooks/magazine subscriptions very easy to use, so really look at it this way, im tired of learning new features, and just want something i can already use ;)

Last edited:
Its a pretty nice toy. ipad2's can be jailbrokein now, so that definately sweetins the pot ;) I dont have one, I have an ipod touch, and I use it everyday. When I get home my gf uses it for her games and stuff that she likes to play. If I had the cash I would get one. They are good for the couch.

I'd go with the ASUS Transformer TF-01, personally, because I love the Android OS and I love how it works in general. Not to mention the massive price point difference between it and the IPad.

Go ahead and buy it, and once you realize that it's the same thing as your iPod touch, but with a bigger screen try and return it. Anyways it's probably better that you asked here first because the Apple store uses terms like "it talks to your printer so that you don't have to waste time finding the right drivers"... "talks"! They know who they're talking to, people who aren't computer savvy, that's who buys from apple, and that's what both the product AND the pricepoint for the product are based off of.. hence the lack of general features that should have been there since the beginning and the $500-$800 pricetag. xD

yeah i never go to the store, apart from to make them sweat when i told then 2 of their ipods physically hurt me and showed them how, then they kind of were kissing my ***, but the amount of money i have invested in apps/movies/music etc, i must have over 300 pounds worth of stuff on there and would like a tablet that could utilize most of that also, i was planning on the 3G model so it would connect to the internet out of the house which the ipod cannot, also same thing as my ipod touch but with a bigger screen- that is what i want really, the ipod is to small and fiddly for my over sized rugby players frame and due to vision issues sometimes the screen is to small to do things correctly.

Recently, I saw a little tidbit from one of the Crapple conferences where Steve gets up on stage and talks about the latest exact same product in a slightly different package now with 2 cameras for twice as much.

He goes "Now, you can use your ipad on your HDTV with our HDMI adapter. It plugs into your ipad's connector and the other end plugs into a standard HDMI cable. Isn't that great? And it's only thirty dollars"

(Finally! I can hook my ipad up to my TV to do this
on a nice 50" screen.)

And people applauded.
Knowing what PC3-12800 means and buying Apple are not compatible.

You do realize what's IN an ipad, right?
It's a lot of money for what is essentially a cashew wrapped in copper wire, a battery, and an antenna.

Last edited:
Samsung's Galaxy 10.1 has amazingly better (relative to Apple) hardware features for the same price... I've not used Android at all on any device, and only used iOS (whatever version was on an original iPad last November) for 5 minutes, so my OS preference is based only on the fact that Android is open source. It's also nice that Google lets anybody develop for their platform, where Apple makes every effort to prevent anybody who doesn't have a Mac from writing "Apps".

Ahh.. well Ive never owned a cell phone, ever. So I am definately not tech savy in that dept like some other die hards out there. I just got an ipod a couple months ago, got it used for a fair price. jailbroke it and thought it was awsome lol. I have a china tablet, its ok. its android. its not a dualcore or anything crazy. Its a bit crappy. <---- No Angry Birds for that machine. I would not buy an ipad new.. They are expensive, they are heavy.. and I have my pc at the couch, wich is alot stronger then any tablet out there, and probably a few other things too ;)

So.. I like my ipod. Its pretty cool for a walkman :attn:

If it is so bad.....why has everyone else not surpassed it? They haven't. By the time they do, the iPad3 will be out. Android devices haven't, but they're close. I feel they're also geared towards more techy people.

For the record, I've 3 iPad2s, a Xoom, Tab and Playbook at work and have used them all here and there. If you're someone that's done more than speculate off what you read on the internet and have handled multiple tablets (5min at Best Buy doesn't count.)

The 3G version will require you adding a cellular plan for it which would add a monthly cost.

How about this for a reason:
Suicides
Explosions

If you don't have a problem with a company the size of Apple exploiting underpaid overworked third world workers, then by all means go get one.

On the other hand, are there any companies left that don't?

I do have an iPad(1) from work and a hacked Android eReader that I turned into a tablet.

If you really need a tablet (rather than just want one), I would go with the iPad. I hate Apple products, but the Android tablets I've had so far might have better technical specs in some regards, they are not quite where the iPad is yet. I have played with other Android tablets besides the one I hacked.

If you just want one, think about the concept of saving money instead. A few hundred pounds might come in handy in the future.

Last edited:
iOS's multitasking is... Well it isn't multitasking at all. The Playbook is a webOS copycat wannabe and Android still isn't ready for tablet primetime yet. The TouchPad imo, is the best but the lack of apps kills it.

And I own the first Ipad and can say that while it is nice, the lack of multitasking is a killer, and the fact that Apple treats their users like we are 7 years old. If the TouchPad could have half the apps of iOS, it would be a contender.

Anyway... Get it if you want, but I see it as a joke, "we made it millimeters thinner and added a camera! Magical! Revolutionary! This changes everything again, again!"

I only really use mine as a browser, and even there it needs work.

The 3G version will require you adding a cellular plan for it which would add a monthly cost.

How about this for a reason:
Suicides
Explosions

If you don't have a problem with a company the size of Apple exploiting underpaid overworked third world workers, then by all means go get one.

On the other hand, are there any companies left that don't?

I do have an iPad(1) from work and a hacked Android eReader that I turned into a tablet.

If you really need a tablet (rather than just want one), I would go with the iPad. I hate Apple products, but the Android tablets I've had so far might have better technical specs in some regards, they are not quite where the iPad is yet. I have played with other Android tablets besides the one I hacked.

If you just want one, think about the concept of saving money instead. A few hundred pounds might come in handy in the future.

Is this a bad time to tell you that Foxconn probably made the PCB for your motherboard and your video card?

Apple treats their users like we are 7 years old.

If you realize that, you're too intelligent to own their products.

regarding the extra per month for a 3G, i was going to go for a O2 solution (UK) because they only charge you for the months you want, i.e i dont need it while im at home but when i go away for a couple of weeks i would pay for it, the hate against the iPad is strong but as ive already mentioned a couple of times i have to much invested in iTunes to start a new os all over again, i dont mind the fact its overpriced as many of my friends work in tech shops that stock them and get a chunk 25% discount (currys), the thing about foxconn, that happens all over the factory with all their products so its not the evilness of the iPad causing them to jump and yeah i know Steve-o is a douche but ive got to the stage where i dont care for the next gen, im happy with the gen ive got, and the ipad 2 does everything i could want so why would i want the ipad3?

Is this a bad time to tell you that Foxconn probably made the PCB for your motherboard and your video card?

No, in fact my next statement in that post was who doesn't have that problem any more. OP was asking for reasons he shouldn't. I was just providing some reasons, not making a political statement. If I were, I would not run a Windows or Apple machine (of which I have both). M$ doesn't have the same labor issues, but they certainly have that whole evil thing going for them.

On the other hand, neither my motherboard nor its PCB was made by Foxconn. The video is embedded, so it wasn't made there either (gasp, embedded video on the OC board, I must be a heretic). They were made by a completely different southeast Asian company that exploits cheap labor.

If it is so bad.....why has everyone else not surpassed it?

They have. There are much more powerful devices for the same money. The thing is, that isn't what sells. These things sell because they are cool, which convinces people that they are actually powerful devices, which sells more, and it snowballs. Competitors have devices which are more fully featured, versatile, powerful, cheaper. They just have no market penetration and people often aren't aware that they even exist. :-/
My friend has an Ultraportable HP laptop with a touch screen which is reversible to tablet mode. It runs portal 2 smoothly. Not much bulkier than an ipad. I just don't see the point of the product. We can even hook it up to an HDTV without needing a $30 adapter...
He's also likely going to read this thread.

Chris your iPad is awesome dude I'm just talking about this person's iPad.

They have. There are much more powerful devices for the same money. The thing is, that isn't what sells. These things sell because they are cool, which convinces people that they are actually powerful devices, which sells more, and it snowballs. Competitors have devices which are more fully featured, versatile, powerful, cheaper. They just have no market penetration and people often aren't aware that they even exist. :-/
My friend has an Ultraportable HP laptop with a touch screen which is reversible to tablet mode. It runs portal 2 smoothly. Not much bulkier than an ipad. I just don't see the point of the product. We can even hook it up to an HDTV without needing a $30 adapter...
He's also likely going to read this thread.

Chris your iPad is awesome dude I'm just talking about this person's iPad.

Much more powerful in terms of what? Raw power? Not really. Everyone is sporting some sort of dual core 1ghz cpus setup.

Also, I've an HP Elitebook 2740p convertible. It weights significantly more than any "slate" tablet (3.97lbs vs ipad2s 1.33). As for bulkiness, I can take a picture of the two if you want even more. ;) This also happens to be the only series of convertibles HP makes. Even the new 2760p is largely unchanged. It still only has a VGA output and Intel 3000 graphics. Did I also mention they start at $1500?

Perhaps you are a little mistaken? Unless you/he shares a model number....I find that story hard to believe. :)

Last edited:
Back