• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my CPU a problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wafflebutt

Registered
I really don't know if it's the GPU or the actual CPU, so I'll just post this here for now.

I usually play modern games on medium, games like Far Cry 3 on medium and Max Payne 3 on high (only to find fps drops in some large areas, like the swamp) Chivalry Medieval Warfare runs pretty smooth on high, that is of course when theres 20 players on a server. I may have to turn down the graphics if there are 50 players total in one server.

I notice when theres a drop, the animations in the game itself isn't actually "slow" but my screen and mouse feels all weird. Anyways, here's my specs:

CPU: AMD FX-4100 Quad 3.6Ghz
PSU: Silver Power SS500 500w
Motherboard: Asus M6A78L - M LX V2 socket AM3+
Ram: DDR3 133Mhz 4GB
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD6870 1GB DDR5
SSD: Samsung SSD 830 series 128GB
HDD: WD Caviar blue 500GB

I think the problem is the CPU, maybe I should get a Phenom ll x4/x6? If so, can you guys give me some tips? I've been thinking of Phenom ll x6 1090T, maybe too much? The main reason I think that is because I tried Serious Sam 3 with all settings high, the fps went somewhere between 40-70 overall. When I set CPU memory to medium and GPU memory to medium, leaving only GPU performance on high, I may gain around 10-20+ fps. But this drops down quickly when I enter large areas.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I will check the thread in the morning. Thanks in advance!

Thank you!

Oh and I didn't check them. However, I did order another 4GB DDR3 ram. Hopefully they will come in about 4-10 days.

Any suggestion about what part I should upgrade in order to play some games at ultra/high?

Keeping in mind that I'm not trying to be harsh here(it may sound that way)...

Motherboard: 95W CPU support only, most see it throttling CPUs at around 110W to prevent itself from being damaged. This means you can have all sorts of issues if you upgrade to a better processor or overclock the current one.

Processor: There are a lot of games where an FX-4100 will be lacking, even if you were to OC it beyond what that motherboard could handle there are a lot of games where it has the potential to be a setback.

Graphics card: There are quite a few better cards to be had now but you likely already have a moderate CPU bottleneck in many games so there will be times when a better graphics card will net you 0 FPS(there will also be games where you gain in FPS and/or the ability to use higher visual settings).

Moving beyond the hardware points, here are some advantages and disadvantages. You could leave the board and move on to an FX-6300, this will net you better performance in things like BF3 which will use many cores well, however in poorly made/dx9 games/console ports(CPU heavy but not using many cores) your gains may be minimal. What I mean is that if the 4100 is limiting you to 30fps in one of these games then adding 15% may not be what you are looking for.

Getting a better motherboard(and heatsink if you need one) so that you can overclock the 4100 could also net you a nice gain in performance across the board, but the games I previously mentioned will always be bad on any AMD processor to date so once again 15 to 30% increases when you are getting 30FPS may not be what you want.

Edit: So, what do you need to upgrade if you want to play on Ultra? Every part of that computer depending on the game. Sometimes the 4100 won't cut it from lacking the raw power, sometimes any AMD processor won't cut it because they are a bit lacking in performance per core, you could try to mitigate both of these issues with a better AMD processor and overclocking but your motherboard won't work well for that and even if you get past any noticeable CPU bottleneck your 6870 doesn't have what it takes to max out many current titles at 1920x1080, or even 1680x1050.

Last edited:
I have been looking for the thead we had in here about three months ago that was oh so similar to what "Wafflebutt" is asking about. So far it is slipping past my searches and may continue to do so. In the end if memory is not a total klutz, I think what that user did was pretty simllar to what "Hicksimus" is saying about the motherboard and cpu.
Hicksimus said:
Edit: So, what do you need to upgrade if you want to play on Ultra? Every part of that computer depending on the game. Sometimes the 4100 won't cut it from lacking the raw power, sometimes any AMD processor won't cut it because they are a bit lacking in performance per core, you could try to mitigate both of these issues with a better AMD processor and overclocking but your motherboard won't work well for that and even if you get past any noticeable CPU bottleneck your 6870 doesn't have what it takes to max out many current titles at 1920x1080, or even 1680x1050.
I think the user in the thread I refer to, had to finally upgrade both the motherboard and cpu and in the end had to upgrade power supply to carry the load of his FX-6100 running at 4.5Ghz.

With "Wafflebutt" already ordering more ram and then the other changes he may well need to run games with more FPS, heck he is looking at a new rig altogether and that is n0t an upgrade. Might as well ask for opinions on building a new rig for a total of "X" monies.

I'm thinking of replacing my FX-4100 to a FX 8350 and my 6870 to 7950, will that be an ok-upgrade?

Moving to FX-8350 on current board is most likely a complete waste of money and time.

Am not a video card guru, so I have no guess about upgrading video card.

Here is the problem I see after almost 2 years of watcing AMD gaming users. At the outset at least a year ago they could have bought a 2500k or simllar and clocked it to 4.5Ghz and the board and cpu would not be a stumbling block today and likely accept and give increased performance with an uupgrade to a later video card. Now that is the bitter pill to swallow. I seldom say that even if in my mind since it is not a fanboy thing just a statement of what seem pretty solid sets of fact.

But the OP did not do such purchasing. He is now stuck with a way under-performing motherboard and a weak FX-4100 and asking about the FX-8350. I very well like my FX-8350 but believe it likely overkill for someone just gaming. In "my" opinion I would not even upgrade to the newer and better FX-6300 with less than an Asus 990FX EVO class mobo to stand-up to a 24/7 clock of an FX-6300 to about 4.5Ghz. That means more cooling likely and probably a better thought of power supply. So again we are not just upgrading, but almost building a new rig. Most of this situation is a result of buying cheap at the beginning and now not getting the performance needed in todays games. Still a bitter pill to swallow. RGone...

FYI I got this computer as a birthday present from one of my friends a few months ago. So I never spend a dime on it

If you're looking for bang for the buck the easiest way to go is.

FX-6300(to the best of my knowledge the only game that benefits from the 8 core is BF3 and I'm not sure you'd notice a difference with 1 7950)
$130(or under during sales) board that appeals to you (Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3, Etc.)
8Gb of RAM
Possibly a power supply, your current one would appear to have 2x17A rails(408 watts) It should be sufficient for a stock clock 7950 and mildly OC'd 6300. Bitcoin with a 7950 is ~190w @stock speed and it's not too hard to get an FX up over 200w draw. (It really depends on how the 2 rails are used as well I'd assume)

Alternatively if you're looking for a more uniform gaming experience....
2500k/3570k
$130 board that appeals to you
7950 or lesser card if you want to come in around the same cost
8Gb of RAM
Your power supply will be sufficient

The reason I point out these 2 ways is because if you're at a major purchase and you just want every game available to run well then the Intel processors offer similar cumulative performance BUT excel when something demanding would like 4 cores or less to be used while the same isn't true for anything AMD.

You can make up the cost difference in the graphics card AND yes you will lose FPS in some games. But you stand to gain 2 things. The first is that a 7870 Intel build comes in near the same cost and will in no way come close to causing PSU issues(making it much cheaper). The second point is that it will provide better performance over a wide range of games. Not every game is built like BF3....most certainly are not and the Intel is ahead by miles in those. So it's cheaper AND it offers a more uniform experience.

And that's just assuming you wouldn't spend your PSU savings on getting a 7950 anyway.

The second alternative seems very similiary to the one my friend sent me via Facebook;

CPU: Intel® Core i5-3570K
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO, Socket-1155

It costs around 800$ alltogether, better start saving up

A total rebuild maybe?

Just to add a little foot note to this here debate when i see someone asking about AMD Mobo's that's why i bang the drum. For higher grade kit such as your UD5, UD7, and like time again i get told its not justified and where is the evidence for this. Its high time someone took some notice as to what's happening and take this thread as the evidence! AJ. ;) :(

P.S. Its over priced not necessary at all he needs this cheapo AMD board! :shrug:

Edit because I got super ninja'd.

Yeah, That'd be my suggestion. Save up and just sell the board/chip you have now, buy a 2500k (used) or 3570k (new) combo. Then later on you could sell the 6870 and get a 680 or 7970. Then IMO you'd be set for a couple of years or more.

Last edited:
Just to add a little foot note to this here debate when i see someone asking about AMD Mobo's that's why i bang the drum. For higher grade kit such as your UD5, UD7, and like time again i get told its not justified and where is the evidence for this. Its high time someone took some notice as to what's happening and take this thread as the evidence! AJ. ;) :(

P.S. Its over priced not necessary at all he needs this cheapo AMD board! :shrug:

I'm not 100% sure I see what you are trying to say.

Is it that you don't like my ~$130 board recommendation and think I should recommend something a bit better?

Edit because I got super ninja'd.

Yeah, That'd be my suggestion. Save up and just sell the board/chip you have now, buy a 2500k (used) or 3570k (new) combo. Then later on you could sell the 6870 and get a 680 or 7970. Then IMO you'd be set for a couple of years or more.

Should I get the 7950 first? (GPU>CPU?) Then get the mobo together with the CPU later?

I not here to up set anyone its just in the past i have posted really good quality solid boards to be told they are not required or unnecessary. And the point i am trying to humbly say in hind sight maybe in some cases a higher board gives that person more scope to up grade and expand. Where at this stage the person is faced with a complete rebuild scenario. Why pay twice when for a few extra dollars this situation would not possible happen at all. And yes in this case the OP got this set up as a present, but if this was someone else then different. Best Regards to all. AJ. :chair: :shrug:

Well Wafflebutt looks like my friend everyone has gone and left us here alone, so if that's the case what do you want to do???

Last edited:
Back