• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my PSU sufficient for Sapphire R9-280X Toxic ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

As title said.
I think my PSU Wattage is sufficient , I have a 850W Bronze rated.
Problem is , it's a 4 Rail PSU , I worry If I didn't setup properly , the lack of Ampere will cause problems.

Here's the simple run down of the spec

12V1 and 12V2 = 20A ea
12V3 and 12V4 = 30A ea

Link to my PSU

http://www.enermax.com/home.php?fn=eng/product_a1_1_2&lv0=1&lv1=54&no=149

Picture reference , sorry it's not so clear.

http://www.atiscomputer.com/boutique/images_produits/naxn850-z.jpg

Funny thing is , the Modular Section , I have another 2X more for PCI-E , labeled as Red Socket.
As the Socket has 2 Rows or label. It's being labelled
Same for both socket.

12V3 12V4
12V3 12V4
12V3 12V4
Gnd Gnd
Gnd Gnd
Gnd Gnd

Which makes me thing , the Native Cables are supposing to be 12V1 and 12V2 I guess.

The rest , Black Sockets , for HDD , Fans etc are all 1 Row , which is labeled as 12V4

So is my PCI-E Socket using both 12V3 and 12V4 combined together and produces 60A ?

So if my PSU is sufficient , how do you guys think I should plug in the connectors from my PSU to GPU

Here's the link to the GPU

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/product_index.aspx?pid=2023&lid=1

Rail 3 and 4 combined do have 60 amps, however, all 4 rails combined are only 62.5 amps. You can pull up to 30 amps from rail 3 or 4 before that rails overcurrent protection kicks in and shuts down the psu.

Example, pulling 10 amps from rail 1, 10 from rail 2 and 10 from rail 3, so you could pull 30 amps from rail 4 without going over the total of 62.5.

But if for instance you had 15 amps each on rails 1 2 and 3, that would only leave 17.5 total amps for rail 4 before you overloaded the psu.

All of that being said, you have more than enough power for a single 280x, i would just use the rail 3 or 4 plugs on the psu to power it, since the card has a 250w tdp that comes in just shy of 21 amps(250 watts / 12 volts = 20.83 amps), which may be just enough to trip overcurrent protection on one of the 20 amp rails.

Tks for the explanation , I was never good with Multi Rail PSU lol...
But where do you see the GPU's Wattage TDP ?
Just want to make sure , Im referring to the Sapphire R9-280X Toxic , it's a more power hungry GPU than the ordinary 280X / 7970.
From what I seen on Hexus or was it Kitguru , the PSU was actually able to go high as 400W on load..if so it will be 33A :shock:

But even after explanation im still bit confused lol.
So basically written on the specs.

12V1 12V2 12V3 12V4
20A 20A 30A 30A

Total : 62.5A

So means I can't draw out exact 20A from 12V1 and 12V2 , 30A from 12V3 and 12V4 ? Due to OCP ?

So im only able to draw out around like

10A 10A 20A 20A = 60A (roughly)

If so , then for the PCI-E Connector , it's 12V3 and 12V4 together.
So means it's only around 40A max then Im able to draw out ??

Where can I find the OCC limit , It's not even written on my manual , this manual is pretty bad if you ask me provided by Enermax :-/

And if it does load around 400W , 33A then , and Im able to draw out 40A , Im only left with 7A for other stuffs , since the 12V4 too power HDD , Fan Controller , DVD-ROM etc...

Could I just take 1X 8PIN PCI-E from Native , 12V1 and 12V2 ( 20A total )
, and another 1X 8PIN PCI-E from Modular , 12V3 and 12V4 ( 40A total )
to power up the GPU ? Since it uses 2X 8PIN PCI-E

You can download the manual of my PSU here for a more clear info.

http://www.enermax.com/home.php?fn=eng/product_a1_1_6&lv0=1&lv1=54&no=149

Sorry If Im making things more confusing or unable to understand even IF IT's CLEAR that my PSU is able to support , but I just want to be sure and able to understand it properly before I do anything. Or else this will be a PRICEY lesson indeed :salute:

Your power supply is limited to 62.5 amps on the 12v rails, or 750 watts, divided up however you like without going over any of the rails individual limits. So its up to 20amps for each of rail 1&2 and up to 30 for each of rail 3&4, but the total of all 4 should not exceed 62.5.

Anandtechs review of your toxic 280x had the entire system drawing less than 400w under a gaming load. And even under the power virus that is furmark, full system draw was less than 500w.

If you want to 100% guarantee it will work without tripping the overcurrent protection, then one 8 pin from 12v3 and one from 12v4 would offer the card the most power.

TMI...

Yes, it will EASILY be fine. I also am not sure if that PSU even has OCP on the rails as alot that advertise like that, do not. Plug it in as you see fit. If you have issues under load, spread it, but I doubt your will have any trouble. That PSU will support 2 of those cards and not break a sweat. :)

Last edited:
Your power supply is limited to 62.5 amps on the 12v rails, or 750 watts, divided up however you like without going over any of the rails individual limits. So its up to 20amps for each of rail 1&2 and up to 30 for each of rail 3&4, but the total of all 4 should not exceed 62.5.

Anandtechs review of your toxic 280x had the entire system drawing less than 400w under a gaming load. And even under the power virus that is furmark, full system draw was less than 500w.

If you want to 100% guarantee it will work without tripping the overcurrent protection, then one 8 pin from 12v3 and one from 12v4 would offer the card the most power.

TMI...

Yes, it will EASILY be fine. I also am not sure if that PSU even has OCP on the rails as alot that advertise like that, do not. Plug it in as you see fit. If you have issues under load, spread it, but I doubt your will have any trouble. That PSU will support 2 of those cards and not break a sweat. :)

I think Im starting to understand here....
Let's say I draw

12V1 - 10A
12V2 - 10A
12V3 - 20A
12V3 - 20A

Total - 60A

I will still be 101% fine.
Since...
1) I didn't over my Individual Limit
2) I didn't over my Total Limit (62.5A)

BUT , IF I draw out
12V1 - 30
12V2 - 20
12V3 - 20
12V3 - 30

Total - 100A

I be big trouble
Because...
1) Drawn too much for Individual Limit
2) Drawn too much for Total Limit (62.5A)

Is this right ?? Is this what it's meant for Multi PSU Rails ?? And of course the Wattage for all the Rails , I could not exceed , which is 750W...which is freaking plenty...:attn:

But as for splitting it up into 12V3 and 12V4 I can't do that.
For If Im not mistaken, like I mentioned before, they combined both 12V3 and 12V4 for the PCI-E / CPU / RAM connectors.

Just see the picture you will understand , the Red Sockets, it has 2 Rows instead of 1 Row like the Black Sockets.

The PCI-E Connector , too have 2 Rows instead , and will split into 2 6PIN / 8PIN

So when I meant by splitting it I was only thinking by taking one of the 6PIN / 8PIN PCI-E Connectors from the Native (12V1 and 12V2) and another one 6PIN / 8PIN PCI-E Connectors from the Modular (12V3 and 12V4)

Let me give you a more clear picture.

http://overclock.pl/images/articles/content/artykuly/2011/04/naxn/zdjecia/big/17.jpg

http://overclock.pl/images/articles/content/artykuly/2011/04/naxn/zdjecia/big/16.jpg

http://overclock.pl/articles/show/id/323,5,7,okablowanie

But you guys are lot more professional than me and easily more knowledgeable than me in PC stuffs lol , I don't even study about PC stuff or have a Career on this. I try to self learn on the internet. I think I will take you guys word for it :thup:

Also about the 400W I said on load , my bad there...I went and dig around again , yeah this GPU only draws around 250W or so , 400W was on Furmark...
This GPU is around a GTX 780 / 280X Vapor-X power consumption.
I wonder is it around HD 7970 too I didn't look it up on this.

It is possible that its like earthdog said, and its one giant rail anyway that they label as 4. I had an antec unit like that once. But yes you have the idea with how the rails work now, based on the information provided by the psu specs.

Its power draw is very similar to an overclocked 7970 running the same speeds and voltages, the toxic just has much higher power limits which leads to less throttling in furmark which leads to absurd unrealistic power usage.

It is possible that its like earthdog said, and its one giant rail anyway that they label as 4. I had an antec unit like that once.

What's the purpose they do such thing ? TBH , Multi Rail PSU is seriously rare to see these days. Even Seasonic don't have them.

Another thing , hmm exactly roughly any idea , if excluding GPU.
How much does all our STOCK VOLTAGE , NON OVERCLOCK
1) CPU
2) RAM
3) HDD ( maybe few like 2 - 3 )
4) Fans etc
5) Soundcard ( doesn't require any PCI-E Connector type )

All total roughly , Wattage and Amperage consumption ?
Since my i5 3550 , on CPU-Z it said the TDP it's only 77W that's rather low :shock:
But is this legitimately correct ?
I think HDD barely use any much power either.

Are GPU the most power hungry component in our PC ?

Yeah one more thing , I tried Google it, but what's the exact purpose they they made Multi Rail PSU , since if there's this much hassle to worry about.
Some I heard it's lot more stable for Overclockers :shrug: ?

If its only one card, you ahve no issues..

I ran 2x 7950 + 1x 7970Ghz on a Corsair AX750, so 1 280x on your PSU should be completly fine.

This poor thread...making so much of so little. :)

1. That GPU cannot pull 400W. It is a 250W card with a 20% power limit... If you do the math that is 300W. I can believe the SYSTEM pulls 400W with that card in it sure. If the toxic has a higher power limit (not sure it does, do not own one, but all 7970s and the two 280x I have were all 20%), then, in furmark, an unrealistic load, it could hit 400W assuming that limit was at what 70%? I found that even with 1.3v I wasn't hitting the 20% limit so.............

2. In the PSU section (here) there is a sticky thread about multi rail PSU's... its benefits and drawbacks. Find and read it. That will explain things on that front.

But really, we do not know for sure if that is a TRUE multi rail PSU in the first place. Just plug it in. If it borks under load, then look at your power distribution. Otherwise, I wouldn't make much out of it. :)

Enjoy!

If its only one card, you ahve no issues..

I ran 2x 7950 + 1x 7970Ghz on a Corsair AX750, so 1 280x on your PSU should be completly fine.
You are missing the point of the multi-rail PSU here Pierre. ;)

1. That GPU cannot pull 400W. It is a 250W card with a 20% power limit... If you do the math that is 300W. I can believe the SYSTEM pulls 400W with that card in it sure. If the toxic has a higher power limit (not sure it does, do not own one, but all 7970s and the two 280x I have were all 20%), then, in furmark, an unrealistic load, it could hit 400W assuming that limit was at what 70%? I found that even with 1.3v I wasn't hitting the 20% limit so.............

2. In the PSU section (here) there is a sticky thread about multi rail PSU's... its benefits and drawbacks. Find and read it. That will explain things on that front.

But really, we do not know for sure if that is a TRUE multi rail PSU in the first place. Just plug it in. If it borks under load, then look at your power distribution. Otherwise, I wouldn't make much out of it. :)

Enjoy!

Ahh i missed that. Sorry.

Enjoy!

Hopefully I can even distribute it lol , since ( well this haven't been confirm but I think it's 101% it is so ) both 12V1 and 12V2 are combined for Natives and 12V3 and 12V4 for Modular

To split this , I guess Native will have maximum of 40A for Native Cable Rail section and Modular section will have 60A , but even so , Im only actually able to draw total of 30 for 12V1 and 12V2 and 30 for 12V3 and 12V4 max for both section till I hit my 62.5A Total Limit.

If the GPU takes about 20A - 25A ( If it's maximum Wattage is around 250W - 300W. Let's take the WORST CASE scenario 30A

Since it's been split to using Native and Modular sides of the Rails.
I will be splitting it into 15A / 15A for both sides.
Im still left another 15A for both sides go around

Which I guess leaving me still plenty more room lol.
I doubt the rest of my components take up much Amperage?

Seems legit I guess :thup:
But why I can't stop worrying lol :bang head Get out of my head " Concern "
:bang head :bang head :bang head

Ahh i missed that. Sorry.

LOL , the Wattage of my PSU isn't a problem here I know for sure 850W is just plenty lol , even Sapphire themselves only recommended 750W for this GPU.
I have another 150W extra. Just about the Amperage distribution Im worry about :bang head

Still have to purchase the card first lol.
Hopefully there are still in Stocks those cards sold out on the first day of release !
The Power Limit you guys mentioned about , there's a like a " lock " for it ?
I mean basically , the maximum for HD 7970 was only 20% like you guys mentioned ? It can't be more ? I don't OC , so I've no experience about this , but I know what was the function you guys talking about.

But it's a fact the Sapphire R9-280X Toxic actually uses 1.26V compared to the rest even Asus Matrix R9-280X which are only 1.2V. They sort of amp up the power consumption.
But I guess it's normal , don't you agree this card is being serious overclocked out of the box ? But from KitGuru reviews, we still able to OC it even more...it's not official , but Im claiming this the " Fastest " R9-280X / HD 7970 now on the market !

I can't imagine if they made a Toxic Edition of the R9-290X = ="
But I heard news that MSI is already on progress with their Lighting R9-290X , it will own indeed...

You should read the Anand review on that card ED. It doesn't have stock powertune. Granted it was whole system but furmark pulled almost 500w from the wall. 102w more than a 7970ghz edition in the same review.

Yeah Furmark (a wholly unrealsitic load that we tell people not to use for a reason...) pulled 469W at the wall (so around 420W actual from the system assuming platinum level PSU). That is also using an overclocked 4670x IB-E CPU too...You can see the gaming load, something more appropriate, it only used 20W more than the 7970. ;)

Also, oddly enough, these cards are all over the map with power. For example, look at the power draw in our 280x reviews. The difference is like 75W between two cards at the same clockspeeds, LOL!

Last edited:
Should I be concern of what you two are discussing about for my sake ?
( WHICH I EVEN HAVE NO CLUE WHAT'S THAT YOU TWO ARE DISCUSSING ABOUT )

But like ED said , for most cases I usually see Gaming Benchmarks , since it's what I be using my PC for , Gaming...I don't OC lol.

No, we were mostly discussing powertune and how your card is capable of pulling more power than a stock 280x because it is factory overclocked with what is presumably a custom bios and powertune limits. But only in something unrealistic like furmark.

Just plug your card in and play some games, and all will be well :beer:

Back