• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my setup good for overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evilwalker

Registered
Alright well I don't have a high end system by all means but it's not crap either, I have been playing GW2 for a few days now and get LOW FPS like 11 last time I saw. I went to the forum, Gave my specs and was told the game was VERY CPU dependent. And that I have a lower end one at that.

SO with that being said, I want to see if its possible to give my CPU a little boost and hopefully see a change in the lag issue i have.
Specs:
AMD Athlon 2 x3 450 Rana @3.2Ghz
Biostar A880GZ micro MoBo
Sapphire Radeon 7770 GHz edition
8GB 1333 DDR3 Ram
Corsair CX600M PS
Stock CPU heatsink, 4 fans inside case not including CPU fan.

Is it possible to overclock my CPU with the hardware I have? I know this processor has been able to unlock a core, My mobo has an option to unlock it in the Bios. I tried awhile back almost positive the computer didn't turn on and i had to reset CMOS or something like that.

But can I sayy up the Ghz to 3.6Ghz? Temps now are CPU: 40c SYSTEM 35c and I have my fans at a lower than default speed to make the system more quit. How would I go about overclocking? What programs? I looked into AMD overdrive but everything is just about maxed out already at 3.2.

Sure right now your CPU is definitely the bottleneck and why you are seeing those really low frame rates. Your GPU is very high end and could play most current games with all settings on high.

Sounds like you already confirmed you cannot unlock the other core, but I would try again if you have an doubts. Sometimes doing a full bios reset and loading optimal defaults, then running the bios unlock function will help with that process. If all else fails, I'd say rather than overclock, go ahead and upgrade to a quad core or x3 Phenom II with the added benifit of L3 cache. They are very very cheap now adays. Especially on amazon.com.

For example, this Phenom II X3 720 BE clocks at 2.8Ghz and would really help out the frame rate problem. If its shipping from china that might be a problem but its probably worth it even if it is used, for $59.00.
http://www.amazon.com/Phenom-2-8GHz...80158543&sr=1-2&keywords=amd+phenom+ii+x3+720

The Denab X4s are still relatively expensive because they outperform the FX chips, which is a sad commentary.

I plan on upgrading soon, But as of now I'm on a budget and can't spend much. This was my first build and I didn't do enough research on what CPU's do what for what purposes.

I do want to try and do the unlock method once more as when I was doing it I also had a crappy Powersupply that I later found out would sometimes not start up.

So say It works, Everything should power on like normal? I wouldn't know it worked untill I look in the Bios?

And If it does not work the system just wont turn on? And I'm i correct when saying i need to Reset my CMOS? ( I did this within a week of getting this build if i remember and don't exactly remember how the process goes lol)

Could you help me out on how I need to go about trying this again? and how do i reset my Bios?

Thanks

Yes, I would say if you are confident in working with the bios and know what settings you need to reconfigure (i.e. memory timings, voltages, clock speeds, etc), go ahead and load the bios defaults for starters. The same can be accomplished if you pull power from the mainboard and then remove the battery for 10 seconds. IT helps if you also press the power button for a few seconds while you have the battery out to drain the remaining power from the system and clear the bios. That is considered more thorough than just loading the bios defaults, but both would work here.

Once you power on for the first time after reset, it should ask you to press F7 for core unlocking, and then it will unlock the core, and reboot again, registering the "new" and "unlocked" cpu. Now I can only speak for the older AM3 Biostar boards, so your AM3+ might be slightly different in configuration and unlocking operation. I would encourage you to familiarize yourself with the bios settings and core unlock settings.

The basic process is the core is unlocked, the system reboots, and even if the core is bad, in most cases it will still POST. Usually it will freeze half way through the windows boot process if its a bad core. IF its a really bad core then you might not even make it through the BIOS POST process.

And also keep in mind you might not have to reset your bios at all. Just do some further research on your particular board.... good luck.

7770 is not a very high end card...its a $110 budget card. That cpu isn't holding it back.. the game though likes cpu power as he mentioned.

Also, that motherboard seems like it is is budget too? Any cooling on the vrm area? How many power phases? I know the cpu is a tri core, but one should have heatsinks on the vrm area to help keep them cool.

EDIT: looked at the board and it is 4 phase with no heatsinks on theme vrm area. Just make sure you have good case airflow and you should be ok assuming you have the overclocking options in the bios of course. :)

To be honest I'm pretty new to the hole overclocking thing. I went ahead into my Bios and set the unlocking core to enabled, Went to save and restart and nothing came up. Just a black screen.

So I rebooted it manually. everything works fine. rebooted it again went into the bios and the setting was still set to enabled... But never got anything that told me i can unlock the core?

As of right now the setting is still at enabled. Im pretty sure everytime i go to save and restart from the bios nothing comes back up untill i manually reboot it

I have the option to raise the cpu voltage, Memory and another cpu setting from default .5 .10 .15 then something(already forget) is already set to 1.25 and can go up to 1.29

I'm going to assume the core is unstable as I just get a black screen?
So does this mean no change of overclocking now? or how would i go about that now that the 4th core is unstable?

Yes this was a budget build that i ended up doing over time. Got the case and mobo almost a year before i got everything else to put it together. I spent a little over $500 on all stated above plus harddrives, dvd burner better fans.

Nothing will tell you you can unlock the core. If you enabled core unlocking and the computer will not even boot into Windows it is likely the locked core is invalid. They locked it at the factory because it was no good. It's too far out of spec in some way to be viable when unlocked. Now focus your attention on overclocking the three good cores. It would be of great help to us assisting you if you would provide attached pictures of the relevant overclocking sections of your bios. That would be the tabs that include adjustment options for CPU frequency and voltage and memory speed. There is a built-in tool for attaching pics with your posts if you will go to Go Advanced and then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the next window. We need to see what you see.

I wasn't able to get any good pictures for some reason(they all looked really small) So I went ahead and made a video and went through most the tabs and opened up some of the tabs. I hope this is clear enough, You may need to pause it to get a good look at each tab. Sorry about that.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ZcKZjgz4jLQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you turn the volume up you can here sort of a grinding noise(seems allot louder in the video) I think my CPU heatsink fan is rubbing bearings.

This may also help. I can't seem to raise my HT ref clock any higher than 200

Attachments

• 11.png
    11.png
    111.5 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Biostar A880GZ micro MoBo << I just g00gled how + to + overclock + Biostar A880GZ micro MoBo and read a number of links where other users were responding to others trying to overclock and AMD cpu on that motherbaord and the majority of those trying to help did NOT suggest to really try and overclock that 3 +1 VRM type motherboard. So that is surely strike number one.

LINKY >> http://www.overclockers.com/step-guide-overclock-amd-phenom/
3 Step Guide to Overclock Your AMD Phenom << That guide is presented in a little easier to understand format for the begninner or IT seems to be so.

I copied those 4 lines from the guide above.

Stock settings: 200 * 14 = 2800 MHz

In other terms, FSB * CPU Multiplier = Speed of CPU

With the 810, I can only increase the FSB in order to overclock the CPU itself. So for this next example I will increase the FSB to create a 3010 MHz CPU or a 3.01 GHz core speed.

OC: 215 * 14 = 3010 MHz

Now I will take those 4 lines and replace the info in the 4 lines with information about your BE 560 cpu.

Stock settings: 200 * 16 = 3200 MHz

In other terms, FSB * CPU Multiplier = Speed of CPU

With the 560 BE, I can only increase the FSB in order to overclock the CPU itself. So for this next example I will increase the FSB to create a 3360 MHz CPU or a 3.36 GHz core speed.

OC: 210 * 16 = 3360 MHz

Now that is about as simple an explanation of how to increase your cpu speed from stock 3.2Ghz to an overclocked 3.36Ghz. Is your cpu capable of speeding up that much without changing voltage to the cpu and perhaps lowering some of the other 4 buss speeds so they TOO are not overclocked out of spec and no longer is bootable. No one knows but you have to try at your end and make the actual determination.

There really is NO do 1, 2, and 3 and overclocked and off to gaming. That is why well written guides and tutorials can be very important.

If you actually have a BE type processor that LINKY to the overclocking guide shoul tell you all you NEED to know about overclocking that 560 processor if your particular motherboard is actually setup to overclock very well from the bios. Some boards just suck at overclocking software or bios or otherwise.

Biostar A880GZ micro MoBo << I just g00gled how + to + overclock + Biostar A880GZ micro MoBo and read a number of links where other users were responding to others trying to overclock and AMD cpu on that motherbaord and the majority of those trying to help did NOT suggest to really try and overclock that 3 +1 VRM type motherboard. So that is surely strike number one.
Yes the 3 +1 VRM power phase can be a problem and good to be aware of. However, I have an 880 series Biostar AM3, with the same power phase running an X6 thuban at about 4ghz. So you may have some head room to work with, especially with a less demanding CPU locked in.

Like rgone is saying, you are likely going to have to use your FSB to overclock the CPU. I took a snip of your video in the section you will be working with most if you choose to overclock the CPU instead of upgrading to a better CPU. Yes your video card is not high end, but relative to your CPU performance it has much longer legs. With a core clock of 1GHZ and an effective memory speed in the 4.5ghz range, entry level or not it will easily play most games given more CPU processing power.

Under performance if you choose AMD Pstate Configuration, it will allow you to tune your overclock. I've just highlighted a few of the areas that may need attention once you start upping the FSB. Keep in mind, sometimes you can get lucky and just bump up the HT/FSB clock WITHOUT changing any other settings to achieve a decent overclock. Just a few days ago I overclocked an AMD Athlon II X2 245, from 2.9 to 3.3 by simply raising the FSB to 228, everything else remained on auto.

bios_zpsba1d9cde.jpg

Maybe I'm not getting something. But I understand in order to OC I need to do it with FSB.

In AMD Pstate config, Everything is already raised to the top number stock? I can lower the numbers. But All that does is underclock.

Sorry for being such a noob on this subject, I'm trying to learn.

Maybe I'm not getting something. But I understand in order to OC I need to do it with FSB.

In AMD Pstate config, Everything is already raised to the top number stock? I can lower the numbers. But All that does is underclock.

Sorry for being such a noob on this subject, I'm trying to learn.

Well I had already written this and then I went to watch that video about your board.
If you actually have a BE type processor that LINKY to the overclocking guide shoul tell you all you NEED to know about overclocking that 560 processor if your particular motherboard is actually setup to overclock very well from the bios. Some boards just suck at overclocking software or bios or otherwise.

Since you say you cannot raise the number in the P-States configuration area then that board truly sucketh for overclocking and I do not see any setting that will allow changing FSB in the bios. Not a way to overclock that board with FSB that I could see from viewing the video based on your previous post.

In the area where it shows CPU FID if that FID number cannot be increased then you are d0ne as far as overclocking is concerned according to the video of bios.

I'm pretty sure the board is just a crappy board. I ended up buying the board over a year before i bought the cpu and everything and it was around $60-$70 at that time. I actually have that Athlon II 450 and it's BL

I only wanted to overclock to be able to handle more CPU dependable games. Such as GuildWars 2. But I seem to be doing fine with med setting and FPS at 22 now. Not great. But very playable.

I have also have BF4 pre-ordered forever now, My specs are all at least a notch above Minimum CPU being the worst of my specs. But I heard people with AMD will notice a boost of some sort. So we will see.

Thank you all for trying! This seems like a really great and noob friendly community. I think I might stay :)

Yes it is a shame the board is not overclocking friendly but you usually have to pay for such things in order to have it all work out in a positive manner. Good luck in your gaming.
RGone...ster.

The AMD Athlon II X2 450 in a non BE processor and therefore the multiplier is limited to a maximum of x16. Since your Biostar motherboard does not support FSB overclocking, you are out of luck with respect to any overclock whatsoever, at the present time. However, there is a slim margin something can be done to remedy that situation.

I noticed you are running the initial bios for that board (88PMP907.BSS) Since that initial bios, Biostar has released total of four BIOS revisions, with each one building upon the prior, with bug fixes, performance enhancements and possibly additional overclocking features. I would recommend flashing your BIOS to the latest version (88PMP301.BSS). Once the flash is complete (really a simple processes just make sure you follow the Biostar Flash instructions accurately and concisely and it should be smooth sailing once the BIOS update is complete.

The bios updates with download links can be found here:
http://www.biostar-usa.com/app/en-us/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=555#dl

Upon reboot, I would recommend checking to see if you have the capability to increase your Front Side Bus speed, perhaps that was a feature they added in the latest bios release. Its a long shot, but at the very least, your system will be current and running to its full potential.

Googled up a video of that board with an FX-6300 in the cpu socket and still there was no FSB change available in bios. Stated that the unlocked cpus could change the multiplier but not the FSB. Just so he does not get his hopes up too greatly and be disappointed again.

Googled up a video of that board with an FX-6300 in the cpu socket and still there was no FSB change available in bios. Stated that the unlocked cpus could change the multiplier but not the FSB. Just so he does not get his hopes up too greatly and be disappointed again.
Yeah, I figured it was a long shot, that's why I mentioned it in my post above. As well as a slim chance, Just so he wouldn't get his hopes up. Nevertheless, I would recommend getting your system set up with the latest bios for a host of reasons. That is, if you feel confident enough to go through with it.

EDIT: Did you confirm that board in the video was using the latest bios revision? I did a quick Google search but couldn't find anything on it with the FX 6300, just a few unboxing videos on youtube. link?

I have updated my BIOS there where a few changes. Now in the performance tab it tells me to reset my CMOS if no display after overclocking.... But thats really about it. It added a few new categories on some tabs but nothing that i can change in them.
http://www.overclock.net/products/biostar-a880gz-micro-atx-amd-motherboard/reviews/4853
I did however find this post and this guy had some luck overclocking.

I beginning to think its really just the CPU and board I have. I have not read about anyone with the setup I have being successful on the overclock.. Everything is still maxed out other than voltage. I can change the divider from 1 up to 10 but that seemed to make the CPU speed slower.

I have updated my BIOS there where a few changes. Now in the performance tab it tells me to reset my CMOS if no display after overclocking.... But thats really about it. It added a few new categories on some tabs but nothing that i can change in them.
http://www.overclock.net/products/biostar-a880gz-micro-atx-amd-motherboard/reviews/4853
I did however find this post and this guy had some luck overclocking.

I beginning to think its really just the CPU and board I have. I have not read about anyone with the setup I have being successful on the overclock.. Everything is still maxed out other than voltage. I can change the divider from 1 up to 10 but that seemed to make the CPU speed slower.

Yes that's right. Its a combination of your locked CPU and a motherboard that only allows overclocking via the CPU multiplier. Overclocking would be fine for anyone with BE edition processor, but it still concerns me they would leave the age old method of a FSB overclock out of the equation.

Thanks for all your help anyway! If nothing else I think I could overclock(if i had the right parts)pretty well with all the information learned the past few days.

I'm going to get a new board and CPU hopefully soon. Probably spend $200 on each. But for now 3.2 will have to do haha

Back