• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my temp too high?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tbirdwondering

Registered
In VIA Hardware Monitor and in bios, my TBird's temperature is regularly reaching the high forties (even 50C) under load, even when running at 1000Mhz (standard speed). Idle temp is about 30 - 34C. Is this too high?

I have a "Coolermaster DP5-6H51" HSF (Recommended by AMD) on the TBird.
Case ventilation consists of two "TITAN System Exhaust Blowers" (2 x 42 CFM) in two expansion slots. No intake fan at front of case.

That isn't too hot, but it is getting there. What thermal paste are you using? I'd put some more fans in that case. Your idle temps aren't too bad, but 50 is getting kinda high. Put in a intake fan in the front of the case. Also one in the side I heard can make quite a difference (by the CPU), I'm planning on putting one in.

Hope this helps.

Yep your temp is gettin high but it'll still run ok. I've ran my tbird 950@1166 around 52c for awhile and it survived. Definitely put in an intake fan and use either artic silver or Philips ECG (part#ECG424) for your paste. Use a thin coat and make sure your heat sink is completely touching the core. The closer you can run to 35-40c the better go to a water block if necessary. As crazy as this may sound try clockin it a little higher it may cool a hair mine did! I know it doesn't make much sense but it can't hurt.
Tbird 950@1166, Stealth III S540, Realtek nic, Sound Blaster Live, gettin colder with water (gonna super cool here soon)

tbirdwondering (Feb 04, 2001 11:50 a.m.):
In VIA Hardware Monitor and in bios, my TBird's temperature is regularly reaching the high forties (even 50C) under load, even when running at 1000Mhz (standard speed). Idle temp is about 30 - 34C. Is this too high?

I have a "Coolermaster DP5-6H51" HSF (Recommended by AMD) on the TBird.
Case ventilation consists of two "TITAN System Exhaust Blowers" (2 x 42 CFM) in two expansion slots. No intake fan at front of case.

I think you'd also benefit from a better HSF. Remember, AMD doesn't endorse overclocking so "AMD Approved" HSF's are based on running at stock speed.

Back