• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shall I overclock my CPU? High temperatures of IOH and CPU voltage transformers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vladimir1

Registered
Hi,

I am pretty much a newbie when it comes to overclocking and I dont really wanna damage any of my PC parts.

Alright so, these are my PC specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5620 2,4 GHz ( I overclocked it 50%, to 3.6 GHz previously but then I reset the overclock just because I wanted to confirm that the IOH temperature is safe which is why I created this thread )
GPU: GT 630 4GB
RAM: Kingston 12 GB DDR3 1333 MHz ( currently running on 1066 MHz which is the default for my LGA 1366 motherboard )
Motherboard: MSI X58 Pro-E
HDD: 500 GB

When I had my CPU overclocked to 3,6 GHz which is 50% ( from 2,4 GHz ) the temperature never reached the max recommended temperature for the CPU which is 77.6C and the max I saw was 70-71C thanks to my decent CPU cooler.
So, the temperature of the CPU was fine, always bellow the max recommended, however the IOH temperature was not.
The current temperature of the IOH is 80-85C usually which is still high if you ask me, Intel recommends 100C max but if I overclock it's surely above 110C.

Thing is I dont have a cooler for the IOH, I actually had one and the temperature of the IOH was fine about 50C but the cooler died so I dont have any cooler now.

I also never thought of the CPU voltage transformers which I guess gets even hotter than the IOH temperature because no cooler for it either. I've heard that the PC would usually turn off if the temperature of the CPU voltage transformers gets too hot, I dont know exactly how much but maybe 200C or something ?

I would appreciate any advices on what to do in my case, shall I overclock or just leave my PC as it is ?
Once I get a cooler for the IOH there wont be any temperature problems except for the CPU voltage transformers, Im not really sure what's the max recommended temp for it and if there is any way to see the temperature and maybe cool it down ?

Thank you

According to the spec sheet here , max operating temps are 77.6c (80c). I would think 100c is way beyond it's safe limit.

My suggestion is to keep the max temps @ 70c, no higher if you plan on keeping that chip any longer.

Adding a fan to the NB/Mosfets area will help keep those temps in check.

Thanks for your reply, but you misunderstood me.

I said that the CPU even when it's 50% overclocked it never gets any hotter than 71C, the IOH is what gets hot at the moment since I dont have a cooler.
As far as I know the max recommended temperature for IOH is 100C, right now my IOH never goes more than 85C which is 15C less than the max recommended, but if I overclock the CPU and dont use cooler for the IOH it'll go above 100C.

Anyway I was worried about the CPU voltage transformers' temperature, but since there's no coolers for them I guess there's no need to, they can handle high temperatures .. ?

Back