• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Is my video card going bad or am I just asking too much of it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nucombo

Hello everyone, I have a fairly good setup i8700K 32gb ram and a GTX1080 FTW DT.

I was running Heaven with it and I notice in certain location it would sort of feel like it jumps a few frames in the scene, I am trying to record it with my phone to show what exactly I mean but in short as you watch it feels like it hangs for a very quick moment and jumps a little ahead, it does not happen often.

And I noticed that while I am streaming say DayZ with OBS while OBS does not show any changes to fps (keep it at 60) and no dropped frames the game just doesn't feels smoothly it looks like I am going slow motion or something but there are times I do not feel any of this.

Could these 2 be connected? could the later be related to my settings or even in game lag?

As seen on last image I've OC'ed it but that was recently the issue mentioned was from before that, OC'ing it changed nothing. Its going all the way to 2050 stable.

Any help deeply appreciate, anything I can check or do please do let me know.

vCqbVdZ.png
kmAYJ2Y.png
7V9CNYG.png
Ef4oYnt.png
tslKqT3.png
1T5cGox.png

Last edited:
:welcome:

The hiccups in Heaven are “normal” on the 1st run and sometimes on 2nd and 3rd (always in the same areas), but they stop eventually if you have it on a loop and it's fully cached, I had them in every system I ever stressed/benched with it. Has nothing to do with any other software, it's an issue with Heaven that was never fixed.

:welcome:

The hiccups in Heaven are “normal” on the 1st run and sometimes on 2nd and 3rd (always in the same areas), but they stop eventually if you have it on a loop and it's fully cached, I had them in every system I ever stressed/benched with it. Has nothing to do with any other software, it's an issue with Heaven that was never fixed.

Thanks for the reply and welcome ;)

So could it be that I am just asking too much of my GPU/PC by using OBS with 1900x600 with new NVENC plus the game running? I've tried different settings but its just happens aleatory

---

May be worth noting that this was the state of the GPU when I opened the back plate of it for cleaning, I also applied a new thermal paste on the GPU side it was clean.

IMG_20200919_141723379.jpg
IMG_20200919_141737454.jpg

There was I don't know the name but it goes on top of those resistors or whatever those are and it have some sort of glue in it and that seemed to have leaked the oil on it.

Whatever these are called I think it lead from that foam:

t3EXVOV.png

I cleaned it all up and closed everything.

Last edited:
hey thanks for the reply again!

I've tried 1920x1080 canvas and scaled as well as 900p they both yield the same result

This is what I currently have as settings:

JHuwuWx.png
r2KPW9U.png
g6qSozb.png
Uzu0AKW.png

All I have open aside of OBS(with chat, activity feed and info decks) are discord, chrome with 1 tab(hardly I need more than that), and the game itself so I don't think this would kill my system to hurt the game.

According to the NVIDIA guide I should not use "enforce streaming service encoder settings" from here
the link you sent however tells me otherwise so its a bit confusing there ;P

This may be a interesting bit of information I was not streaming but I had the stats of obs open while running Heaven and I go this:
atgSDOe.png
Is the frames missed normal if all I am doing is running Heaven? Is 19 within an acceptable range if that is normal?

Last edited:
Try disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome and Discord, from personal experience Chrome and YouTube for example don't agree with streaming apps and alt-tabbing most of the time. Since you're using NVENC, most of the work is being done by the GPU, so you might as well offload the background stuff to mainly/only the CPU. If memory serves there was also an addon for Chrome that forced YouTube to use h264 instead of HTML5 which makes it much faster/efficient.

discord already had hardware accel disabled, and I disabled now on chrome, will try and report back thanks!

Yeah that didn't work :(

It starts dropping to 50~60 fps, the GPU usage have some down spikes being at 99% and dropping like that.

UwAg4ir.png
ygYVxvN.png

I will try using my CPU for the encoding and see what happens.

These are the benchmarks I have with and without OC I don't know which score I should be getting for it.

With OC
jvvTMp4.png
Without OC
6Xzf3CH.png

Don't even know if this few fps is worth the OC.

This is the game ? Looks like Rust. I was wrong, this doesn't seem like the type of game that pushes GPUs but I see very heavy fluctuations at 1080p, forget streaming at 1440p/4k with your system. Maybe try Shadowplay instead of OBS if you have it installed (always heard it's much less resource heavy), or drop your game settings a notch ?

Thanks for the reply, will check the video and update.

1440p/4k, I am not trying 4k, I dont even have monitors for that much, its all on 1080p, I would expect it to work with 1080p, even when I do 900p on the output is the same.

I never used shadowplay will see how it works, but I stream on twitch how would it work for alerts and other stuff?

These are my current game settings:
XNaZEzW.png

I don't see a scroll or anything to get all those other options I see in that video, maybe its something older? Not sure.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, will check the video and update.

1440p/4k, I am not trying 4k, I dont even have monitors for that much, its all on 1080p, I would expect it to work with 1080p, even when I do 900p on the output is the same.

I never used shadowplay will see how it works, but I stream on twitch how would it work for alerts and other stuff?

These are my current game settings:
View attachment 211699

I don't see a scroll or anything to get all those other options I see in that video, maybe its something older? Not sure.

Turn off anti-aliasing, including post-process anti-aliasing.

I lowered anti-aliasing and a few other stuff and it seems to be running smoothly now but I am deeply disappointed I thought I had a decent PC to at least handle a bit better settings + OBS :(

Thanks a lot guys for the help, if I had to upgrade something what would that be the GPU?

For max settings and streaming, yes I would say GPU. Keep an eye out for the new generation of nVidia and AMD coming out now in October/November, you might get a few nice deals depending on your budget.

For max settings and streaming, yes I would say GPU. Keep an eye out for the new generation of nVidia and AMD coming out now in October/November, you might get a few nice deals depending on your budget.

I am not really trying to have max settings, I just want to be able to stream without issues and was wondering what would be a fair yet cost benefit upgrade for achieve that.

And maybe if I ever break in the streaming world who knows some dope upgrades haha.

I am not really trying to have max settings, I just want to be able to stream without issues and was wondering what would be a fair yet cost benefit upgrade for achieve that.

And maybe if I ever break in the streaming world who knows some dope upgrades haha.

I won't understand it, if it still lags, unless you're using x264 or x265 of course, which that probably means, not enough CPU cores.

For the Nvidia encoder, OTOH, there's normally no lag, even with a limited amount of CPU cores.

If I lower the graphs it seems to do the work for the game and OBS, but I don't want to lower the current settings, the way I had the settings before was where I was having the best experience playing this game.

What I am asking is how much better of a GPU I would need for those settings I guess, I was under the assumption I did have a good PC to use the settings I had, it wasn't all on max or anything.

I don't have money to buy a top GPU, but maybe I can get something better that might work for me, but I am not sure how much of a upgrade this would require.

Last video in there I am using reduced graphs(so far I haven't had any fps issues with this lower setting)

And this video is at a moment I was having issues with the fps(kept going as low as 50)

To me the difference felt noticeable(don't pay much attention to the channel itself im just a nobody heh).

Also just wanted to say thanks to all of u, I really appreciate all the feedback ;)

Last edited:
If I lower the graphs it seems to do the work for the game and OBS, but I don't want to lower the current settings, the way I had the settings before was where I was having the best experience playing this game.

What I am asking is how much better of a GPU I would need for those settings I guess, I was under the assumption I did have a good PC to use the settings I had, it wasn't all on max or anything.

I don't have money to buy a top GPU, but maybe I can get something better that might work for me, but I am not sure how much of a upgrade this would require.

Sorry, I can't think of anything better for the GPU, than the GPU you have in your first post. And I don't know if changing to a B550 and a Ryzen would make a difference.

Back