• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the CM 212 Evo Good Enough For These Specs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LStar

Registered
Can it cool this cpu good enough for it to be overclocked?

Cpu - i5-3570k
Gpu - EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB
Mobo - ASRock Z77 Extreme4
HDD - HDD Western Digital WD Blue WD7500AZEX 750GB 7200 RPM
SSD - SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series
PSU - CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W
Ram - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
Cpu Cooler - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
Dvd Burner - LITE-ON DVD Burner
OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
Case - NZXT Phantom PHAN-001BK Black Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case
KeyBoard - SHARKOON Skiller 000SKSK

Is it good enough and will this TX650w PSU be enough power to OC my cpu and gpu? or do i need a 750w one?

Yeah the CM212 EVO is incredible value/performance you'll do just fine with it. I can't exactly ballpark how high you'll go since every system is different and I don't own any Sandy Bridge desktop platforms... But likely quite high, 4.5GHz

It's Ivy Bridge, I'd expect around 4.2GHz with that setup.

650W is perfect if you're planning to go dual 670s in the future.

Only thing I would change is the keyboard, look for something with mechanical switches.

Im trying to stay at a $1500 budget that's why i didn't try to get any expensive keyboards etc, and cant i go higher then 4.2Ghz or are you saying i only can go to 4.2Ghz because of the cooling?

I'd expect you to be cooler limited on the 212+. A better cooler should get you to 4.5GHz or so. You might be able to get past 4.5GHz, but that depends on how good of an overclocker your chip is (random chance).

I would recommend waiting until next month for buying. Intel has a new line of CPUs they're going to announce in the first week of June that replace Ivy Bridge/1155.

Yeah but who knows how the new chips will perform compared to these which perform flawlessly already (Which ive heard) i'll wait just to see them anyway im in no rush :) First build btw

Yeah but who knows how the new chips will perform compared to these which perform flawlessly already (Which ive heard) i'll wait just to see them anyway im in no rush :) First build btw

I mean we can take guesses, I expect them to be the typical small jump (3-5%) in performance. Steps backwards rarely ever happen in the computer industry.

That being said, even if you stick with your current list, it's bound to be a lot cheaper after the new stuff comes out either way, so win-win scenario.

Eh, keyboards are personal preference, each to his own. Razer makes some good stuff, but they tend to have high failure rates. Logitech is the way I would go if you want non-mechanical.

OK i'll check Logitech out then but doesn't that razer look delicious lmao and the review on em i don't really see and bad reviews on that certain keyboard idk about the rest though

I mean I have some Razer stuff and when they work, they work great. They just have a bit higher failure rates than other companies.

The 212 Evo will handle even a 3930k fine if you upgrade the fan. For your much cooler 3570k, the stock fan should work well enough, though you'll probably want to upgrade it anyways if you're trying to get the absolute best performance.

Razer is a lot like Dyson tbh, a lot of expensive fluff that does it's intended job 80% as well as something that's 50% of its cost, but with much worse looks. I still like Razer stuff though. There are several other computer brands like that, Intel and AMD... etc.

I must say, though, that Logitech stuff is incredibly resilient (But their speakers are lackluster compared to actual audio brands like Klipsch, JBL, etc) I have a Logitech MX518that has lasted at least 4 years, maybe more, and its still kickin.

Back