• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the NOCTUA NH-U14S suitable for my Case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

francesco2000

Registered
Hi,
I am new to the forum and new to overclocking!:)

I have just upgraded my PC with a Gigabate Z77 mobo, and a i5-3570k CPU.
I am not sure about the cooler that suits my need.

Basically I intend to clock the CPU up-to 4.2GHz max.

I did a little research and i think the NOCTUA U14S seems the righ cooler for my needs. The only concern i have is the size of the fan,

The system fan on the case is a 120mm. The one on the cooler is 140mm.
So, does it mean that the case opening is too small for the cooler's fan to be effective?

If so, should i opt for the smaller NOCTUA 12S?

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

For one, the CPU fan doesn't attach to the case, so having 120mm case fans isn't going to be a problem. You should be more concerned with clearance in the case. What case do you have?

Hi,
thank you for the replay.
yes i understand that the fan is attached ob the cooler.

My concern was about the opening on the back of the case which is for a 120 mm fan. Therefore thea large fan may will not work at its best because some of the exaust will go back into the case?
Also should I remove the rear fan? Does it become an obstruction, since it is smaller than the cooler's fan?

Regards

say that your CPUcooler fan displaces 80 CFM, then you only need to ramp up the speed of the case fan so it displaces 81 CFM :)

However, everything is NOT as simple or certainly not linear as that general principle... there is a LOT more in play. But, unless you want to submerge yourself in the subject +thermo & aerodynamic laws for a few months... don't worry about it

But if you really want to slightly worry, just make sure the case fan is rated a higher CFM as the CPU cooler fan, that solves it.

Hi,
Yes! Why did I not think of it?
Thank for your help. I will place an order for ther NOCTUa U14S now.

Regards

Back