• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a list of AM4 boards with base clock adjustment?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xrror

EDIT: Added contributed list so far:

Asrock Tiachi
Asus Crosshair V I Hero
Gigabyte X370 K7
Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming

- clockgen present but not functional/accessible in UEFI (?!)

Biostar X370GTN
-------

My google-fu is weak, I can't seem to find a simple list of AM4 boards that support base clock adjustment.
Has someone already made a list? If not maybe this thread might be the place to start one.

I keep looking at AM4 boards but some listings don't mention if base clock is adjustable, you have to find a review of a board and hope they mention it.

Worse is if a mobo maker likes revisions (*looking at you Gigabyte*) and you can't really trust that v1.0 and v2.0 will keep the same features.

I assume base clock adjust is worth it for tinkerers like myself?
I've read there is a "PCIe penalty" for bclk adjust which I'm not too worried about, and that I'll probably be stuck at 3.9Ghz core anyway but I'd like to have the option to play with it.

Last edited:
Just 3 boards I gave heard of ..... maybe 4. Asrock Tiachi, Asus Crosshair V I Hero and Gigabyte X370 K7. I have heard these three and possibly the MSI xpower Titanium.

Last edited:
For the price you would think so bassnut but there's no BCLK generator on the Titanium.

New addition to boards with BCLK generator is ROG STRIX X370-F GAMING. No Q-Code display / onboard buttons. I wonder if they'll gimp on UEFI features like the Asus Prime X370 Pro. Read a post today where even on latest UEFI members don't have access to some features part of AGESA 1.0.0.6 plus no PState OC facility.

With Ryzen's ability to change the multiplier in .25x increments I think the ability to adjust the BCLK is less important.

True enough but in some cases with less than optimal memory in the board the BCLK is the only way to get it up to speed. That may change as things continue to mature but it's still true at present.

Thanks all, I guess I won't worry much about bclk then.
I was hoping there was some tweaker B350 boards out there - I hadn't even put together that ALL of the mentions of bclk adjustable boards are also X370 ones. It makes sense, I'm just dense :-/

I'm stuck in the bind where I had a system die on me and needs replacement right now - but of course the finances aren't ever good when that happens.

So no high end board for me.

The machine being replaced only had a 2.66 core 2 quad in it, so even a R5 1400 would have easily replaced it, but... I mean... if I already gotta buy DDR4 and a new board anyway, might as well have a little fun right? ;)

My "over-budgets" so far are going for the R5 1600 and 16GB off the bat - I figure I can live with that even if a hopefully improved Ryzen 2nd gen doesn't ever show.

Now I gotta dig around and see if I can find some AM3 mounting hardware for some of my old heatsinks. Hopefully that still fits AM4? that's another thread lol

Thanks again everyone

AM4 has a different layout than AM3. Unless it'll mount to the existing brackets on the board the cooler likely won't work. Good news though AFIK the 1600 non "X" comes with a cooler

If you have an old cooler that fastens with a clip between the two plastic mounting rails on either end of the socket it will likely work.

Biostar X370 boards have bclk adjustment but for some reason on my X370GTN it's not working. Maybe it needs better BIOS while there was no update since April.

For most users overclocking via bclk is bad idea and it's not really helping in anything. For extreme overclockers it may add couple of MHz to memory and help in some benchmarks but if you are not benching on sub 0 temps then it's also pointless.
If motherboard has new AGESA and higher memory multis then bclk is not really needed.

Back