• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there such a thing as a chilled water cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A lot of beer/liquor distributors carry dry ice as well.

You can also get it from an Ice distributor that supplies parties and venues.

Many grocery stores around me (both in Ohio and when I was in MD) carried Dry Ice.

Call your local major grocery stores and ask as well.

This, I always got Dice from Kroger's. Ice cream shops are worth a try too. Make sure you take a well insulated cooler and don't seal it 100% as the dice will let of C02 as it warms up. Don't forgot some good gloves too, don't want to handle something that is -70 degrees with bare hands. Also do not use water with Dice, I used acetone back when I benched with it. But I don't think acetone would be good in a water cooling loop.

Last edited:
I use a 50/50 mix of methanol/water in my loop when running DICE. I typically avoid using wiper fluid when going this route as the CO2 released by the DICE will cause the detergents in the wiper fluid to foam and make a mess. Sourcing straight methanol can be a bit difficult but you can sometimes get it from an HVAC company as it is used in some geothermal loops.

Please be aware that running a 50/50 methanol mix that the flash point of the mixture is about 75F so it is possible to light off the fumes from the bucket until you get the water temperature reduced.

As Bill said acetone works with a DICE pot but I would not run it in a cooling loop as I do not believe the seals would hold up to it.

Methanol can widely be found as Methy Hydrate as far as I can tell it's the same stuff

Some racing fuels are 90%+ Methanol, or even 100% Methanol, but I'm not sure if its the same Methanol or they just call it that. I know most racers call ethanol fuel alcohol. So you never know.

Bigger RC shops and hobby shops will sell Methanol RC fuel, but its mixed with oil and may have nitro mixed in with it.

And yes acetone will likely eat seals and mess up plastic and the tubes.

Interesting, I learned something today. I typically buy bottles of methanol from a lab supply company

Most HW stores have it cheap used as a thinner, have used it it works for DICE

I’m hearing a lot of talk of placing things like antifreeze type chemicals in your loops, but if you use those things, won’t that destroy your water cooling components eventually? I’m gonna look up where Linus benchmarked the system I’m competing with and post on a sec, just gotta rewatch that YouTube, lol....

The parts I'm using aside from the block aren't typical "PC" water parts. I have a Koolance 380 A and I CPU blocks with acetal tops and rubber "O" rings they still work fine. No leaking or cracking. My tubing is more like a garden hose and I have a 750 GPH pond pump to drive it. These have been going for at least 3 years and no signs of deterioration. Had to replace an impeller in the pump but that's normal maintenance.

I use pretty much bog standard parts in most of my systems and do not have issues.

Vehicle antifreeze is actually an anti-corrosive as well So place nice in most systems. The downfall to this fluid, especially when cold, is the viscocity is very thick and hard to pump.

As for methanol, certain rubbers do not play well with methanol and this is a concern for o-rings. With that being said I have never had an o-ring fail in my benching system with methanol in it. If you are worried about rubber deterioration though you can always change the o-rings for something suitable for methanol. You can check methanol and rubber comparability by rubber type here. The advantage methanol has is its viscocity is slightly lower than water and does not thicken up as much as glycol when it is cold so it is easier on the pump and allows for a better overall flow rate which in turn heels with spot freezing in the system.

Do you have a link to his score/submission. Most records are set using LN2 or LHe and you well not be able to get close on a chilled water loop.

There is a huge temperature difference that allows for much higher overclocking.

A chilled water loop can get down to around -50C
A system using LN2 can get down to around -210C
A system using LHe can get down to around -268C

With the massive temperature differential between the systems a chilled water loop just cannot normally keep up with the other cooling methods.

You also need to factor in your efficiency in each benchmark. If your system is not set up properly with tyre right OS, drivers, etc your scores will suffer and you will not be competitive.

Hi Loch, he basically goes over his BM's for about 90 seconds starting at the point where I copied this clip...

He did score #5 in the world for using a top of the line i9 extreme and a titan v in 3D Mark, so I guess I'm going to have to do this build with a i9 extreme and save the threadripper for my personal build. Anyway, this will allow me to de-lid and add the liquid metal, giving me a slight boost.

His scores weren't that far off from number 1, so I think with some very simple cooling, we can achieve a top score. What do y'all think? Am I crazy like a fox or just plain crazy?

So I looked into the video and his score was 8092 points in Firestrike Ultra. I am not sure when he posted that score but that score would not even hit the top 10 at Hwbot and is no longer even in the top 100 on the 3Dmark scoreboard. He posted his scores on 3dMarks scoreboard which is different than HWBot. The current #1 spot is held by Kingpin with a score of 10,801 points with the cpu being run under LN2 at 5.7ghz. You can find a link to the submission below.

http://hwbot.org/submission/3830229_kingpin_3dmark___fire_strike_ultra_titan_v_10801_marks

Now please don't take me wrong I am not saying that you cannot be competitive and I am not trying to discourage you, I just want to temper your enthusiasm a little so that you are not disappointed and turned off to the sport. It is good to go into this with appropriate expectations on what is possible.

By the way did you sign up at Hwbot and if so what name are you using?

I agree with Loch. Do this because you want to do it and not because you want to chase and beat someone's score because any score can be beat at any moment. If you're doing this as a side hobby while being very costly and ruining your warranty via delidding, have at it as long as you know what you're getting yourself into. If you wanna be top scores in the globe, you need LN2 cooling and it will take some time to become more familiar with OCing.

Have you OCed a PC before or at least on air or AIO?

You'll need to do more research in this than just have the 'bug' of excitement on beating someone just because. It surely is fun but only if you're 100% all in.

So I looked into the video and his score was 8092 points in Firestrike Ultra. I am not sure when he posted that score but that score would not even hit the top 10 at Hwbot and is no longer even in the top 100 on the 3Dmark scoreboard. He posted his scores on 3dMarks scoreboard which is different than HWBot. The current #1 spot is held by Kingpin with a score of 10,801 points with the cpu being run under LN2 at 5.7ghz. You can find a link to the submission below.

http://hwbot.org/submission/3830229_kingpin_3dmark___fire_strike_ultra_titan_v_10801_marks

Now please don't take me wrong I am not saying that you cannot be competitive and I am not trying to discourage you, I just want to temper your enthusiasm a little so that you are not disappointed and turned off to the sport. It is good to go into this with appropriate expectations on what is possible.

By the way did you sign up at Hwbot and if so what name are you using?

FlashZ

I agree with Loch. Do this because you want to do it and not because you want to chase and beat someone's score because any score can be beat at any moment. If you're doing this as a side hobby while being very costly and ruining your warranty via delidding, have at it as long as you know what you're getting yourself into. If you wanna be top scores in the globe, you need LN2 cooling and it will take some time to become more familiar with OCing.

Have you OCed a PC before or at least on air or AIO?

You'll need to do more research in this than just have the 'bug' of excitement on beating someone just because. It surely is fun but only if you're 100% all in.

Yes, I've done some overclocking, but not nearly enough. I have no intention of rushing into this. It's why I'm asking a zillion questions. I'm also going to start with the cheaper components I have laying around before I start using the expensive stuff. My goal right now is to find a good way to chill the fluid being used in my water cooled rig (I've learned a lot from this thread) and also to learn all I can about modifying BIOS and the best OC practices for my GPU's so I can get the most out of them hopefully without bricking them. Only then am I gonna start...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I wouldn’t want to be stuck hanging with him all day, but he does have one of the all time coolest jobs ever...

FlashZ

Yes, I've done some overclocking, but not nearly enough. I have no intention of rushing into this. It's why I'm asking a zillion questions. I'm also going to start with the cheaper components I have laying around before I start using the expensive stuff. My goal right now is to find a good way to chill the fluid being used in my water cooled rig (I've learned a lot from this thread) and also to learn all I can about modifying BIOS and the best OC practices for my GPU's so I can get the most out of them hopefully without bricking them. Only then am I gonna start...

Wouldn't take much to build a recirculating LN2 loop, and LN2 is pretty cheap. :D

Back