• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there such a thing as a chilled water cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So I DEFINITELY want to get into liquid nitrogen cooling one day. But I have a lot to learn before then I feel like. Quick question- is LN2 only for cpu’s or can it be used on GPU’s too? If so, does it have a dramatic effect on them?

That's awful fancified gear right there! LOL I'm probably going to go with a radiator in my 16"x16" ceiling vent, first. Cool air forced through the rad should let me run no fans most of the time, so the Honda Civic water pump would be the only noise. And a Honda water pump ain't hard to cool, so I can wrap it in sound deadener. Win/win!

I know I've been vocal on some of Jay's videos but this one is one of my favorites.

You'll see why.....

Take it from someone who used to chase scores. I went window AC unit route with a unit built by Gary on xtreme systems. I finally got to front page just a measly 800points away from the leader. Rebooted into bios made my changes and reran bench got 1200 more points and was like BOOM MFer I got ya. Went to submit score only to find the leader and others were at it as well and now I was 10k behind them. Running -32c on the processor and -40c on gpu. Board was volt modded and pretty much anything I wanted to do to it was available. Just couldnt get close enough again. I've done just about every kind of xtreme cooling out there costing thousands if not 10's of thousands of dollars. I've never tried LN2 or any of those as they were not widely used then. But most of it went in to the round file after that.

So if you do it ....do it for fun not to try and beat someone whose running way colder and you'll never catch unless you have $$$$ to burn.

You're absolutely right, and I appreciate your guidance as I'm new to this. But you can't deny there's something competitive about this. I feel like this will be one of the most fun pastimes of my life, but I also feel like if I'm not trying to be the best at what I do, it almost doesnt make sense to try. I know that that line of thinking is folly, at least a little, because many people on here aren't #1 and they are having a blast doing what they do, but if I'm gonna sink all of my money into it, I really hope I get some great competitive results... In the end, all I really care about is contributing to the team. That's how I am in life...

There is nothing wrong with trying to be the best, we are simply trying to steer you in the right direction. Throwing money at it can get you the hardware, but the skills needed to take it next level are what will be built upon over time with lots of practice. Not every CPU and GPU are created equal.

I know and I'm really lucky I found a group of people who have so much knowledge and are willing to share it. I'm actually buying a lot of less expensive/less powerful stuff to practice on...

Find out where your local motorcycle shop gets their nitrogen for refilling shock absorbers and see if they can do something for you. :D

Or a local college science/chemistry department, but you'll need your own dewar.

I can get DICE for just over a dollar a pound so that's generally the route i go when I need to get something really cold.

Hi all, I’m just wondering if there’s such thing as a chilled water cooler (ie refrigerated?) my understanding is that the radiator cools the water rather passively, with the help of fans. My question is, is there such a thing as a water cooler that refrigerates the water to lower its temperature even more than just pushing it through the radiator?

If this is idiotic, I apologize for wasting your time, but I’m learning about WC and this keeps popping into my head... thanks :)

I would like to say after all the advice you've received you need to decide just what you want to do?
Are you after a dedicated benching machine or a computer that can actually be daily used with just the push of a button?
You can use chilled water cooling and go below ambient about 10c without a drop of condensation what so ever! (That's what I am running.)
Or you can insulate the motherboard as has been described to you, use an anti freeze solution and go much lower down to sub zero.
Unfortunately that takes you into cold bug territory and all that comes along with it.
There's a major difference from a benching machine that requires constant adjustments just to get and keep running, and a 24/7 overclocked stable computer.
You just have to decide how much of your daily time you are willing to invest on a temporary dream, because sooner or later you will go too far and fry it up!
Now if you're just flat out rolling in money you shouldn't really care, but if that's not your situation then you may need to rethink this? Silver

Thank you SS for both responses RE: cooling. I had already read your water cooling link and while I loved the idea, I was under the impression that it might not be possible for me because I heard those TECs required massive power (pls correct me if I’m wrong,) and living in an condo I am unfortunately limited to the size of what my breaker box can handle (I already had an electrician expand it as much as possible.)

As far as my plans, one machine I inquired about will be lots of fun IMO but will be my new personal machine. I’m gonna use it for full time heavy folding and business and coding. Then I’ll have one open air rig just for benching on a proper benching table. From here on out, I’m only talking about the benching rig. Eventually I’d like to be good enough at ambient benching that I’ll one day graduate to subambient.

This may very well be a temporary obsession, but I haven’t really been this obsessed with anything this much in my adult life, and I’m very grateful for this and enjoying it as much as I can.

PS I definitely appreciate your warning as I know this can be hard on the wallet. I have worked very hard for a long time and gotten very lucky and have reached a point of financial security where this can’t really effect my bottom line. This is probably the best way I can spend my money for pleasure these days IMO.

Best regards,

Rocky

Little off topic but if you really want to experience some good benching first hand and have a chance to work with some really good benchers with LN2 there will be a get together in Philly this year in July. If you can make it at least a few of us from the team will be there and you will be able to help with our gear and get to try it before you buy it so to speak. You can find the link for information below.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...planning-another-quot-SUMMER-BENCH-PARTY-quot

Thanks Loch, I was actually hoping to hear when the next meet up would be. I’m definitely interested in coming and probably will if schedule permits.

Thank you SS for both responses RE: cooling. I had already read your water cooling link and while I loved the idea, I was under the impression that it might not be possible for me because I heard those TECs required massive power (pls correct me if I’m wrong,) and living in an condo I am unfortunately limited to the size of what my breaker box can handle (I already had an electrician expand it as much as possible.)

As far as my plans, one machine I inquired about will be lots of fun IMO but will be my new personal machine. I’m gonna use it for full time heavy folding and business and coding. Then I’ll have one open air rig just for benching on a proper benching table. From here on out, I’m only talking about the benching rig. Eventually I’d like to be good enough at ambient benching that I’ll one day graduate to subambient.

This may very well be a temporary obsession, but I haven’t really been this obsessed with anything this much in my adult life, and I’m very grateful for this and enjoying it as much as I can.

PS I definitely appreciate your warning as I know this can be hard on the wallet. I have worked very hard for a long time and gotten very lucky and have reached a point of financial security where this can’t really effect my bottom line. This is probably the best way I can spend my money for pleasure these days IMO.

Best regards,

Rocky

As the old saying goes, there's more than one way to skin a cat!

I am running 3 24v 40mm x 40mm peltiers and supplying 12v to them so they're running on half of their spec'd power.

Which is low enough amperage power draw to run it all off of one single 12v rail Enermax 1200w power supply.

When the power button is pushed all 3 of the TEC assemblies are powered and start dropping the coolant temperature which reaches the 11c cut-out point in 6 minutes, at that point only one of the TEC assemblies is powered, the other 2 assemblies are only powered when the coolant temperature reaches 12c and shut back down at 11c completing the cycle.

My previous versions 1.0 and 2.0 did use a lot of power to operate the peltiers but 3.0 does not and I am even working on an even lower power consumption and smaller total footprint size wise as well, to make it more convenient and more attractive to others.

Last edited:
Wow, I can actually theoretically pull that off. One question, approx how big is their footprint? Are they very large?

I'm still going to say to focus more on taking in the beginner level stuff (OC on air/water) and worry about this later once you knock some of that fresh noob smell off. :clap:

Honestly, it feels like we are skipping steps here and do not have a solid base to stand on in the first place.

Wow, I can actually theoretically pull that off. One question, approx how big is their footprint? Are they very large?

Really everything you need to know is in the thread, IF, you went that route?

EarthDog is so right about you skipping steps especially if you have no water cooling experience in the first place?

High end air coolers and AIO water coolers, are the cheap alternative temporary fix because neither lasts forever and may not be even transferable to an upgraded setup.

Custom water cooling needs to be thoroughly thought out and planned, because it is a future investment that can be used on your next build, if, you plan it out right.

Even if things change drastically you would still have the radiators, reservoir, and pump or pumps, and maybe have to change a CPU or GPU water block but the base investment is reusable.

If you do not already have water cooling skills under your belt, don't even think about jumping on what I've built!

Back